Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got banned over at AZ!

Hybrid View

Wink Just got banned over at AZ!

Hey Folks! I haven't been over here in a while. While I was here I was kinda bashful. When I went over to AZ I managed to lose my shyness. I guess I went a bit overboard in fact. This afternoon I was banned from AZ for three months. I started a thread called, "$200 for a billiard university degree!!!" I called out some prominent instructors and I called Dr. Dave a shyster and a fraud. As I said, I somehow lost my shyness when I went to AZ.

I'm totally locked out over there! I had the "remember me" thing on at log in. If I hadn't, I guess I would still be able to access the site without logging in. Silly me!

So I hope you don't mind if I hang out here for a while!

wikileaks
    Shyster
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A shyster /ˈʃaɪstər/ is a slang word for someone who acts in a disreputable, unethical, or unscrupulous way, especially in the practice of law, politics or business.

In Britain, the idea of a 'shyster' is a person who earns a living in a fairground or in the 'coconut shy', generally believed to use unscrupulous and dishonest ways of earning money and avoiding giving out prizes. The word is used for anyone with the same traits.

Etymology[edit]

The etymology of the word is not generally agreed upon. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary says it is based on the German Scheißer (literally "defecator" but also used to refer to deceivers),[1] but the Oxford English Dictionary describes it as "of obscure origin", possibly deriving from a historical sense of "shy" meaning disreputable.[2] Various false etymologies have suggested an anti-Semitic origin, but there is no proof for that.[3] One source claims that the term originated in Philadelphia in 1843 from a disreputable attorney named "Schuster."[4]

elroy -- good to see u hav lost some of your shyness.
    But i am thinking that a shyster iz someone who takes the money but finds some way of not handing out the prize. I karnt see how this would apply to Dr Dave handing out a promised degree, unless of course lots of players pay the money and fulfill the necessarys but dont get awarded the degree.
    mac.

I suppoze that if a player payed hizher money for tuition and didnt get the amount or quality of tuition promised then that might be fraud.
    Did Dr Dave try to teach some sort of fraudulent aiming system? Praps CTE?
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 10-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

wikileaks
    United States[edit]
    US government[edit]
    The American government's 2006 Fraud Review concluded that fraud is a significantly under-reported crime, and while various agencies and organizations were attempting to tackle the issue, greater co-operation was needed to achieve a real impact in the public sector. The scale of the problem pointed to the need for a small but high-powered body to bring together the numerous counter-fraud initiatives that existed.

In the United States, common law recognizes nine elements constituting fraud:[7][8]
    1.a representation of an existing fact;
    2.its materiality;
    3.its falsity;
    4.the speaker's knowledge of its falsity;
    5.the speaker's intent that it shall be acted upon by the plaintiff;
    6.the plaintiff's ignorance of its falsity;
    7.the plaintiff's reliance on the truth of the representation;
    8.the plaintiff's right to rely upon it; and
    9.consequent damages suffered by the plaintiff.

To establish a claim of fraud, most jurisdictions in the United States require that each element be pled with particularity and be proved with clear, cogent, and convincing evidence (very probable evidence). The measure of damages in fraud cases is computed using the "benefit of bargain" rule, which is the difference between the value of the property had it been as represented and its actual value. Special damages may be allowed if shown proximately caused by defendant's fraud and the damage amounts are proved with specificity.

I think he's deceiving folks into thinking that there is some legitimacy to these degrees by calling the operation "billiard university," as if they really come from some pool version of a university, which obviously not the case. I suspect the only expense is $25 for a diploma and the only labor is watching the video and confirming the score. For this Dave and his partner simply pocket a huge amount of the $200 if the test taker takes the test on his or her own. If an instructor administers the test the instructor gets, of course, paid by the student for administering the test and then it states very clearly on the web site that the instructor gets either $100, $80, or $60 on what is paid for the diploma. The Doc and his partner pocket the rest. I think the deception lies in implying that the Doc and his instructors have the legitimacy to say, "Now that I've seen you take his test, I am forevermore in my mind going to think of you as a master of pool; and here, I'm going to print you up a diploma that says so. It will only cost $200."

Duzz the diploma help u to say get entry to a tournament or something else.
    Iz there face to face coaching provided. Or praps books and videos.
    A video sounds suspekt -- koodnt a player shoot all day untill heshe gets a nice looking runout.
    Iznt there an official player ranking system for 8ball -- like P7 and P6 and P5 -- based on league play or something?
    mac.

A billiards degree iz amateur stuff. Here iz what i would do.
    Firstly u make it a religion -- that way any fraud iz perfiktly legal (and in fakt iz rewarded with tax breaks).
    Pool Heaven sounds like a nice name (the CEO kood be called the The Prophet).
    A secret aiming system iz mandatory -- this kood be revealed by an Angel (while on the road to a coaching session).
    An aiming system needs a katchy name -- how about the Word.
    The Word shood be ambiguous and contradictory so that converts will show more respekt for The Prophet, and defend The Word even to the 1000th generation.
    mac.

Quote Originally Posted by His Boy Elroy View Post
    Hey Folks! I haven't been over here in a while. While I was here I was kinda bashful. When I went over to AZ I managed to lose my shyness. I guess I went a bit overboard in fact. This afternoon I was banned from AZ for three months. I started a thread called, "$200 for a billiard university degree!!!" I called out some prominent instructors and I called Dr. Dave a shyster and a fraud. As I said, I somehow lost my shyness when I went to AZ.

I'm totally locked out over there! I had the "remember me" thing on at log in. If I hadn't, I guess I would still be able to access the site without logging in. Silly me!

So I hope you don't mind if I hang out here for a while!
    They banned you because you called Dave a shyster and a fraud. You could have made your point without insult, and it would have been ok. I still don't get why this bothers you so much, its not as if you have to buy any of Daves stuff. Its a product like any other. Some think its worth it, others don't. Its not as if Dave says or implies its a real college degree that costs $200.