Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putin snarls, but Obama gets the last laugh

Putin snarls, but Obama gets the last laugh

From that terrible, liberal , Stalinist , leftist propaganda outlet known as FOX news!--

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06...n-military-in/

MOSCOW – On Russian President Vladimir Putin's request, the upper house of Russian parliament has canceled a resolution allowing the use of military in Ukraine.

Wednesday's vote comes a day after Putin asked lawmakers to rescind his March 1 request for using troops in Ukraine.

He said that his move is intended to help support peace process in Ukraine, which began with a weeklong cease-fire Friday.

Putin's action is driven by his desire to avoid another round of Western sanctions, which is set to be discussed at the European Union summit Friday

Putin snarls, but Obama gets the last laugh

Steve Benen
    MSNBC
    06/27/2014
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...the-last-laugh

For much of the year, conservative praise for Russian President Vladimir Putin was so overwhelming, you’d think he was the frontrunner for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-Mich.) gushed, “Putin is playing chess and I think we are playing marbles.” Rudy Giuliani said of Putin, “That’s what you call a leader.” Even Mitt Romney hailed the Russian autocrat: “I think Putin has outperformed our president time and time again on the world stage.”

But if Republicans can pull themselves away from drawing hearts around their Putin photographs, they might notice that it’s President Obama getting the last laugh as developments go the opposite of the way Russia had hoped.

Seven months after Ukraine’s former president Viktor F. Yanukovych rejected a sweeping trade deal with the European Union and set off protests that drove him from power, Ukraine’s new leader on Friday concluded the pact, which Russia has bitterly opposed as a threat to its own economic and strategic interests in the former Soviet Union. […]

The accord with the European Union fulfills an election promise by Mr. Poroshenko to move Ukraine closer to Europe, reversing a course set by Mr. Yanukovych before his ouster.

Putin’s quite the grand master chess player. It takes a rare talent to push potential allies away, while tarnishing your country’s reputation on the global stage and pushing your economy into a recession.

As Thomas Friedman recently put it, “Let’s add it up: Putin’s seizure of Crimea has weakened the Russian economy, led to China getting a bargain gas deal, revived NATO, spurred Europe to start ending its addiction to Russian gas and begun a debate across Europe about increasing defense spending. Nice work, Vladimir. That’s why I say the country Putin threatens most today is Russia.”

What’s more, let’s not forget that this isn’t just a story about Putin getting it wrong; it’s also a story about Obama getting it right.

Max Fisher recently had a fascinating piece arguing that he was skeptical about the U.S. policy, but it now appears Obama’s strategy “of letting Putin hang himself is working.”

Fisher added that it’s the U.S. president’s approach that’s going “surprisingly well,” adding, “This has been so effective, and has apparently taken Putin by such surprise, that after weeks of looking like he could roll into eastern Ukraine unchallenged, he’s backing down all on his own.”

In case it’s not obvious, there’s still a great deal of fluidity to the story and no one should think it’s over. Indeed, Putin has proven to be alarmingly erratic in his decision making, so how he’ll respond to the new Ukrainian announcement is a bit of a mystery.

But literally for months, Republicans, conservative activists, and much of the Beltway media simply accepted as fact that Vladimir Putin was a towering giant and a strategic mastermind, while President Obama played the role of confused child, struggling to keep up.

Those assumptions now appear ridiculously wrong – it looks like Obama knew what he was doing after all. Whether the right and the punditocracy are willing to admit their error remains to be seen, though no one should hold their breath.

Last edited by DiabloViejo; 06-27-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Primary residence is suburban Detroit but have a flat in London and Moscow.
    Yes ... Obama was so tough that he allowed Crimea to be stolen much like the Rheinland.

Obama's real message to Putin was "If you like the Crimea you can keep the the Crimea."

Only a Stalinist could be a US citizen and be proud that a US ally was abandoned. But Obama has done this to Egypt, Poland, Kurdistan, Syria, South Korea, Japan, Israel to name a few.

Peres gives Obama top Israeli civilian medal

Washington Times
    March 21, 2013

Israeli President Shimon Peres gave President Obama Israel’s highest civilian award, the Medal of Distinction, during a ceremonial dinner held in Mr. Obama’s honor Thursday evening at the Israeli president’s residence.

The medal recognizes Mr. Obama’s commitment to maintaining Israel’s security, and it is the first time in which an Israeli president has bestowed such an honor on a sitting president. Mr. Obama gave Mr. Peres, a lifetime Israeli politician who twice served as prime minister of the country, the U.S. President’s Medal of Freedom last year. He will turn 90 in August.

“It is my privilege to present you with our country’s highest honor,” Mr. Peres said. “This award speaks to your tireless work to make Israel strong. Your president has given the close ties between Israel and the United States a new height.”

“The people of Israel are particularly moved by your unforgettable contribution to their security,” he continued. “One occasion, when we were alone, you stood with us so we were not alone … we will never forget it.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...#ixzz35rDYUAQW

China's Slings and Arrows

China made its displeasure with the U.S. known after Obama's Asia tour.

USNews
    May 6, 2014

A U.S.-Japan agreement over the Senkaku Islands isn't sitting well with China

The week since President Obama's return from his Asia-Pacific tour has, unsurprisingly, seen a stream of negative commentary from Chinese state-run media on on the U.S. role in Asia. China was especially unhappy with a U.S.-Japan joint statement confirming that the allied nations’ security treaty applies to all territories administered by Japan, including the disputed Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands, and with a U.S.-Philippines defense agreement boosting America’s troop presence in the island nation. An annual joint military exercise between the United States and the Philippines currently underway is also being viewed with apprehension from China.

U.S. shows its true colors,” announced an editorial in the English-language China Daily the day of Obama's return to Washington. “It is increasingly obvious that Washington is taking Beijing as an opponent,” said the editorial, taking aim at America’s alliances with both Japan and the Philippines. “Ganging up with its troublemaking allies, the U.S. is presenting itself as a security threat to China.” The editorial accused the United States and its “malicious” allies in Asia of projecting a “threatening image of China” in a concerted “attempt to contain China’s influence in the region.” According to the editorial, however, these efforts will ultimately fail: “Washington must come to terms with the reality that China will continue to grow, though it will not follow the U.S.’ hegemonic path.”

While China was displeased at U.S. agreements with both Japan and the Philippines, its greatest anger has been with the U.S.-Japan security arrangement. An editorial in People's Daily accused the two nations of "double-dealing" and "betraying history" on the Diaoyu/Senkaku issue, saying that "Japan is taking advantage of American greed to cause trouble" with its neighbors (i.e., China) in the Asia-Pacific region. "China's peaceful rise will not be constrained by any other country," the editorial likewise insisted. "The U.S. and Japan will taste bitter fruits if they continue their betrayal of history."

Read the rest here: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...amas-asia-tour

President Obama Meets with President Park of South Korea

May 7, 2013
    Whitehouse.gov

President Barack Obama holds a bilateral meeting with President Park Geun-hye of the Republic of Korea, in the Oval Office, May 7, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Today, President Obama welcomed President Park Geun-hye of the Republic of Korea to the White House to mark 60 years of bilateral partnership between our two nations.

Established following the Korean War, the US-ROK Alliance is a linchpin of peace and security on the Korean Peninsula and in the Asia Pacific region. And today, the two leaders affirmed that they would continue building on the past six decades of stability by strengthening and adapting the alliance to meet the security challenges of the 21st century.

“Guided by our joint vision, we’re investing in the shared capabilities and technologies and missile defenses that allow our forces to operate and succeed together,” President Obama said. “And we’re determined to be fully prepared for any challenge or threat to our security.”

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/...rk-south-korea

Obama Offers Support To South Korea At Moment Of Trauma and Tension
    Mark Landler
    The NY Times
    April 25, 2014

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/26/wo...bama-asia.html

And you want me to believe you don't read everything I post tavarisch. I know your type too well from soviet days. You live for three things only. Obedience to your party masters, consuming propaganda, and hating those the party tell you to hate.

I pick and choose what to read, when to read it, and when to respond.

I know you all too well Lawrence.

I have just proven, right here, in this thread, that you are a lying sack of *$%#.

You are my b***h and I am always living in your head consuming your thoughts and driving you even further into madness than you already are.

BTW, drop the phony Russian act, punk, it's more befitting of a twelve year old adolescent than a lame, imbecilic, grown a**ed old right wing schmuck from Dayton, Ohio.

Have a nice day Snookums! Now get back to dancing b***h!

I'm still smiling just watching you dance for my pleasure!
    Last edited by DiabloViejo; 06-27-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloViejo View Post
    I pick and choose what to read, when to read it, and when to respond.

I know you all too well Lawrence.

I have just proven, right here, in this thread, that you are a lying sack of *$%#.

You are my b***h and I am always living in your head consuming your thoughts and driving you even further into madness than you already are.

BTW, drop the phony Russian act, punk, it's more befitting of a twelve year old adolescent than a lame, imbecilic, grown a**ed old right wing schmuck from Dayton, Ohio.

Have a nice day Snookums! Now get back to dancing b***h!

I'm still smiling just watching you dance for my pleasure!
    This is quite funny being that I am most assuredly not Lawrence and all I need do to get a reaction from you is point out the flaws in your ideology.

You prove to me that you aren't a hate monger by spewing hate? You prove to me that you aren't lying by telling lies? You prove to me that you aren't a party agitprop by spreading agitation and propaganda?

You are quite the funny man.

Larry, Lawrence, LWW, Mrs. LWW, Secaucus Fattie, whatever... you're still the same old dipsh*t! Now dance, monkey, dance!

BTW..what do you call a right wing monkey? A retarded monkey!

You cannot stop can you. The hate rules you. Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili and you are as Americans say like one pod with to peas inside. You would have made good warden in his gulag system.