Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Twelve Eliminators.

When u say on the wall it reminds me that one of my 3pce cues iz on the wall here right now. Most of my 3pce combos hav a slight bend koz I am mixing shaft-pces and mid-pces. If Eliminator midjoints were all perfikt there wouldn't be a bend -- actually they would hav a slight bend koz I don't do a good job of taking wood off the shaft-pces (when i take the 13mm down to 9mm).

Anyhow most of the shafts need (a bit of) straightening (partly koz of my mixing, partly koz of my unwooding). So i poke the cue throo a brass bracket under my billiard room shelving, and let the cues wt take the bend out of the shaft-pce. This duznt work very well, it takes a long long time (and then the silly shafts slowly get their bend back). So, this time, i hung a book over the butt to get more pressure, and i left the cue on the wall for almost 2 weeks (while i went to Adelaide). When i got back i found i had overdunn it, the shaft-pce had a bend the other way. I layed the cue on my table for a few days, waiting for the unbend to start ununbending, but nothing. So now the cue iz on the wall again but the opposite way, but this time i aint uzing that there book (not yet anyhow).

For a while back there i had four cues poking throo brackets under my shelving, all getting unbent.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 02-10-2014 at 03:38 PM.

I think that cuesmiths throw BB-grade maple into the bins marked for sneakypetes. BB-grade would be mainly nonstraight grain. I hav seen it sayd that a bent grain duznt matter az long az the grain iz straight and parallel near the tip.

Having most of the grain on the west side -- this meens that your (18oz) (maple) shaft haz some wide grain and some narrow. I hav some shafts like this too.
    I guess that in theory this might meen that the shaft will tend to kick one way (towards the weaker wide grain)(ie az if it had a slight bend). Probly not a big deal.
    mac.

Haha, so far mine is still straight! If I had that many cues I dont think I could make a ball! I'd be over thinking the cue aspect. Cant you hang the whole cue from the tip, and let gravity straighten it out?

TO STRAIGHTEN A SHAFT.
    Hanging straight-down .............................................. 0.0000001/10. (time needed = 90,000,000 days).
    Leaning in a corner............................................ ....... 0.1/10. (time needed = 90 days)
    Cantilevering under own wt (with butt-pce in place)...... 1/10. (time needed = 9 days).
    Cantilevering, with a book on the end of the butt-pce... 9/10. (time needed = 1 day).

I left the cue cantilevered on the wall overnite with a book. Its ununbending slowly. Might take say a half of the 12 days spent unbending.
    Lemmeseenow --- hanging straight = 90,000,000 days = 246,500 years.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 02-12-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Seeing az i might uze any one shaft with any one of three mid-pieces i checked the bends (at joint-1) for eech of the three mid-pieces.
    I marked the direktion of the bends uzing colored pvc tape (green and red and black).
    I noticed that the bends (if any) were all in nearly identikal direktions.
    And when unbending i targeted the midrange of the colored tapes.

During the billiards season (starts Monday) i will settle on a favorit mid-pce, and then bend or unbend or ununbend to target that mid-pce.
    And, i hav (will hav) say 3 favorit shaft-pieces (i think i hav 9 shaft-pieces, karnt remember).
    During the season i will probly turn up with 3 shaft-pieces and 2 mid-pieces and 2 butt-pieces in my ukulele case. Mainly for spares.
    mac.

Its hot down here, not billiards weather, karnt get any juices going for praktis.
    The air iz very smokey, from fires elsewhere in the State. And i karnt start one of my fire-pumps.
    But the smoke iznt giving the horseflys a headache -- they were terrible yesterday (in the woodshed), probly had 10 on me every time i sat down for a rest. Looking at horsefly traps. The horses are wearing anti-fly leggings, and we spray them allover with anti-fly spray.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 02-12-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Wood joints are more durable but they are somehow expensive. The metals ones are cheaper but not as durable as wood. So, picking one really depends on your budget.

My local cuesmith duzz a great big klunky brass joint for $150 while u wait. He would havta turn raw brass joints down I think.
    But the 2 small pieces for a 5/16-18 woodtowood are right to go -- and are bout $2 on ebay.
    The worst thing bout Parris and other topname snooker cues iz their bronze-age joints. Karnt last.
    mac.