Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred cue tip..I've come full circle.

Sure, softer tips flatten sooner. I don't go to the extreme with the LePro. I always select a harder LePro out of the box. My point is that I've bought and used $10-$20 Moori tips for years and the LePro ended up being a tip I shoulda stayed with @ 50 cents a tip.

My phylosophy concerning tip maintenence is this. Your stroke "conditions the tip" to your partucular stroke, naturally over time. When you continually shape and mess with a tip, that's your tip-man's best dream. If a tip ain't mushroomed...just play with it. sid
    Last edited by Sid_Vicious; 03-30-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Primary residence is suburban Detroit but have a flat in London and Moscow.
    I also prefer a single layer tip but use triangle tips.

I agree with Vlad. Triangles are about the best general-purpose tip on the market. They are hard enough to last, yet they hold chalk well (possibly because the leather fibers are fairly coarse, which fights glazing). Whenever I'm retipping a cue and the owner is not sure what he wants, I steer him to a triangle because most people can play well with it.

Le Pros also play well, but over the years I have observed that they have a tendency to "chunk out" when they are played down to about 1/3 of their original thickness. I've never had a triangle do this.
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

I suspekt that layered pigskin (kan u get single layer pigskin tips???) kan be better than buffalo-skin (single or multi-layer)(or cowhide, whatever).
    Koz i reckon that pigskin iz stronger or something.
    Koz i reckon that missedcues are sometimes due to shear failure of the leather (rather than the uzual failure of the chalk) -- and pigskin might be tougher here.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 12-11-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMan View Post
    I agree with Vlad. Triangles are about the best general-purpose tip on the market. They are hard enough to last, yet they hold chalk well (possibly because the leather fibers are fairly coarse, which fights glazing). Whenever I'm retipping a cue and the owner is not sure what he wants, I steer him to a triangle because most people can play well with it.

Le Pros also play well, but over the years I have observed that they have a tendency to "chunk out" when they are played down to about 1/3 of their original thickness. I've never had a triangle do this.
    As you already know...the last Triangle I installed for Tommy chunked out. He never asked for another install, and he knew that another install would be the same price...free.

It's just my personal experience and opinion, but my return to LePro tips after all these years was right for me. Now tell me,,,what do I do with all of the inventory in various tips I have :-( This install on my Woody seems like it will never ever wear out.

I am the same way as you though in installs for people who don't know what they want. Triangle have a long running track record. I always ask them though, what tip came on the cue? My "old wood" McDermotts and the Woody came with LePros. I went to the hype and bought $20 Mooris and about every other layered tip over all these years.

I love my LePro but did have a fetish for Moori tips for a long time. I just might get you to do an install a Moori Medium for me on my 2nd Woodsworth shaft, which means cutting off a perfectly good Moori Hard tip. I'm always experimenting. You do good work and the Moori medium intrigues me.
    Last edited by Sid_Vicious; Yesterday at 10:45 PM.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"