Over the years I've experimented with all kinds of laminated tip brands, Moori, Hercules, Sniper, Tiger,Sting Ray,Talisman, and many others.

Today I have a lathe and all the equipment to do my own cue maintenace. I also do tips for a few locals.

I have a lot of fancy tips in stock and I can take my pick.

So, what I'm about to tell you may come as a surprise..but I prefer plain old LePro tips for my cues. Some people will see this as blasphemy, but to each his own.

I've heard about how LePro tips are unreliable and mushroom quickly, and how you only get a few tips out of a box that are any good. Well that's just not so.

I have a box of LePros from which I have installed 40 tips. I have not had any complaints, and since most of my customers are good friends, I know they would tell me if they weren't happy. They haven't had problems with miscuing, mushrooming, premature wear, rot, or any of that. Out of the forty tips, I only had to replace one bad one. And that was one I'd installed on my own cue. Not bad for a tip that costs 50 cents.

This brings me to the issue of price/value. A box of 50 LePros will run you about $24. Laminated tips will run you anywhere from $6.00 to $24.00 a piece.

I can do anything with a LePro that I could do with the best laminated brand tips. Draw? Yep. Follow? Yep. Stop/Stun? Yep. Spin? Yep? Kick? Yep. Bank? Yep.

Anything that can be done with a $24 cue tip can be done with a LePro. No tip is going to give you a stroke or give you skills you don't already have.

Now on the other hand, I'm not knocking those folks who like laminated tips. If they work for you, then by all means have at it.