Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving's around the corner!!!

Thanksgiving's around the corner!!!

Okay, this is a first for me. I'm hosting Thanksgiving for my in-laws since no other relative of Pete's family has asked them to join them. After Pete's only sister died from cancer, his two brothers haven't done much to keep the family together. His sister was the glue of the family. She made them all stick together.

This will be a fait accompli since we possess an antique 1923 gas stove that has enough space to cook a turkey in a 14" roasting pan, and not anything more - height- or width-wise. I have a love/hate relationship with this stove. It has no thermostat (I use an oven thermometer all the time), cooks unevenly, and I have to get it up to speed for at least 20 minutes on anything delicate and keep checking it every 10 minutes afterward. It's really holding me back on being a better-than-average home cook. On the other hand, it costs less than the commercial-for-the-home range/six burner baby I am drooling over. Plus, it's cute as a button and the talk of anyone who sees it and can't believe I cook stuff like I do. (yes SPetty and MikeM, those pecans were cooked in this very stove!! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

But I digress. I've already figured out how to cook that green bean casserole Pete really wants in the "broiler" part without torching the unsuspecting thing.

Last night I polished all my silver (plate), and got out my best linens and cleaned my china. And I am genuinely happy to play hostess. I mean, I really like throwing a party and making everyone eat themselves to happiness/bursting point. I really would've liked to have been a caterer or a cook for a small family.

But this isn't about me. It's about family. And those who don't have family but you take them into your house anyway for a meal and company. And maybe at any time during the year, but especially at Thanksgiving. And even if you don't see eye to eye with them the rest of the time, you can put your differences aside and try to make them feel as comfortable as possible. Because you never know when you'll never have the chance to make that choice again.

I'm looking forward to next Thursday and having his folks stay over.

And I know it's early, but I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving, too.

So now share, whatcha you doing for T-day???

Barbara~~~crossing fingers the innocent casserole won't be toast... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: Thanksgiving's around the corner!!!

I'll be heading out to my Big Sis' place for Thanksgiving. She's a really good cook and like you, loves to play hostess. I'm not big on showing up empty handed so I'll be bringing dessert--Dominican cake--among others that I'm sure will be there.
    I Shoot Like A Girl.
    Damn Good.
    Ah f*&%it!

Barbara,
    About 15 years ago my wife and I were stressing over how we always have so much traveling to do on Turkey day. Our family is quite large and we all take turns but with in-laws and out-laws we always seemed to be packing up kids, toys, food and moving from one house to another. What we decided to try one year was renting a cabin a the local park and hosting Thanksgiving for the entire family. More like an open house.

The results were fantastic. The only drawback was that no cabins are available on Thanksgiving day so we moved it to the Friday after. We now enjoy Thanksgiving without football on TV, we play football instead. A couple of times we've had heavy snow and can go sledding right nearby. The younger kids put on a stage show every year. But the highlight is the bingo game. Everyone wins eventually and the "prizes" are all rigged and comical.

This year my son is bringing three of his Army buddies with him when he comes home. They live far from the base and can't make it home in the short time they have off. I imagine the younger kids will learn something new from these guys.

Best wishes to you and good luck with the bird. BTW, why don't you consider deep frying the bird. Those fryer's do a great job at about 4 minutes per pound.

Paul Mon~~~~~~~gets to watch Football on Thanksgiving Day

Barbara, if you have a BBQ grill with a rotisserie, you can do the turkey on that. I have done many and they are delicious. Then your stove is free to cook whatever else you wish.

By the way, I have one of those " commercial-for-the-home range/six burner" babies. They are great and worth every penny (read: lots of pennies). Go for it.

ww and I are deciding whether to go home for thanksgiving. I am currently home with pneumonia, so figure that will be a factor. But I was able to be able to drag myself to the pool table for a short workout yesterday, so am hopeful.

We also have a problem with dogs. Holidays are something I always looked forward to, but since marrying ray and we always have to deal with his brother's mean boxer who tries to fight whatever dog I have,this kinda spoils things. So we are always having to think of creative ways to keep them separated <G>
    so we will see.

blu

I have to say, we will be thankful. I moved my wife out here to Texas away from her entire family. She did not want to come out here, and she has been unhappy really since we moved here. Well this Thanksgiving is lifting her spirits more than I have been able to do this whole time (we have been here for 4 months and still have 2.5 years to go). Her sister and my brother are on their way out here and will spend the Thanksgiving weekend with us.

Both of us are excited and the 30 degree weather will do nothing to tarnish it. lol (I am originally from S. Fl and I hate the cold).

eg8r

Well,
    Someone better be home today-you know how "sly" I can be!
    Carol

Cats and gas stoves or "How my dog saved my life"

I swear to you this is a true story.

I was married in a previous life. At night we would put the 2 cats (hers) and the dog (mine) in the basement. One Saturday morning at 5:00 a.m. my dog climbed up to the top of the steps and started barking. She never did that previously. I went to see what was wrong. When I opened the door I smelled gas. The lady that had lived in the house previously had a gas stove in the basement she used for canning. It had those big wing-nuts on the front that turned the gas on. One of the cats had jumped up and turned one with her paw apparently. I turned off the gas, opened all the windows and took the dog to McDonald's for a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit w/ hash brown.

She was a English Springer Spaniel and I thought she was dumb until then. Put her asleep in 1994. Man that sucked. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Barb do you own a cat? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: deep fry it

Like Paul suggested you should consider deep-frying. It is absolutely the best turkey you will ever eat. It is rather dangerous though.

We would have to ask rackmup but I think that's the only legal way to cook a turkey in Texas now [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That sounds like a great Thanksgiving Paul!! The day after - less stress to get somewhere, less hassle, and everyone's in one place that no one has to be responsible for hosting!!

Great idea!!

Barbara [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]