Thread: Thousand-Ball Drills...Really?

Thousand-Ball Drills...Really?

I got the idea of getting some of my game back or at least improved, and I keep reading reports that your drills will need to be a thousand shot balls in the same drill.

I honestly believe I would pull the rest of my greying hair out about "shot 50", much less anywhere in the middle or toward 1000. I am an "old dog" and frankly, I cannot imagine doing drills like this. I believe I would UN-remember most of my stable & dependable shots which I count on in the process. sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

I agree that 1000 might be wastefull (for one drill).

Especially if uzing chalkmarks. When uzing chalkmarks (ie placing the balls in the exakt same pozzy eech time), after a while u end up thinking and seeing differently -- no value at all.
    With chalkmarks, praps 10 shots iz a good limit (unless u are having bad problems).

Without chalkmarks, praps 20.

If the drill involves lots of varyation (ie varying pace, varying stun, varying skrew, varying english) then obviously u kan shoot for longer (praps 1000 even), especially if inklooding a mirror-image shot.

Lemmeseenow -- 1000 shots = @ 10sec per shot = 360 shots per hr = 3hrs per 1000 shots (inklooding coffee breaks).
    mac.

Handy Hint -- watch for the The Shnoll Effekt.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 02-06-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Have you ever done a 1000 shot drill Mac, start to finish?
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

I hav never counted my drills. Hell, I (allmost) never even count my praktis breaks (English billiards here).
    I often spent 9am to say 7pm (10hrs) on mainly solo praktis, mainly drills.
    I would start with 20 minutes of hitting the qball straight upndown the table. I remember one day I went so badly at this drill that I did it until lunchtime (noon) (lunch woz allways a mix of coke and stout, no hard food). That might hav been 2000 shots.
    mac.

I just remembered. That there episode ended with the most amazing thing I hav ever seen on a 12' table. When hitting upndown i uzually experiment with stance etc etc. This time nothing worked. Shooting upndown the centerline (over the spots) iznt eezy, but to take it to the next level what i sometimes did iz i placed a red against the center of the topcush, and the qball doublekisses back and hits the bottomcush (not az eezy to do az u might think).

In the end after say 3hrs of going badly i got angry and simply hit the qball up the table, without deliberately aiming the cue at the center of the qball, and without deliberately aiming the cue at the center of the red. In fakt i ignored the cue (u know what i meen). I just uzed feel for everything. In fakt in the past i had uzed this feel method successfully in competition. So, i banged the qball real real hard, up the centerline, it doublekissed back and hit the center of the baulkcush, then it rebounded back up the centerline, meeting the red near the centerspot, both balls colliding and recoiling back from eech other, and both balls finishing sitting on the exakt centerline of the table.

I aint seen such a shot before or since.

Once when i showed my mate Steve this doublekiss drill, Steve tryd it and went surprizingly badly. But he got better, and in the end with one attempt he got the qball and red to met near the centerspot (like my shot did), but for some reason hiz qball and red met a few inches off the centerline, and thusly didn't end up stopping on the centerline.
    I might add that Steve haz won a world snooker championship, haz played snooker on tv, and had eliminated Ding from a big snooker tournament, and haz made three consecutive 100 breaks (snooker) in a 3 frame competition.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 02-07-2014 at 01:10 AM.

Didn't Jack Niklaus say that if u hit one or two good shots with a club on the range then any more (identical) shots (with that club) are wasted??

Jack Newton sayd that pros don't praktis before a round, all they are doing iz finding their rhythm and timing.
    mac.

While practicing, it is best to use a striped ball so you can easily view the rotation of the ball's axis using varying angles and cue arc.

I used to uze a poolball (No4??) for the upndown-shot (and other drills). Place the stripe vertically. Wobble shows (unwanted) sidespin.
    Nowaday English Billiards haz a polkadot qball, which iz just az good (for showing unwanted sidespin). Aktually, a polkadot iz better than a striped. Koz, there iz a problem with a striped qball (no its not the The Shnoll Effekt). Lets call the problem Mac's Certainty Principle.

When u uze a plain qball there iz uncertainty re the pozzy of the center of the qball.
    When u uze a striped qball (placing the stripe vertically online) that uncertainty diminishes.
    The stripe helps u to see/hit the center of the qball. Not ideal. A drill uzing a striped qball iz mostly all lies.
    A polkadot qball duznt suffer this problem az badly az a striped qball.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 02-10-2014 at 04:46 PM.