Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drought is just the start of climate change’s toll on the Southwest

Exclamation Drought is just the start of climate change’s toll on the Southwest

Drought is just the start of climate change’s toll on the Southwest

May 19, 2014
    The Story Group via grist.org
    http://grist.org/climate-energy/drou...ign=socialflow

“The story in the Southwest is the story of water,” says Greg Garfin, one of the convening lead authors of the National Climate Assessmentchapter on the region, already one of the driest parts of the United States.

Increased heat, drought, and insect outbreaks, all linked to climate change, have increased wildfires. Declining water supplies, reduced agricultural yields, and health impacts in cities due to heat will take their toll, especially in populous desert cities like Las Vegas, where water management is already a game with small margins of error. Flooding and erosion in coastal areas are additional concerns.

Video:
    http://vimeo.com/92687378

Last edited by DiabloViejo; 05-24-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    If there is a dangerous forum ... that's the one. -- LWW (referring to BD NPR)

First off ... nothing will stop ass killings entirely. -- LWW (AKA Vladimir Ulyanov, AKA WV Slim, AKA MrsLWW, .....)

Where did there CEO go yo work at loser? -- LWW (Demonstrating his masterful command of the English language while masquerading as his wife Vladimir.)

Seven states currently running out of water, fighting raging fires, and those of us who have bothered to study the impacts of Global Warming, are still having to fight the corrupt Oil, Gas and Coal industries due to the greedy and corrupt CEO's and Owners, Super Pacs like Karl Rove's dark money, and the Repiglican bribe takers, so that we might save our planet, and our lives.

Thanks Dick Cheney, and The Bush Crime Family, for your disgusting Halliburton Loophole, and for lying our country into a war for oil in Iraq. You sent in plenty of experts to map out your Oil plans, but sent our soldiers to war without decent equipment, and Repiglicans continue to vote against supporting our VETS, and their families, while blaming and pointing their fingers elsewhere.

From the IRS, to Fast & Furious, to Benghazi, all lead back to Repiglican corruption, failed Repiglican Policies, and the same Repigs who spent us into oblivion, are now cutting spending for the Middle Class folks who have paid for everything, while cutting taxes for the wealthy attackers and offenders of our country, and our planet.

Unbelievable!

Insect outbreaks here and there in the southwest are one thing. Human outbreaks in every north south east and west are another.
    Humans, the real pest.
    mac.

Primary residence is suburban Detroit but have a flat in London and Moscow.
    Drought is natural occurence. No amount of political activism can make rain or stop rain.

Ifn humans are natural, then human-made changes are natural, then OGW iz natural.
    I am thinking that if humans are a Divine Creation, then human-made changes are not natural.
    But then again ifn everything woz Created, then nothing iz natural.
    Still thinking.
    mac.
    I'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by cushioncrawler View Post
    Ifn humans are natural, then human-made changes are natural, then OGW iz natural.
    I am thinking that if humans are a Divine Creation, then human-made changes are not natural.
    But then again ifn everything woz Created, then nothing iz natural.
    Still thinking.
    mac.
    I'll be back.
    Global Warming has nothing to do with organized religion, Mac.

Could we please stick to the Science on the subject? Once you bring organized religion into a scientific subject you obstruct critical thinking skills.

Let's debate the findings of the world's most respected, most dedicated and sophisticated Scientists known to man.

Denying Science ends the discussion, as far as I'm concerned. Truly, I hope you don't return with a boatload of Bible Verses, particularly on such an important subject as Global Warming, ie., Climate Change.
    Last edited by Gayle in MD; 05-26-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle in MD View Post
    Global Warming has nothing to do with organized religion, Mac. Could we please stick to the Science on the subject? Once you bring organized religion into a scientific subject you obstruct critical thinking skills. Let's debate the findings of the world's most respected, most dedicated and sophisticated Scientists known to man. Denying Science ends the discussion, as far as I'm concerned. Truly, I hope you don't return with a boatload of Bible Verses, particularly on such an important subject as Global Warming, ie., Climate Change.
    Gayle -- ah yes bible verses, i must look into the skeptiks bible website again. Its allways a nice feeling quoting stupid versus (pun intended) from the The Holey Bible.

Re science, the science of GW iz of course not yet very good. But much better today than 10yrs ago (which shows how bad it woz 10yrs ago).

But the main issue iz logik not science.
    Logik says that science might be korrekt. Surely we kan all agree.
    Logik says that if science iz korrekt then we are toast. Surely we kan all agree.
    Logik says that science might be korrekt that we are toast unless we fix things. Surely we kan all agree.
    Logik says that we shood try to fix things (while being mindfull of cost-benefit). Surely we kan all agree.
    mac.

Quote Originally Posted by cushioncrawler View Post
    Gayle -- ah yes bible verses, i must look into the skeptiks bible website again. Its allways a nice feeling quoting stupid versus (pun intended) from the The Holey Bible.

Re science, the science of GW iz of course not yet very good. But much better today than 10yrs ago (which shows how bad it woz 10yrs ago).

Sorry Mac, but I don't agree with that theory, at all. I believe that the Science on Global Warming was right on, decades ago, and what we have watched with our own eyes, proves that much.

But the main issue iz logik not science.
    Logik says that science might be korrekt. Surely we kan all agree.
    Logik says that if science iz korrekt then we are toast. Surely we kan all agree.
    Logik says that science might be korrekt that we are toast unless we fix things. Surely we kan all agree.
    Logik says that we shood try to fix things (while being mindfull of cost-benefit). Surely we kan all agree.
    mac.
    Mac, in my world, logic is a result of understanding Science. As far as Climate Chage, Global Warming, and the threats which are now, surely, a given, deniers are a joke.

Due to the corruption and greed of Republicans, annd largely the corruption caused to our country and the world, by George Bush, and Dick Cheney, and their fellow, Wealthy Energy CEO's, their policies, without conscience, along with the resulting pollution and poison, sickness, deaths, and environmenntal disaster, IOW, what it is doing to all of us, and our planet, analysis of Cost/Benefit should be thought of as more obstruction, that is and should be a folly in the minds of those who have taken the time to read and understand the Science, and have not been impacted by RW Republican Science Deniers, and political liars, like Bush, Cheney, Rice, McConnell, Boehner, and the rest.

The disastrous impact of those who chose ignorance over Science, chose greed and money over taking responsibility and being decent stewards of the planet, chose theories from books written thousands of years ago, which never made any sense, even back when they were written, well, in my world of logic, they are enemies of and to all of us, as well they should be.

But, I also believe that knowledge always wins in the long run, and hence, certainly, we can save the planet, and the world, but we must recognize, and remove, those greedy pawns of the energy corporations, regulate the greed and corruption of CEO destruction, and vote against Republicans whose policies have long been obstructive, and corrupt.

Denying the Science on Climate Change, should be cause for being removed from any opportunity to hold any political office, IMO.

G.
    Last edited by Gayle in MD; 05-27-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle in MD View Post
    Seven states currently running out of water, fighting raging fires, and those of us who have bothered to study the impacts of Global Warming, are still having to fight the corrupt Oil, Gas and Coal industries due to the greedy and corrupt CEO's and Owners, Super Pacs like Karl Rove's dark money, and the Repiglican bribe takers, so that we might save our planet, and our lives.

Thanks Dick Cheney, and The Bush Crime Family, for your disgusting Halliburton Loophole, and for lying our country into a war for oil in Iraq. You sent in plenty of experts to map out your Oil plans, but sent our soldiers to war without decent equipment, and Repiglicans continue to vote against supporting our VETS, and their families, while blaming and pointing their fingers elsewhere.

From the IRS, to Fast & Furious, to Benghazi, all lead back to Repiglican corruption, failed Repiglican Policies, and the same Repigs who spent us into oblivion, are now cutting spending for the Middle Class folks who have paid for everything, while cutting taxes for the wealthy attackers and offenders of our country, and our planet.

Unbelievable!
    LOL.

Not the first time there has been droughts there. Entire Indian civilizations have disappeared in the past.

Perhaps if humans didnt live in hostile environments there would be less of a problem.

By the way aquifers take time to refill. Unfortunately they dont when you pump out more than is going in.

The good thing is everything east of the Mississippi looks good. Time for businesses and people to move to the South east.

There isn't anything wrong with America that liberal ideology, properly applied by government experts, can't make worse.

Primary residence is suburban Detroit but have a flat in London and Moscow.
    So why do you deny science?

In Russia the scientists laugh at the Americans and Euros who are scared that modern civilization is bad.