Thread: How to Aim Pool Shots (HAPS) - new videos by Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett

Exclamation How to Aim Pool Shots (HAPS) - new videos by Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett

I am happy to announce that fellow BD instructional columnist Bob Jewett and I just finished up a year-long project called How to Aim Pool Shots (HAPS). If you want to check it out, the following free clips are posted online:

HAPS-I: Aiming Systems, Aiming with Sidespin
    NV E.1 - Fractional Ball Aiming, from HAPS I
    NV E.2 - Back-Hand (BHE) and Front-Hand English (FHE), from HAPS I
    NV E.3 - Using "Gearing" Outside English to Eliminate Throw, from HAPS I

HAPS-II: Aiming Specialty Shots
    NV E.4 - Carom-Shot Trisect-Draw System, from HAPS II
    NV E.5 - Combination Shot Throw Adjustment, from HAPS II
    NV E.6 - Rail Cut Shot Aiming, w/ and w/o Sidespin, from HAPS II

HAPS-III: Aiming Kick and Bank Shots
    NV E.7 - Mirror Kick-Shot Aiming System, from HAPS III
    NV E.8 - 1/3-More-Than-Twice Bank-Shot Aiming System, from HAPS III

We hope you enjoy and benefit from the clips, and we look forward to your comments and questions.

Best regards,
    Dave and Bob

PS: If you want to learn more about HAPS, lots of info including a complete, detailed outline (listing everything covered) and useful online resources, can be found on the HAPS website.

Looking forward to watching & hearing & reading this stuff.
    Me myself i uze bhp & fhp lots. And lately sometimes parallel offset. I notice there duznt seem to be anything in HAPS about parallel offset.
    But i uze bhp & fhp & po for aiming mainly, rather than for serious sidespin.
    "Without guessing" unfortunately rules out the world's most profitable system -- i forget its name just now.
    mac.

Primary residence is suburban Detroit but have a flat in London and Moscow.
    Very good information doctor Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by cushioncrawler View Post
    Looking forward to watching & hearing & reading this stuff.
    Me myself i uze bhp & fhp lots. And lately sometimes parallel offset. I notice there duznt seem to be anything in HAPS about parallel offset.
    A true parallel offset has limited use (unless you are changing your cue elevation based on shot speed, shot distance, and conditions, which is difficult to judge). However, there are some shots where it works, and we do cover this on the DVDs.

When and how to you use "parallel english?"

Regards,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Ulyanov View Post
    Very good information doctor Dave.
    Thank you. Originally, Bob and I had planned to do only a single DVD, but it easily turned into 3 (and could easily have been 5).

Catch you later,
    Dave

I have not been receiving e-mail notifications of posts made in subscribed threads. I've checked my Settings and I do have the "instant notification by e-mail" option set. In the past, I always received e-mail notifications when new posts were made.

Are other people having this same problem?

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
    A true parallel offset has limited use (unless you are changing your cue elevation based on shot speed, shot distance, and conditions, which is difficult to judge). However, there are some shots where it works, and we do cover this on the DVDs. When and how to you use "parallel english?"Regards, Dave
    Funny thing i just then had about 10shots uzing parallel-offset on my home table before i grabbed a cup of tea & sat down at my computer (its 8:30am down here). I woz inhand (ie qball placed in the Dee, English Billiards here, 12' table), redball sitting just out of baulk in front of the Dee. I potted red in a midpkt, running throo to the side-cush, & then running on up the table to near theSpot (the potted red iz placed on theSpot for the next shot).

To pot the red u place the qball allmost in line for the midpkt. Allmost koz u don't want to follow the red into the pkt, u want the qball to miss the pkt by a little or a lot, hitting hard, with lots of top. To pot the red u kan aim a little say left of center on red, & stroke straight. Or u kan aim full on red, & then bhp, & then stroke straight (i played a few shots like this).

But i hav a new cue, & i am testing it (& i hav new glasses, gottem yesterday, & i am testing them too). Anyhow what i did iz i aimed full on red, & then parallel shifted the cue over to the right a bit, aiming hi on the qball, & stroked straight. The qball being hit rt'of'center squirts left a bit & givs the required angle to pot the red. There iz only 6" tween qball & red -- & i hold the cue pretty level (nearly horizontally) -- thusly the qball duznt get to swerve back, & the shot iz eezy to judge.

However i found that i woz missing koz the red woz going too straight, i woznt getting enuff squirt. I made/modyfyd the shaft myself on Thursday, kutting a few inches off an Eliminator American made in China pool cue (thusly loozing the big white plastik ferrule), & i shaved the 13mm shaft down to 10mm, & put on a 10mm Elk tip (& with no ferrule). I hav been uzing 9.5mm shafts & tips, so i expekted to get a big squirt, but obviously not enuff.

I kood hav simply uzed more offset, but this would hav been at the expense of topspin. So, what i did, iz i aimed to get a very little bit of angle, plus that parallel-offset, & got the potreds ok after that.

U get a little bit of checkside, ie inside-English, which tends to kill the runthroo off the sidecush, but that woznt enuff to spoil the nice long runthroo that i wanted.
    So here i uzed parallel-offset to get my angle, not to get sidespin. Its a method of aiming, very accurat (if u know your cue) when the shot iz short-range (to the red) & nearly dead straight.

Yesterday i woz potting red off theSpot, ie into the corner-pkts. Sometimes i would aim too thin on the red, & i would uze parallel offset so that the squirt pushed the qball to the proper kontakt on the red. Here i would be getting a bit of outside-English. The outside-English iz usefull koz it partly negates any unlucky chalk-kick, u get a kick but the red still drops. The anti-kick stuff iz a bonus, its mainly an aiming-method or aiming-aid (what iz an aiming-system?). But i wouldn't uze parallel-offset uzing inside-English, this iz fraught i think, duznt work so well, lets u down too much (or iz it just me).

Willie Thorne allways hit hiz qball with a halftip of offset (allways outside-offset i think) -- for every ordinary shot that he ever played (except praps for some skrew-shots). I think this woz in effekt parallel-offset, alltho being hiz standard shot hiz mechanics would hav been automatik, Willie wouldn't hav needed to think about it, or go throo some multi-step process like mac duzz.
    mac.
    Dunno nuthunbout email notifykations.
    Two pool players walk into a bar. The barman looks at the tall skinny player, & asks "what iz an aiming system??"
    The short fat player says "about $200".
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 08-22-2014 at 05:25 PM.