Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Open 40 second shot clock opinion?

US Open 40 second shot clock opinion?

This was a new part of the US Open this year-- the tv table only had a 40 second shot clock, and then, even it didn't use it all the time.

I had watched the Monday match on Accu-Stat's ppv stream between Warren Kiamco and Mika and another one with Raj Handal and Kassandra Bien without noticing any shot clock in effect. Also, the earliest day matches didn't seem to use that clock either.

I think it's odd to have a shot clock on only one match a round, and then not even use it consistently there. What gives with that?

There were other oddities with the clock. No player really called for it*, and it was automatically reset. Someone I think in the Accu-Stat staff called 'extension' when that happened, maybe to warn the player they were down to their last 40 seconds. (*Once Shane did ask for it and was told he'd already used it on the first shot of the rack. He had to rush a jacked up shot with 4 seconds to go on the clock and missed.) Sometimes there were resetting it at the 10 second warning mark (but that was early in the week-- later it was only reset when it hit double zeroes).

Not sure what the point was, or if there's been discussion or explanation anywhere. The Open did buy WPA sanctioning for $2,500, and maybe that had something to do with it?

I think the earliest AM matches didn't use the shot clock because there were no booth commentators there.

Also, many people told me in the finals that Lee Van Corteza was being hosed by the 40 second clock and Shane was being favored by not starting the clock right away. From what I saw, Lee's shot clock was handled correctly, so any discrepancy would have been some laxity with getting Shane's clock going. I think theoretically they didn't start it until a player got to the table (not when the balls stopped rolling from the last shot), plus pausing the clock when a jump cue or bridge needed to be changed for off table. Same with the break when the playing cue had to be switched out.
    A medium sized fish [...]

All I know is, I aint gonna be the guy holding the shot clock!

Ifn the clock ticks too long, what happens then??
    mac.

Don't know, mac.

Probably loss of inning. Maybe ball in hand to the opponent?

In snooker all they hav iz the nuklear option -- one warning, then loss of frame, then loss of match.
    I woz warned for slow play a couple of weeks ago (snooker). Snooker shood hav a shotclock.
    mac.

Well the loss of match is a nuclear option. The one warning first is mild, however. I pick that one.

I think if they are gong to use a shot clock it should be implemented across the entire tournament. Not just select matches on the TV table. Watched Earl play one of the Asian players on that table and the clock just stayed at 40. Never ticked down. Others on that table were timed. None of the other tables were timed.

Personally, I'm against it overall. I feel the player should have as much time as they need... to a certain extent of course.
    "The bad artists imitate, the great artists steal" -Pablo Picasso/Banksy

The next player has the option of shooting the shot or giving it back I believe.
    "The bad artists imitate, the great artists steal" -Pablo Picasso/Banksy

I agree. It's weird to have a different situation on just one table, and then, not to be uniform in treating even that table. What's up with that?

I don't think any of hte players would call time on an opponent, unless the opponent is the notorious Mike "Time Bandit" Wong.

Actually instead of a time clock, tournament directors should outright ban these annoyingly slow players, forever.