Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Shit.

I've heard that, but I think it is more like you can add a little to stretch it. I'm just guessing, but maybe adding less than half to what you already have.

As far as the OP goes, here's my take. My pastor, said he never used the new rubrics. He found it too difficult to deal with is as he put it. I think he was just being euphemistc. Real Holy Water is an excorcism rite. The new rubrics are kind of weak.

Side note. I had a batch that must have been really salty awhile back and it left a white abrasive stain on the bottom of the glass bowl we keep it in. For some reason, I took a brush to it and most of it was coming off, though I had tried before to no effect. Getting bold I tried to really scrub it. The bowl dropped on my kitchen floor which is in an old house. The floor is what they call mud tile. Everything breaks if dropped. It is very hard.

Anyone want to guess what happened to the bowl that has been holding this real Holy Water? It bounced about five times and not a scratch on it

I've heard this as well. Like, if you make it less than 50% "new water" it's ok.

Re: Fake Holy Water Problem

Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 11:34:PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Penelope

I heard someone say on Wednesday that if the Holy Water is running low, but there's still some there, you (as in, anyone) can fill the Holy Water font with tap water and the remaining Holy Water makes the newly added water into Holy Water, no additional blessing or anything needed. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I have a friend who was taught to fill the Holy Water dispenser by her priest that way. She goes faithfully every week and as long as there is a little water left, she supposedly can add plain tap water and the blessing is supposed to continue with the new water

Here's St Thomas' take on it:

Objection 3. Further, if any liquid be mixed with the consecrated wine, then that also would appear to be consecrated; just as water added to holy-water becomes holy. But the consecrated wine is truly Christ's blood. Therefore the liquid added would likewise be Christ's blood otherwise than by consecration, which is unbecoming. Therefore no liquid can be mingled with the consecrated wine.

Reply to Objection 3. As Pope Innocent says in the aforesaid Decretal, "if after the consecration other wine be put in the chalice, it is not changed into the blood, nor is it mingled with the blood, but, mixed with the accidents of the previous wine, it is diffused throughout the body which underlies them, yet without wetting what surrounds it." Now this is to be understood when there is not sufficient mixing of extraneous liquid to cause the blood of Christ to cease to be under the whole; because a thing is said to be "diffused throughout," not because it touches the body of Christ according to its proper dimensions, but according to the sacramental dimensions, under which it is contained. Now it is not the same with holy water, because the blessing works no change in the substance of the water, as the consecration of the wine does.

So he says...we can add water. I think.

My four brothers are not practicing their faith so I plan to give them a copy of the prophecy of the Three Days of Darkness, two blessed candles, some Holy Salt and some Holy Water to try to spark their senses. The Latin Mass is just offered in my diocese on the first Sunday of each month so on the first Sunday of Feb. I asked the priest if he would bless some bees wax candles if I brought some in. He said he would and said I could probably get some bees wax candles at a local health food store. He knew some of the mystics that had the vision of the Three Days of Darkness said only bees wax candles.

So this past Sunday, the first Sunday of March I took in the bees wax candles, some sea salt and an angel candle holder. I told the priest what I was needing them for. After Mass the priest used an old black book to look up the blessing for the candles, a different blessing to bless the sea salt and another blessing for the sacramental candle holder.

After he did that I asked him if he would bless some water from a Marian Shrine east of where I live where there has been apparitions of the Blessed Virgin. Obviously knowing it wasn't he asked me if it was approved. I said no, so he said even if it is already Holy Water he can bless it again and to bring it in next month. I asked him if he wanted me to bring in some of the sea salt that he has just blessed. He said that won't be necessary cause he has some exorcised salt there that he'll use to bless the Holy Water.

I wouldn't have considered asking a priest at the NO Mass to do this because a few years ago I asked a priest to bless a Bible for me. He just made the sign of the cross over the Bible and said that I could have done that myself.

Now I want to say that I am very thankful for the Fish Eaters forum and the very knowledgeable replies you find in here, for this thread particularly dymphna17. Thanks. I already thought the priest that says the Latin Mass in our diocese was a good priest. This forum and this thread has reinforce that

I asked a Traditional priest at dinner this evening, about adding water to holy water, and if the additional water became holy. He said that if a 1/4 of the holy water had been used from the bottle, then you can top up with normal tap water and you will have a full bottle of holy water. However, you can only do this once. So if you have a bottle which is 3/4 full of holy water, you can add water to it to make it a fll bottle.

The RCIA director (who will soon be ordained as a deacon) at my NO parish told our RCIA group that a Bible can't be blessed since it is the Word of God and therefore already blessed. Is this incorrect?

Blessing is the dedication of something to the service of God. The Word of God is already solely dedicated to that, so AFAIK Bibles aren't blessed. We should treat every Bible as a blessed object for that reason.

I think "can't be" is too strong. It would appear to be redundant to bless a Bible, though

I had a Trad priest refuse to bless a Bible for that very reason.

London, Oct 7 (UNI) British Muslims have been warned by the government of hazardous fake holy water being sold to them by criminal gangs. In a multi-million pounds racket operated by illegal groups, fake holy water claimed to have brought from Mecca is being sold to the muslims living in Britain. The black market trade in fake 'Zam Zam' water - named after the 14ft-deep well in the holy city in Saudi Arabia from where the genuine substance flows - is becoming a serious concern for health officials. They have found the water smuggled into the UK illegally and labelled as being brought from the holy spring, visited by millions of Muslims every year as part of the Haj pilgrimage, contains high levels of arsenic and nitrates that can be fatal if regularly consumed over time. The racket has alarmed Muslim leaders who have called on their followers to boycott all forms of the product on sale in Britain. In one recent case, an environmental health expert Dr Yunes Teinaz found an Islamic bookshop that was selling an estimated 20,000 litres of Zam Zam water a week. ''This water is contaminated and unsafe for the consumer,'' Mr Teinaz was quoted as saying by the Observer. ''And people are making millions of pounds selling this stuff,'' he added. The water selling for 3 pounds per small can, is a huge moneyspinner for the gangs involved. Mr Teinaz said it was unclear exactly where the water was coming from, but that it cannot be genuine Zam Zam water. The commercial export of the holywater from Saudi Arabia is illegal. The bottling of the genuine substance and its distribution is monitored strictly by the Saudi government. Surveys reveal some of the imported water contains almost three times as much nitrate and twice as much arsenic as the World Health Organisation believes is safe. Mr Teinaz said some unscrupulous operators in Britain were mixing normal tap water with salt and marketing it as the holy water. Zam Zam water is sacred within Islam and its provenance is recorded in Islamic texts. Today Muslims from all over the world visit the well, believing it to be divinely blessed.
    Read more at: http://news.oneindia.in/2007/10/07/u...191740551.html