Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board Upgrade Today

Board Upgrade Today

Dear Cue Chalk Board Posters:

Thank you for your comments on the suggestions forum. We have decided to make the following changes to the Cue Chalk Board: Registration of a working email address will be mandatory for all posters, and the archives will be coded as read-only. Additionally, the current board will be upgraded to version 6.1.1.

The forum will be closed briefly later today while the upgrade is installed. We hope these changes will improve your experience on the board.

Sincerely,
    Billiards Digest Management

Re: Board Upgrade Today

What is the rule for sending threads to the archives?

Merci,
    Alfie

For now will really have not set in stone any rules. We wanted to give the updated ccb a clean start so we moved over nearly all the past posts. As time goes and we get a feel for the usage of this board posts will be moved over to keep the current CCB from getting out of hand.

do you have moderators from the ccbers? if so, would you like to tell us their names or do you wish their names to remain anonymous.

bw

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ccboard_admin:</font><hr> For now will really have not set in stone any rules. We wanted to give the updated ccb a clean start so we moved over nearly all the past posts. As time goes and we get a feel for the usage of this board posts will be moved over to keep the current CCB from getting out of hand. <hr /></blockquote> I suggest archiving posts when they are 1 month old. That would be sufficiently long for any thread to mature. And by then everyone except for the newest of the newbies has had enough time to have their say.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> do you have moderators from the ccbers? if so, would you like to tell us their names or do you wish their names to remain anonymous.

bw <hr /></blockquote>
    Good question.

nAz 2012 GOP presidential candidate

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> do you have moderators from the ccbers? if so, would you like to tell us their names or do you wish their names to remain anonymous.

bw <hr /></blockquote>
    Good question. <hr /></blockquote>

wonder if this will ever be answered?

nAz 2012 GOP presidential candidate

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr>I suggest archiving posts when they are 1 month old. That would be sufficiently long for any thread to mature. <hr /></blockquote>I'm sure all the lame posters and persons who write without adequate thought, and others who write things they are sorry for later, will agree.

I doubt if those bright enough to think about what they post, and bold enough to stand behind what they say, will feel the need to have their threads shut down to critical analysis or commentary in any period of time.

Did Winston Churchill ask that his speeches and writings be closed off to commentary after a month? Did George S. Patton ask for censorship? Did Alexander The Great and his generals pussy foot over everything they said and wrote? No. They made decisions, expressed themselves, and literally lived or died by what they said and wrote.

Apparently, there are some here who can't even live WITH what they write.

Pleasantville, here we come.

=TB=

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr>I suggest archiving posts when they are 1 month old. That would be sufficiently long for any thread to mature. <hr /></blockquote>I'm sure all the lame posters and persons who write without adequate thought, and others who write things they are sorry for later, will agree.

I doubt if those bright enough to think about what they post, and bold enough to stand behind what they say, will feel the need to have their threads shut down to critical analysis or commentary in any period of time.

Did Winston Churchill ask that his speeches and writings be closed off to commentary after a month? Did George S. Patton ask for censorship? Did Alexander The Great and his generals pussy foot over everything they said and wrote? No. They made decisions, expressed themselves, and literally lived or died by what they said and wrote. [it's getting a bit windy in here-- Alf]

Apparently, there are some here who can't even live WITH what they write.

Pleasantville, here we come. <hr /></blockquote> I agree with you, TB. Pleasantville, don't forget to say your please and thank yous god dammit.

Ccb_admin is set on archiving posts for whatever reasons. I sense it is a done deal. It's just a question of how soon. I don't want them to do it prematurely.

-- shooting for a compromise

Alfie:
    When the computer servers that host these forums can no longer easily handle the volume of material is one of the main reasons material gets archived. The timeframes involved are typically measured in years, not months, and thats for forums ten to a hundred times this size. Some forums archive everything more than a year old, once a year, just to keep things orderly and work in round numbers.

I've unsuccesfully struggled to think of a worthy reason to archive material after a matter of weeks or months, as you and some others have suggested.

=TB=