Thread: Fired Army Whistleblower Receives $970K for Exposing Halliburton No-Bid Contract

Fired Army Whistleblower Receives $970K for Exposing Halliburton No-Bid Contract

Finally, the resolution of one of the most significant U.S. government whistleblower cases to result from the Iraq war. The former chief oversight official of contracts at the Army Corps of Engineers has reached a settlement six years after she was demoted for publicly criticizing a multi-billion-dollar, no-bid contract to Halliburton. That’s the company that was formerly headed by, well, then-Vice President Dick Cheney. The official, Bunnatine Greenhouse, known as Bunny Greenhouse, had accused the Pentagon of unfairly awarding the contract to Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root, KBR. Testifying before Congress in June 2005, Bunny Greenhouse called the contract the worst case of government abuse she had ever witnessed in her 20-year career.

EXCLUSIVE: Fired Army Whistleblower Receives $970K for Exposing Halliburton No-Bid Contract in Iraq

Video link: http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/2...Dmg.like%22%5D

Bunnatine "Bunny" Greenhouse, the former chief oversight official of contracts at the Army Corps of Engineers, has reached a $970,000 settlement six years after she was demoted for publicly criticizing a multi-billion-dollar, no-bid contract to Halliburton—the company formerly headed by then-Vice President Dick Cheney. Greenhouse had accused the Pentagon of unfairly awarding the contract to Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root. Testifying before Congress in June 2005, she called the contract the worst case of government abuse she had ever witnessed in her 20-year career. Just two months after that testimony, Greenhouse was demoted at the Pentagon, ostensibly for "poor performance." She had overseen government contracts for 20 years and had drawn high praise in her rise to become the senior civilian oversight official at the Army Corps of Engineers. With the help of the National Whistleblowers Center, Greenhouse filed a lawsuit challenging her demotion. In a Democracy Now! broadcast exclusive, Greenhouse announces that a settlement has been reached in what is seen as a major victory for government whistleblowers. We’re also joined by Greenhouse’s attorney, Michael Kohn, and by Stephen Kohn, executive director of the National Whistleblowers Center. [includes rush transcript]

TRANSCRIPT

This is a rush transcript. Copy may not be in its final form.

AMY GOODMAN: Today, a Democracy Now! exclusive, as we turn to the resolution of one of the most significant U.S. government whistleblower cases to result from the Iraq war. The former chief oversight official of contracts at the Army Corps of Engineers has reached a settlement six years after she was demoted for publicly criticizing a multi-billion-dollar, no-bid contract to Halliburton. That’s the company that was formerly headed by, well, then-Vice President Dick Cheney. The official, Bunnatine Greenhouse, known as Bunny Greenhouse, had accused the Pentagon of unfairly awarding the contract to Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root, KBR. Testifying before Congress in June 2005, Bunny Greenhouse called the contract the worst case of government abuse she had ever witnessed in her 20-year career.

BUNNATINE GREENHOUSE:
    My name is Bunnatine H. Greenhouse. I have agreed to voluntarily appear at this hearing in my personal capacity, because I have exhausted all internal avenues to correct contracting abuse I observed while serving this great nation as the United States Army Corps of Engineers senior procurement executive. In order to remain true to my oath of office, I must disclose to appropriate members of Congress serious and ongoing contract abuse I cannot address internally. I can unequivocally state that the abuse related to contracts awarded to KBR represents the most blatant and improper contract abuse I have witnessed during the course of my professional career.
    AMY GOODMAN: Just two months after that testimony, Bunny Greenhouse was demoted at the Pentagon, ostensibly for "poor performance." She had overseen government contracts for 20 years, had drawn high praise in her rise to become the senior civilian oversight official at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. With the help of the National Whistleblower Center, Bunny Greenhouse filed a lawsuit challenging her demotion.

In this Democracy Now! exclusive, she joins us today from her home to announce that a settlement has been reached in what’s seen as a major victory for government whistleblowers.
    If there is a dangerous forum ... that's the one. -- LWW (referring to BD NPR)

First off ... nothing will stop ass killings entirely. -- LWW (AKA Vladimir Ulyanov, AKA WV Slim, AKA MrsLWW, .....)

Whistleblower's Mother
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article possibly contains original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding inline citations. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. (January 2012)
    Arrangement in Grey and Black No.1
    Artist James McNeill Whistleblower
    Year 1871
    Type Oil on canvas
    Dimensions 144.3 cm × 162.4 cm (56.8 in × 63.9 in)
    Location Musée d'Orsay, Paris
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...lersmother.jpg

Arrangement in Grey and Black No.1, famous under its colloquial name Whistleblower's Mother, is a painting in oils on canvas created by the American-born painter James McNeill Whistleblower in 1871. The painting is 56.81 by 63.94 inches (144.3 cm × 162.4 cm), displayed in a frame of Whistleblower's own design in the Musée d'Orsay in Paris, having been bought by the French state in 1891. It is now one of the most famous works by an American artist outside the United States. It has been variously described as an American icon[1][2] and a Victorian Mona Lisa.[3]
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 12-16-2013 at 01:49 AM.