Thread: PC trouble -Defragging

PC trouble -Defragging

Computer has been acting up and i just noticed when the scheduled defragging is going on- the box is there, but it always has "0%" In other words, it isnt defragging-Its just trying to. Anyone know what this is about? solution? thanks

Re: PC trouble -Defragging

I'm not by any means an expert, but when we first defragged, it took forever. If you change anything, even move the mouse, it will start over again.

I would suggest to be patient and see what happens. If all else fails, ask Fred - he's the expert [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Heide

Just a little bit south and east of Hamiltucky a little bit west of the Atlantic Ocean

Is that anything like running the Optomizing section of Norton System works? I think it takes me like 4 hours to do my computer at home. The disk optomizer takes upwards of 2 hours. Usually I go to sleep.

Kato~~~has NO expertise in the computer world.
    Signature deleted by***********Kato

Disable your anti-virus, turn off screensaver. Do a scandisk first. Boot to safe mode, and defrag while on safe mode. Much faster.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Disable your anti-virus, turn off screensaver. Do a scandisk first. Boot to safe mode, and defrag while on safe mode. Much faster. <hr /></blockquote>A process running in the background will also cause the defrag to restart--usually, forever. . . .

As CJ says, disable the AV app and the screensaver, and anything else running in the system tray (the box of "what are those" icons in the task bar). Unfortunately, you may also have some things running that don't show there, and will have to pull up the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del ONCE in w98; Ctrl+Alt+Del, then "Task Manager" in w2k or NT4--selecting the individual processes will be harder).

Again, echoing CJ, rebooting into Safe Mode will be faster and easier.

One more option would be blowing $50-70 on Executive Software's "Diskeeper".

========================
    You are what you do when it counts.--The Masao
    heater<span style="color: red">451</span>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Computer has been acting up and i just noticed when the scheduled defragging is going on- the box is there, but it always has "0%" In other words, it isnt defragging-Its just trying to. Anyone know what this is about? solution? thanks
    <hr /></blockquote>

Go to www.pcpitstop.com for a free analysis of your computer. If there is a lot of problems they will tell you and rate your computer speed, security, will give you quick fixes to run on the PC, and make suggestions for improvement. Follow the instructions carefully. If you have lots of problems, you will have to run tests a couple of times until you get it fixed. The test will also tell you all the programs that are running including background programs.

After that, go to www.bigfix.com, there you can download a program that will also keep your computer running smooth. This program will even tell you when to defrag and scandisk.
    You will also have to take some time on doing this, but I sincerely recommend it.

After that go to ZDNET.com, and download Ad-aware program. This program eliminates all hidden programs running in your computer, and that the computer doesn't need.

Just my two cents.

[b]<font color="green">Billiard is a passionate sport for the mind and soul! </font color>

Harold Acosta
    Billiards, a passionate sport for the mind and soul.!

Thanks everyone-Didnt know we had so many wizards here. Tomorrow when im more awake, im going to try the suggestions that i half understand. Thanks again.

Re: Ad-Aware

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr>. . .After that go to ZDNET.com, and download Ad-aware program. This program eliminates all hidden programs running in your computer, and that the computer doesn't need. . . .<hr /></blockquote>You can also get Ad-aware directly from Lavasoft ( www.lavasoftusa.com ). It helps control 'web-bugs' and other scumware that gets automatically downloaded by your browser (like the stuff that gets cached). It can be set to scan on startup as well.

Harold--I have recently come across another tool that might interest you: Spybot Search &amp; Destroy ( http://security.kolla.de/ ).

====================
    You are what you do when it counts.--The Masao
    heater<span style="color: red">451</span>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Computer has been acting up and i just noticed when the scheduled defragging is going on- the box is there, but it always has "0%" In other words, it isnt defragging-Its just trying to. Anyone know what this is about? solution? thanks <hr /></blockquote>
    I'm no expert, but...make sure you scandisk first to make sure that you don't have disk errors.

I defragged last week. PII 450MHz, 4 GB hard drive. Took a couple of hours. Takes a few minutes just to get past the initial teasing.

Fred
    <font color="blue">You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.</font color>

Fred, it is also time for you to upgrade your computer. Go to www.pcpitstop for an evaluation of your system.

You may want your computer in the 750MHZ or higher range, with no less than 256 MB and at least a 30 GB drive. Go to ebay and you may be able to find some bargains since the craze now is over 1Ghz CPU's 512 MB and 80 GB drives.

I upgraded my PC to 750 Mhz from 350, 512 MB from 128 MB, and 30 GB Drive from an 8 GB, and my PC is running smooth, and I'm using only 3GB of the hardrive.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiard is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>

Harold Acosta
    Billiards, a passionate sport for the mind and soul.!