Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3pce 4pce 5pce cues.

3pce 4pce 5pce cues.

I see on ebay and google that there are new or old 3pce 4pce & 5pce pool cues out there.
    Theze are not popular, presumably they dont play well.
    However i am thinking that theze cues hav less squerv than other pool cues, of the same size, eg 13mm.
    If someone out there haz one, kood they advize whether they hav less or more squerv pleez.
    I am thinking that they hav more squirt, but lots of swerv, and thusly less nett squerv.
    Thanx. mac.

I have a 3 piece I use, a lucasi. Pretty much plays like crap, but its nice in tight spots at small bars. I'd say deflection is high, don't notice any more swerve than normal. But I would think it all depends on the particular cue and its frontal end mass. Some might be cheap enough to use lighter, softer wood for its shaft.

I guess that the lucasi iz just a 2pce with the butt in 2 pieces allso so that ukan uze the cue in tight places or for jumps.
    I woz meening more along the lines of having a (brass?) joint closer to the qtip, ie where in theory it will make the cue shoot like krapp.
    mac.

I am tempted to buy one of thoze 5pce elcheapo pool cues from theusofa ebay but they kost $50 plus about $30 for postage.
    I hav a theory that krapp 5pce cues would win a squerv kontest gainst muecci and predator.
    And i am thinking that lo-squirt (lo-deflexion) cues aint necessaryly good.
    The reason a 5pce cue might look good squirt-wize iz that a 5pce cue would hav krapp-power.
    Dr Dave's (and Dr Shepard's) equations (for squirt) wouldnt i think account for krapp-power.
    Its like i sayd long ago -- one needs to measure pure-squirt. But no-one listens.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 08-08-2013 at 09:58 PM.

True about my lucasi, its got a regular shaft. No brass joint and it jumps like crap too. I also own low deflection cues, and I like them. How good they are depends on the players preference, but they do deflect less. I cant imagine a 5 piece cue with low squirt, especially with a brass joint anywhere near the tip. Put a clothes pin on any shaft, or any type of weight, and it should deflect more. The swerve part I'm not so sure of. I usually only consider the tip and how well it grabs, never thought much about weight distribution.

I am thinking that thems lo-deflection cues are aktually hi-deflection, ie the shaft pushes off lots (not less). Meaning they are lo-squirt (ie hi deflection).

A brass joint very near the qtip (say 8") might giv slightly less deflection and slightly more squirt (but not much less i think). This would be proven by pure-squirt tests. But what dr dave and bob and patrick and dr onoda and dr shepard & Co dont realize iz that a wt at about 14" from the qtip robs the cue of power, and hencely u get lots lots more swerv (if u jackup, which everyone duzz). [In a pure-squirt test there iz nearnuff zero swerv koz u hold the cue level or koz the ball iz hanging on a pendulum].

Hencely a krapp cue with krapp power kan potentially blow muecci and predator into the weeds (squerv wize).
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 08-10-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Every cue iz better than every other cue, for some shot somewhere for someone some time. But on a 12' table lo-squirt cues kan be toxik.
    Players dont like hi-squirt cues koz when uzing sidespin u havta aim a long way off your target. With a lo-squirt cue u dont needta aim off so much.

But with an ultra lo-squirt cue u needta aim off a long way to the other side. A pitcher aint gonna get many strike-outs if every pitch kurvs 10' (he/she would rarely get the ball over the plate).
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 08-10-2013 at 04:20 PM.

A few years ago i got a local cuesmith to put a joint in the shaft of a 3/4jointed ash snooker cue that i had. I will hav a praktis with it and might uze it in my game next week. It iz 10.8mm. And i made that leaded wt that fits in the end of the butt. I will report back later. mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 08-10-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Man those joints look heavy! Now I think I understand what you're saying, its interesting. Not sure if less power would result in more swerve, but it sounds logical. I havent tested but would think, that low squirt cues are high in swerve. I usually dont consider the difference between squirt and deflection. I only pay attention to the net effect, the cue ball reaction. The thing is, its hard for me to relate. Compared to 9 ball, swerve doesn't come into play as much as it does with snooker. I could see swerve screwing me up big time on a 12 footer. Only snooker I've played is 9 ball with big balls....just for practice.
    Last edited by Bambu; 08-11-2013 at 09:05 AM.

I asked the cuesmith to make the joint 12" from the tip. He talked me into 14". And in the end he made it 16". What with experimenting and thinning the tip and then thickening the tip the L iz now 11".
    I asked for the joint to be heavy, up to 5oz. He made it 4.5oz. I wanted the balance well forward, and figured it would be eezy to take off wt gradually untill i woz happy. It iz a bit too heavy now, especially seeing az it aint 16" no more, and i will take off an ounce one day.
    It iz so noze-heavy that i havta wear a bandaid on my bridge-thumb -- otherwize skin wears away and hurts.
    But for sure it kan do things and play like no other cue.
    mac.

You actually use that thing, or just an experiment?