Thread: tomb of the genii -- largest manmade brick.

tomb of the genii -- largest manmade brick.

.....Author: paxton (88.105.51.---) Date: 07-Oct-10 16:26
    In the ebook archive version, of “Travels in the upper and lower Amoor” by Thomas Witlam Atkinson he describes and illustrates (on page n140) a standing monolith measuring 23.1m x 7.31m x 5.79m.
    The rock type is not specified but this monolith would likely weigh over 2,000 tons and the dimensions given make it by far the largest standing stone in the world. Atkinson was clearly a fine illustrator and seemingly not a man prone to exaggeration but I can’t find any other information about this. The monolith reportedly stands in an extremely remote area of the Kora River valley in Siberia. Has anyone any further information about this? Does anyone have any idea where this river is? Coordinates would be very useful. The archive illustration is on the link below: you may need to scroll down one page to get it on page n141. The dimensions are given on page n138
    http://www.archive.org/stream/travel.../n140/mode/1up
    Thanks Paxton.....

Me myself I located theze stones some years ago, using google-earth. It woz eezy, they were labelled "Monoliths", it duznt get eezyer than that. They aint where they sayd, ie on the upper kora. They are laying down in a lower floodplain area, not sure which river (might not be the kora). Last year I searched again but koodnt findem. The latitude and longitude that I had identyfyd years ago were rubbish, something strange going on there. The "Monolith" label didn't appear neither. Anyhow i will hav another search one day.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 03-13-2014 at 03:49 AM.

FROM 2006.
    ..........................................Quote heater451: ....thanks, CC! Don't tell me, you just plugged "rolling" and "pyramids" into Google...
    Yes -- once u get onto a decent source, u allso uzually find lots of good references (links) included, etc etc -- and just when u think there aint no more, u find a link to exactly what u were looking for. I thort of about 4 novel ways (to me) of raising (2.5 ton) blocks high up a pyramid -- and i found another say 4 novel ways mentioned on the net (no cranes or wheels in those days) -- fascinating. But, my best effort woz uzing google-earth to find those russian?? mega-megaliths -- i woz mad to even think of doing it -- russia is (woz) a big place -- and googleearth didnt make it eezy, koz its not like the usa (where even McDonalds are identyfyd) -- in fact i started out looking near Lake Baikal, about 1000 miles away -- and, for about 2 hours, the only word that i recognised woz "Toshkent" (used to be called Tashkent), but then i stumbled onto the river "Kora", and then i foundem within seconds, Yessss. There is a suspicion that these "Tombs of the Genii" are more a natural-menhir moreso than a man-made-menhir -- i am looking into this -- hmmmmm, 3,800 tons (actually 2,600 by my reckoning), and a bigger one laying down half buried (in 1858). But, googleearth is too grainy in this area, 15m resolution -- if anyone can get onto some 1meter or 2meter resolution satellite photos (free) i would be pleezed to see them. madMac...........................................

I found my 2006 google-earth co-ordinates for the monoliths menhirs obelisks megaliths -- they are 46dg 39' 27"N and 81dg 59' 26"E.

This location iz on the Katynsu River (or Qatynsu)(not the Kora River), but it duznt look exactly az I remember (2006) -- 2011 woz a different time of year praps. And the 2011 google-earth pix iz even worse than 2006. In 2006 I kood make out big blocks laying in the river. In 2011 i karnt see anything (too grainy). And in 2006 there woz a [MONOLITHs] label marking the spot (this label kood be seen from 1000km up) -- no such label today.

Anyhow I had a look at a map of Atkinson's journey and I see that he did indeed pass throo mac's co-ordinates. However it aint on the Kora River. Hiz claimed site for the obelisks (on the Kora River) iz at approx 44dg 57' 35"N and 78dg 55' 32"E (a long way away from mac's co-ordinates).

If there are fallen or standing giant obelisks at mac's co-ordinates then u would expekt to see lots of pix posted on google-earth, but there are zero pix. Hell, u would expekt to see lots of pix even if the rocks were only a natural feature, ie not manmade. So its a worry. Still looking. Might havta wait for better satellite pix in google-earth.
    mac.

Bing maps 4 march 2014 show nice satellite pix of about 0.6m per pixel -- see flashearth. But i koodnt find any obvious monoliths at Katynsu nor at Kora. Praps the blocks I saw in satellite pix years ago were temp farming structures (hay) in the bed of the river.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 04-02-2014 at 02:18 AM.