Thread: How long have you been playing pool, and what got you hooked on the game?

Hybrid View

How long have you been playing pool, and what got you hooked on the game?

I first started playing at around the age of 14 in my father's bar. I would go there every day and help stock up the coolers, clean up and help put away deliveries for the kitchen. After the chores were done, my dad would give me a bunch of quarters that were marked with red nail polish for the pool table and juke box (those were the "house quarters" and were marked so that the guy from the amusement company knew to return them to the bar).

The regular customers taught me the basics of the game of 8 ball and I would play them for a couple of hours a day.

Eventually I got to where I was an OK player.

In 1974 at the age of 17, I joined the USMC and after that I didn't pick up a cue again until 1990.

I have been playing on a regular basis (three or four times a week) for the past 24 years.

My favorite game is straight pool, followed by nine ball, and then 8 ball.

What's your story?
    If there is a dangerous forum ... that's the one. -- LWW (referring to BD NPR)

First off ... nothing will stop ass killings entirely. -- LWW (AKA Vladimir Ulyanov, AKA WV Slim, AKA MrsLWW, .....)

Where did there CEO go yo work at loser? -- LWW (Demonstrating his masterful command of the English language while masquerading as his wife Vladimir.)

I woz 15 in 1963 in my first year at the School of Mines and they had a 12' table in the middle of the students recreation room. [This used to be a large church. When I woz 6yrs I remember going in there, koz it woz a muzeum. Went back in a few years ago and it woz full of sheilas learning hairdressing].
    Then in 1964 i watched the locals playing (English billiards) at the Victorian Railways Institute across town, and I played in the VRI team until 1967, then I left town and didn't play again till 1985. Now I am retired and back in town and playing at the VRI again.
    mac.

Primary residence is suburban Detroit but have a flat in London and Moscow.
    I have been playing regular for almost 20 years. I became hooked at Rileys American Pool & Snooker Club in London.

I've been playing for 49 years. Just started playing my senior year in high school and got hooked.
    My game fell apart when I got arthritis but it's been coming back a little.
    May God bless all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    I've been playing for 49 years. Just started playing my senior year in high school and got hooked.
    My game fell apart when I got arthritis but it's been coming back a little.
    Try ginger, lemon, cinnamon, fish oil, garlic and potato juice tovarisch. It isn't delicious but Eurasians have used it for centuries with good results. May your pain be eased.

Back in Polska djadek told me he ate crushed ants to help arthritis.
    mac.

Quote Originally Posted by cushioncrawler View Post
    Back in Polska djadek told me he ate crushed ants to help arthritis.
    mac.
    Ants are very strong animals.

I have been playing for last 2 years. What I like about pool is that it makes me disciplined and patient. Focused and dedicated practice of pool games increase the understanding of game.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoydgame View Post
    I have been playing for last 2 years. What I like about pool is that it makes me disciplined and patient. Focused and dedicated practice of pool games increase the understanding of game.
    Billiards games require discipline and practice. They cause you to slow down and see the world differently. A rudimentary understanding of Newtonian physics also can help.