Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 15OZ BREAK CUE.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ballarat Australia
    Posts
    5,933

    15OZ BREAK CUE.

    Pub 8ball down under uzes 2"balls (and 7' table), and a 1-7/8" qball. I heard that a 15oz cue woz good for the breakshot.

    Duzz anyone in theusofa uze a very lite breakcue for your bigger balls.??
    I suppoze 17oz iz good in theory (for some players). So duzz anyone uze 16oz.??
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 03-11-2015 at 06:05 PM.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ballarat Australia
    Posts
    5,933
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
    The optimal cue weight can vary a lot from one individual to the next. For more info, see*) Regards, Dave
    Thanx Dr Dave. TPA30 iz excellent. I am thinking that it would be good (and would go to the heart of my query) if TPA30 had a (theoretical) graph of Vb versus Ms/Mb for a typical cue-break-speed, (ie velocity of ball versus mass ratio of cue/ball). Our 2" ball probly weighs 4.5oz, and our 1-7/8" qball praps 4.3oz (just guessing). So our 15oz breakcue givs 15/4.3=3.49. (USA=17oz/6oz=2.83).
    mac.

    Re TPA30, i reckon that instead of saying 10% more (cue or qball or whatever) speed increases (break or whatever) power by 21% i am thinking that power (& energy) are not good (appropriate) terms. I am thinking that impulse iz the better term. In which case one might say 10% more speed increases impulse by 10%. Especially if momentum woz uzed in the calculations.

    If energy woz uzed in the calcs then this in a way makes the use of an energy related term like "work" slightly appropriate, but nonetheless i think that "power" (another energy related term) iznt appropriate. Power iz a friendly word in an ear-candy nontechnical way (compared to impulse and momentum and work), but i reckon that power iz less meaningfull both technically and practically (eg 21% iz missleading). I reckon impulse or momentum would be better (eg 10% iz true and real and meaningfull).
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 03-12-2015 at 05:04 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,956
    Quote Originally Posted by cushioncrawler View Post
    Thanx Dr Dave. TPA30 iz excellent.
    Thanks Mac.

    Quote Originally Posted by cushioncrawler View Post
    I am thinking that it would be good (and would go to the heart of my query) if TPA30 had a (theoretical) graph of Vb versus Ms/Mb for a typical cue-break-speed, (ie velocity of ball versus mass ratio of cue/ball). Our 2" ball probly weighs 4.5oz, and our 1-7/8" qball praps 4.3oz (just guessing). So our 15oz breakcue givs 15/4.3=3.49. (USA=17oz/6oz=2.83).
    mac.
    See the plot on page 9. This plot applies to all cue speeds.

    Quote Originally Posted by cushioncrawler View Post
    Re TPA30, i reckon that instead of saying 10% more (cue or qball or whatever) speed increases (break or whatever) power by 21% i am thinking that power (& energy) are not good (appropriate) terms. I am thinking that impulse iz the better term. In which case one might say 10% more speed increases impulse by 10%. Especially if momentum woz uzed in the calculations.

    If energy woz uzed in the calcs then this in a way makes the use of an energy related term like "work" slightly appropriate, but nonetheless i think that "power" (another energy related term) iznt appropriate. Power iz a friendly word in an ear-candy nontechnical way (compared to impulse and momentum and work), but i reckon that power iz less meaningfull both technically and practically (eg 21% iz missleading). I reckon impulse or momentum would be better (eg 10% iz true and real and meaningfull).
    mac.
    I think the use of the term "power" is OK here since I clearly define it and since this is how pool players typically use the word. A powerful break gives the best spread and farthest ball-travel distances. This is directly related to the energy imparted to the CB.

    Regards,
    Dave

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ballarat Australia
    Posts
    5,933
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
    Thanks Mac. See the plot on page 9. This plot applies to all cue speeds..............Regards, Dave
    The graph on page9 suggests that a 15oz cue with 4.5oz (pub 8ball) qball iz az efficient az a 20oz cue with 6oz qball.
    And a 15oz cue with 5oz (English billiards) qball iz az efficient az a 18oz cue with 6oz qball.
    Which makes a 15oz pub8ball breakcue fairly efficient (for gals), but guys might go better with a 16oz or 17oz cue.
    Which makes me think that some ozzie (pub8ball) guys like to uze 15oz breakcues koz the shafts are 10mm, whilst their playing cues are only 9mm (or 8mm even).
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 03-29-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •