Thread: 3 Piece Cues.

Threaded View

I measured the wts and balances of cues using my 4 modyfyd butts (4" mini-butt, 7" mini-butt, 18-13/16" butt-pce, 20" butt-pce) and various non-modyfyd butts.

(A29a) An untouched 19.50oz 13mm Eliminator -- this had a balance point 18-1/8" from the butt (shaft iz 29" long, cue iz 58" long)(A29a iz a 20oz Eliminator, it haz a very small wt-bolt in the very end of the butt, actual wt iz 19.50oz koz 0.45oz rubber bumper haz been remooved).
    (A29b) An untouched 17.45oz Eliminator -- this had a balance point 2-5/8" closer to the qtip than A29a (shaft iz 29" long, cue iz 58" long)(A29b iz an 18oz Eliminator, it haznt got a wt-bolt, actual wt iz 17.45oz koz 0.45oz rubber bumper haz been remooved).
    (A29-10). I hav thinned some of my 29" shafts down from 13mm to 10mm (and even 9mm) for English Billiards, and the cue at mid-cue (ie at the joint here), iz too thin, too whippy (even for piddly little 2-1/15" balls).

(B4) One of my 2pce modyfyd Eliminators (wt = 21.25oz) -- this had a balance point 1/4" closer to the qtip than A1.
    [Aktually this iz a 3pce but the third pce iz a mini-butt 4" long, and the shaft-pce that I uze with this haz had 3" cut off it].
    (B7) [And I hav a 2nd mini-butt which iz 7" long which givs me another range of options, which i ignore here].
    (B9) [And I hav a 3rd mini-butt which iz 9" long which givs me another range of options, which i ignore here].

(C20g) My goanna 3pce (wt = 21.47oz)(goanna butt-pce = 20") -- this had a balance point 1-3/8" closer to the qtip than A29a (when uzing a thin shaft) and 2-1/8" (when uzing a thick shaft).
    (C20b) My bullant 3pce (wt = 21.30oz)(bullant butt-pce = 18-13/16") -- this had a balance point 1-5/8" closer to the qtip than A29a (when uzing a thin shaft) and 2-1/4" (when uzing a thick shaft).

Hencely my 3pce cues C20g and C20b are not very noze-heavy, even tho their thickness at 1/3rd point (0.850") iz the same
    az the thickness of (A13a) and (A13b) at their 1/2 point. In fakt the balances of my 3pce cues are similar to (A29b).

But balance and noze-heavyness are two separate things.
    A cue can hav a balance-point nearer the butt than some other cue, and yet be more noze-heavy than that other cue, if it iz heavyer. Koz, noze-heavyness iz a combination of wt and balance. Noze-heavyness iz in effect the wt supported by your bridge. Most of the feel of noze-heavyness iz felt by your bridge.

But strangely your grip kan allso feel noze-heavyness (I think).
    But praps it karnt. Praps a blind-test would show that your grip iz blind to noze-heavyness. This seems more logical. Yet, the grip knows something. Praps the grip feels the bridge-drag when u feather back and forward. Ok, what if u wore a Teflon bridge-glove to reduce drag, would that fool your grip. I might look into this. In fakt reducing bridge-drag might also fool your bridge.

I know that in the past I hav played with very noze-heavy cues, and I hadta wear a cloth-Band-Aid on my bridge-thumb to
    stop my thumb from rubbing raw. The Band-Aid woz needed to protect my skin, but at the same time it greatly reduced bridge-drag, and this somehow made the cue feel less noze-heavy. I might try it for my 3pce cues (not that I am in any danger of loozing skin).

EXPERIMENT THAT ANYONE KAN DO AT HOME.
    Equipment. U need (1) one player, (2) one blindfold (for player), (3) one very noze-heavy cue, and say 9 less nose-heavy cues, (4) a local anaesthetic (for player's bridgehand), (5) a cloth Band-Aid (for player's bridge thumb, to reduce cue-drag).
    Procedure Run 1. Blindfolded player iz handed 10 different cues and player feathers cues and advises if cues feel noze-heavy or a little or not.
    Procedure Run 2. Blindfolded player (with injected bridge-hand) iz handed 10 different cues and player feathers cues and advises if cues feel noze-heavy or a little or not.
    Procedure Run 3. Blindfolded player (with injected bridge-hand) iz handed 10 different cues and player feathers cues and advises if cues feel noze-heavy or a little or not. For the very noze-heavy cue, a cloth Band-Aid iz stuck onto the bridge-thumb (unbeknown to player).
    Procedure Run 4. Blindfolded player (with injected bridge-hand and band-aided bridge thumb) iz handed 10 different cues and player feathers cues and advises if cues feel noze-heavy or a little or not.
    Data. Draw xy graph of true balance and guessed balance (or mightbe an xyz graph).
    Report. Write report, and publish (after peer review).
    Acclaim. Awarded Nobel Prize for billiards. Tickertape parade. Speaking engagements. Star guest on oprah.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 12-30-2013 at 11:20 PM.