Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Leo Bakeland saved billiards and elephants.

Mightbe I hav played with Bakelite balls. Crystalate suppozedly were celluloid-based up until 1972. Praps, but praps not.
    If they were celluloid based, then why did they (Endolithic Ball Co) pay royalties to Albany (theusofa) for the use of bakelite.
    I suspekt that Crystalates were Bakelite after praps WW2. If so then the balls must hav been made hard and heavy by uzing a clay filler or something.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 03-14-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Late 19th century there was a rush on finding a replacement for the ivory used in billiard balls - this was the time that Billiards was extremely popular and the elephant population was being decimated to obtain their ivory.

I am thinking that the number of people that uze a billiards cue say once a week on average haz never been higher. Due mainly to people having a pool table at home.
    But this would depend.
    Big 12' tables are probly in bad decline in ozz etc. In Sydney u kan often get one for nothing if u kan remoov it without delay.
    But at the same time I would say that lots of familys in Sydney are getting pool tables.
    And if u inklood the rize of billiards snooker pool in asia then the total distance rolled by billiards type balls daily worldwide probly makes even 1930 look pedestrian.
    Lemmeseenow. In one game of pool the balls might roll say 50'. On one table say 1 mile per day. On a million tables worldwide a million miles per day, 365,000,000 miles per year. This iz 50% more than one satellite travels in year.
    mac.

Aktually things are grimmer than I thort. I looked at ebay and there iznt even one elephant for sale. Its too late allready.

Scientists recently found a stone pool table in a cave, which tends to indicate that woolly mammoths were hunted for ivory for balls. When the mammoths died out caveman quickly followed. There iz a lesson in there.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 03-24-2014 at 03:33 PM.