Thread: Heartless Tea Party Congressman to Low-Paid Worker: ‘Not Right’ to Raise Minimum Wage

Angry Heartless Tea Party Congressman to Low-Paid Worker: ‘Not Right’ to Raise Minimum Wage

Last month, some members of Congress griped that their $174,000 per year salary was not enough money for them, so listening to what this Tea Party Florida Congressman tells the young man who has made minimum wage for the last 10 years will make you angry!

Heartless Tea Party Congressman to Low-Paid Worker: ‘Not Right’ to Raise Minimum Wage (Video)

Progressive Populist
    April 18, 2014
    http://progressivepopulist.org/2014/...um-wage-video/

A low-paid restaurant worker who has been making the minimum wage for the last 10 years faced off against Florida Tea Party Republican Rep. Dennis Ross at a public forum over raising the minimum wage.

Shaneeka Rainer has had only one raise during his 10-year stint as an Arby’s employee, and that was when Congress last raised the minimum wage back in 2007. Rainer appeared at the forum in the Tampa area and requested that Ross and his colleagues raise the minimum wage, which is past due to be increased.

RAINER: Would you support the Obama act of raising the federal minimum wage?

ROSS: No. [...] I think it would do more harm to our economy than anything. You work at Arby’s, the cost of products, the cost of services are going to go up. [...] If we are going to make it a living wage, who’s going to pay for it? Who’s going to pay for it?

AUDIENCE MEMBER: I will. I’ll pay 20 cents extra for a hamburger. [Applause]

RAINER: He said he’ll pay. So if he’ll pay, I’m going to work every day busting my butt. I want to know, would you take a walk in my shoes? Lay your tie and your suit down, just for a day, 24 hours, and take a walk in my shoes. The people that I work with, we’re keeping the economy floating and going in the cycle. But the people that hire, they’re just paying money, just throwing money. But I’m actually working every day. So why wouldn’t you support it?

ROSS: Because it’s not right. Economically, it’s not right. It does more harm to our economy. [...] If the government’s going to tell me how much I can get paid and when I can work and when I can’t work, then we have a serious problem in this country.

Ross uses the same talking point other Republicans have used recently. How come this wasn’t an issue in 2007 when George Bush was in office? Or all the previous times the minimum wage was raised?

This is nothing more than continued Republican obstructionism. The minimum wage is past due to be increased, despite what the cold-hearted Ross tells the audience in the below video. From 1960 to 1980, the minimum wage amounted to the equivalent of $9 or $10 dollars today. An increase to that amount would lift millions out of poverty and from relying on taxpayer-provided welfare benefits, which should be what Conservatives want.

Watch the exchange below, courtesy of Thinkprogress.

http://youtu.be/be6N6WWPR3s

Praise JESUS.
    Hondo>03-09-11.Thread 600 "Tangled with charley"
    STOLEN VALOR ACT-
    Pretenders,Liars,Frauds.