Thread: ball motion properties in stun and follow shots.

ball motion properties in stun and follow shots.

Anatoly Sorokin (March 2014) haz a brilliant article on the science of ball collizions, this iz in DBKcues website.
    mac.

http://dbkcues.ru/articles-2/ball-mo...#comment-19374

A detailed analysis of cue ball collision. Some cue balls differ between countries, while others just differ between the games being played. It is important to play with the correct ball in each game, since it gives the players the opportunity to experience the best game play possible.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoydgame View Post
    A detailed analysis of cue ball collision. Some cue balls differ between countries, while others just differ between the games being played. It is important to play with the correct ball in each game, since it gives the players the opportunity to experience the best game play possible.
    Not really, everyone plays with krappamiths, in theussr theusofa ozz blighty.
    But one day we will play with the correct ball.
    mac.

Primary residence is suburban Detroit but have a flat in London and Moscow.
    What is the correct ball?

The korrekt ball iz hard and low-gloss, ie zero vitreous coating. The oldendays Bakelite pool balls are probly ok.

In English Billiards and Snooker the current krappamiths are likewize soft and hi-gloss with a vitreous coating -- plus, even worse, they are small and lite-wt.
    Here the oldendays Crystalate and Bonzoline balls are definitely the best -- big hard heavy and lo-gloss.

At prezent nobody makes good balls -- but u kan get oldendays balls on Ebay.
    I hav about 3 old snooker sets, and praps 10 old billiards sets.
    mac.

English balls are much lighter than Russian balls.

I think its the borscht and blini.
    mac.

The heavier balls do behave differently. Russian balls generate more friction, spin less and require a harder stroke.

I hav never slept with a russki, but anyhow here iz what i reckon.
    The more friction iz i suppose ball'to'ball friction. Krappamiths do hav lots of ball'to'ball friction. Its the vitreous coating. Really, they are a vitreous ball with a Bakelite center.
    barry stark of England measured the friction, and it woz two or three times the friction of proper balls.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 04-16-2014 at 06:16 AM.

The September 2009 Snooker Scene mag haz a good article by Barry Stark. Hiz friktion tests show that the oldendays Crystalate ball had less ball'to'ball friktion than krappamiths (he called them phenolic -- but they were allmost certainly krappamiths) -- and much less than krapps when super'clean.

Tests mezured the needed pull'out force for a ball sqeezed (5lb force approx) tween two other balls.
    ........ Not Cleaned --------- Krapps = 3 lbf ------- Crystalate = 1 lbf.
    ........ Thorougly Cleaned -- Krapps = 6 lbf ------- Crystalate = 4 lbf. (Aktually, the kraps were over 6, but the scale only went to 6).

Barry's conclusion woz that the modern phenolic ball badly affekts............
    ............."the frequency and severity of kicks in the game of snooker".

I agree with about 25% of what Goodwill sayd (in the earlyr article), and likewize about 50% of what Stark sayd in hiz full article -- but they did some very nice work.
    mac.