Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Test

Test

This is a test.
    May God bless all of you.

TEST. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ARE/IZ TRUE.............

Submitted by Michael Krieger of Liberty Blitzkrieg blog,
    We are number 1 right? USA! USA! No one can beat our wealth creation machine, our economic dynamism, our level playing field and our bastions of higher education. We have a middle class that is the envy of the world, right?
    Well, like so much of the ďAmerican dreamĒ we have been force fed for a generation or more, this perception is not based in reality whatsoever. Sure it may have been the case for a couple of decades immediately after World War 2. Before the military-industrial-Wall Street complex fully took over the political process, but it certainly isnít true any longer. Myths die hard and this one is particularly pernicious because it prevents people from changing things. As James Baldwin said:
    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.
    From the Huffington Post:
    America is the richest country on Earth. We have the most millionaires, the most billionaires and our wealthiest citizens have garnered more of the planetís riches than any other group in the world. We even have hedge fund managers who make in one hour as much as the average family makes in 21 years!
    This opulence is supposed to trickle down to the rest of us, improving the lives of everyday Americans. At least thatís what free-market cheerleaders repeatedly promise us.

We've known for years that Americans tend to be overweight and sedentary, and that our health care system, despite being the priciest in the world, produces some less-than-plum results. Health nerds who closely follow the news may even have known that we live shorter lives than people in other rich nations, and that infants in the U.S. die from various causes at far higher rates.

But a fresh report, out Wednesday, tapped vast stores of data to compare the health of affluent nations and delivered a worrisome new message: Americans' health is even worse than we thought, ranking below 16 other developed nations

If it were a country, New Orleans (with a rate 62.1 gun murders per 100,000 people) would rank second in the world.

Detroit’s gun-homicide rate (35.9) is just a bit less than El Salvador (39.9).

Baltimore’s rate (29.7) is not too far off that of Guatemala (34.8).

Gun murder in Newark (25.4) and Miami (23.7) is comparable to Colombia (27.1).

Washington D.C. (19) has a higher rate of gun homicide than Brazil (18.1).

Atlanta’s rate (17.2) is about the same as South Africa (17).

Cleveland (17.4) has a higher rate than the Dominican Republic (16.3).

Gun murder in Buffalo (16.5) is similar to Panama (16.2).

Houston’s rate (12.9) is slightly higher than Ecuador’s (12.7).

Gun homicide in Chicago (11.6) is similar to Guyana (11.5).

Phoenix’s rate (10.6) is slightly higher than Mexico (10).

Los Angeles (9.2) is comparable to the Philippines (8.9).

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/u-s-citie...oorICzbDqPm.99

U.S. Suicide Statistics (2001)
    Emergency Room Visits

Emergency room visits for self-inflicted injury: 400,000

All suicides

Number of deaths: 30,622

Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.8

Firearm Suicides

Number of deaths: 16,869

Deaths per 100,000 population: 5.9

Suffocation Suicides

Number of deaths: 6,198

Deaths per 100,000 population: 2.2

Poisoning Suicides

Number of deaths: 5,191

Deaths per 100,000 population: 1.8

One-quarter of all Americans met the criteria for having a mental illness within the past year, and fully a quarter of those had a "serious" disorder that significantly disrupted their ability to function day to day, according to the largest and most detailed survey of the nation's mental health, published yesterday.

Although parallel studies in 27 other countries are not yet complete, the new numbers suggest that the United States is poised to rank No. 1 globally for mental illness, researchers said.

"We lead the world in a lot of good things, but we're also leaders in this one particular domain that we'd rather not be," said Ronald Kessler, the Harvard professor of health care policy who led the effort, called the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.

The exhaustive government-sponsored effort, based on in-depth interviews with more than 9,000 randomly selected Americans, finds that the prevalence of U.S. mental illness has remained roughly flat in the past decade -- a possible glimmer of hope given that previous decades had suggested the rates were gradually rising.

But the rest of the news from the survey -- which did not include some of the most serious disorders, such as schizophrenia, for which patients are often institutionalized -- is mostly discouraging.

Less than half of those in need get treated. Those who seek treatment typically do so after a decade or more of delays, during which time they are likely to develop additional problems. And the treatment they receive is usually inadequate.

Younger sufferers are especially overlooked, the survey found, even though mental illness is very much a disease of youth. Half of those who will ever be diagnosed with a mental disorder show signs of the disease by age 14, and three-quarters by age 24. But few get help.

Many factors contribute to these failings, the reports conclude, including inattention to early warning signs, inadequate health insurance and the lingering stigma that surrounds mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    This is a test.
    I thought you were retired.

There isn't anything wrong with America that liberal ideology, properly applied by government experts, can't make worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sev View Post
    Don't be so testy.
    A medium sized fish [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Sev View Post
    I was just curious as to how long it would take lww to dig up his johnny d and West Virginia slim personas. They haven't posted since I left. No reason to post on here. Fats has me on ignore and lww's creations just followed me around saying "Why, Hondo, Why?" I figured he would have them post by now. Perhaps you didn't tell larry I posted?
    May God bless all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    I was just curious as to how long it would take lww to dig up his johnny d and West Virginia slim personas. They haven't posted since I left. No reason to post on here. Fats has me on ignore and lww's creations just followed me around saying "Why, Hondo, Why?" I figured he would have them post by now. Perhaps you didn't tell larry I posted?
    Now now.
    Why so testy?

I was thinking of you when I passed through WV twice in the last month.

There isn't anything wrong with America that liberal ideology, properly applied by government experts, can't make worse.