Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Can you be a CHRISTIAN and be GAY ?

Can you be a CHRISTIAN and be GAY ?

if there's one thing which is very clear in the bible, it's that homosexuality is wrong and is a sin

so can a person be a christian and be gay ?

Re: Can you be a CHRISTIAN and be GAY ?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> if there's one thing which is very clear in the bible, it's that homosexuality is wrong and is a sin

so can a person be a christian and be gay ? <hr /></blockquote>

This very question has tormented many. I personally have had some gay friends who believed the Bible and tried to switch to hetero and due to the emotional stress, when they were not successful, either had nervous breakdowns or turned to drugs and alcohol. I have at one time struggled with this since,my gay friends often acted 'more christian' than most people in churches.

If you have studied the old testiment,you know that the Hebrew race was very legalistic and performed many rituals to earn their way into grace. At the same time, God wanted the people to populate the earth. Homosexual acts would be counter productive to this objective. Even if you take the old testament literally and not allegorically, would seem that throughout the ages, writers were inspired to put down words in such a way as the people of that day could comprehend.

The other references are in the New Testement, especially in the writings of Paul. Most modern translations refer to his admonision as 'practicing homosexuals' for what that is worth. In addition to that, sometimes Paul's words were inspired and some were of his own opinion.

I believe that each person must decide for him or herself. Look at the book of revelation.It was closed in terms of understandind at the time it was writen. I personally believe that John did not understand the vision he saw, but put it down in the only way that he had to express what he was seeing. As our technology has increased and we come closer to the end (whenever that may be) that the words are starting to make some sense.

I believe in a God of love and if Jesus blood covers all sins, then I am hopeful that mercy will be shown to all of us, in spite of our many differences.

blu

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> if there's one thing which is very clear in the bible, it's that homosexuality is wrong and is a sin

There is another way to look at this too.The Bible also states:

judge not lest you be judged
    you reap what you sow
    love covers a multitude of sins
    James says referring to sin "if you are guilty of one, you are guilty of all"
    Paul stated, to para phrase, 'we know partially, we will know as we are known when the complete and perfect comes'.I interpret this to be the coming of Christ. Others interpret this differently, yet are no less Christian.

God is spirit while I am a mere mortal trying to interpret words pened 2000 -4000 years ago. how do I know I have interpreted those words the way God intended, especially in the finer points.

What if I went out and told many homosexuals that they cannot be christians or participate in a hereafter with God, and these people turned away from christianity, and it turned out I was wrong?

Would I not share a responsibility for these lost souls while God was willing to embrase them?

So I choose not to judge and recognize while some of the words seem to be clear, I am only human and can only do the best I can in the interpretation of spirit matters while I am bound by my physical form.

blu

I would have to say the homosexuality is pretty clear. I don't think "man lay with man" leaves anything to the imagination or false interpretation.

eg8r

If you are gay and decide to dedicate the rest of your life to the Lord, and you are sincere in your commitment to your beliefs (Christianity) then you will cease to continue sleeping with your own sex. The bible is pretty clear on this issue and if you have any doubts you can read about Sodom and Gomorah.

Now, do I condemn or judge this lifestyle, NO. I will not change my attitude toward anyone or harbour any negative feelings about their choice. I firmly believe there will be a day when they have to answer and atone for their sins. At that point, it will be discussed rather directly between them and the Almighty Judge.

eg8r

It's normally frowned down upon to discuss religious opinions on forums. Regardless if it's a "No Particular Topic" forum.

Fred &lt;~~~ trying to stave off something bad
    <font color="blue">You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr>...can a person be a christian and be gay?<hr /></blockquote>

To answer your question, 'Yes', you can be gay and still be a Christian.

The more complex problem lies with the connection of the two. The Bible states:

"Do not practice homosexuality; it is a detestable sin."
    Leviticus 18:22

"...That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved."
    Romans 1:26

"Don't you know that those who do wrong will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, those who are idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, abusers and swindlers-none of these will have a share in the Kingdom of God."
    1 Corinthians 6:9-10

The act of homosexuality is clearly in defiance of Scripture. But, God loves everyone. It is the act He detests. Salvation is given through the acceptance of Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.

The homosexual Christian that denounces the practice of homosexuality and accepts Christ as his Lord and Savior, will receive salvation from God. However, there is more to it than just refreaining from the practice of homosexuality! As indicated in Acts 2:37-38,

"Peter's words convicted them deeply, and they said to him and to the other apostles, "Brothers, what should we do?"
    Peter replied, "Each of you must turn from your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the the gift of the Holy Spirit."

So, if we are to believe Scripture, to be accepted into God's Kingdom, we must stop ALL sinning! And that is a tough one for as long as we are of this flesh, we WILL sin. But, God is willing to forgive our sins! What a wonderful and merciful God we have! We have to avoid repeating our sins, avoid people that lead us to sin and lead our lives as God would want us to, everyday.

And I agree with Fred Agnir on this one, even though I have jumped up onto the soapbox and stated my views. The forum for this discussion isn't here but instead, it should be at Church with your Pastor, Priest, Minister, etc.

Regards and thanks for my time on the stage,

Ken (IHS)

[color:"red"]RackMup![/color]

Even though I posted to this too, I have to agree with Fred. Last week it was politics, this week religion, generally topics to be avoided on forums.

blu

"If you are gay and decide to dedicate the rest of your life to the Lord, and you are sincere in your commitment to your beliefs (Christianity) then you will cease to continue sleeping with your own sex."

How bout this: if you are a liar and decide to dedicate the rest of your life to the Lord, and you are sincere in your beliefs (Christianity), then you will cease lying.

But we know that's not the case. A liar won't stop lying altogether. All people fall short, even once they have given their life to Christ. Lying is at least as bad if not worse than homosexuality. I mean, homosexuality didn't even make it into the ten commandments. And it is pointed out that all liars will have their place in hell. Homosexuality didn't get nearly as much air time in the Bible.

But the question is really, can you continue to have sex with your own gender and still love God and know and believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your sins, and as a result you are washed clean? But the Apostle Paul said that we must die in the flesh daily, so the homosexual must continually be at odds with their own desires, because to become a christian they have chosen a different path than that of the flesh.

But here is where you simply have to put in your own definition for what homosexuality means. Is it the desire itself? or does the act of sex with your own gender make it wrong? If it's the desire, then we have to conclude that homosexuals can be christians, just as liars and bigots and cheats and anyone else who's fallen short of God's word can be christians. If it's the act, then the answer is probably not.

This is all assuming that homosexuality is wrong in the first place which I don't.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ludba:</font><hr>If it's the desire, then we have to conclude that homosexuals can be christians, just as liars and bigots and cheats and anyone else who's fallen short of God's word can be christians. If it's the act, then the answer is probably not.<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ludba:</font><hr>If it's the desire...<hr /></blockquote>

"...throw off your old evil nature and your former way of life, which is rotten through and through, full of lust and deception. Instead, there must be a spiritual renewal of your thoughts and attitudes. You must display a new nature because you are a new person, created in God's likeness-righteous, holy, and true."
    Ephesians 4:22-24

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ludba:</font><hr>If it's the act...<hr /></blockquote>

Homosexual behavior has no place among Christians.
    Read 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Scripture on the subject of Homosexuality is very clear. Again, while we are of this flesh, we will sin in thoughts and in actions. Sin begins in the mind:

"You have heard that the law of Moses says, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart. So if your eye-even if it is your good eye-causes you to lust, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your hand-even if it your stronger hand-causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell."
    Matthew 5:27-30

Does this mean the homosexual person who has ceased from participating in homosexual acts but thinks about them is a sinner? According to Scripture, Yes.

Does Scripture really expect us to gouge out an eye or sever a hand? In my Christian beliefs, No.

What it does mean is, do not allow yourself to be placed into these trying situations. If the eye is going to lead you to sin, turn that eye away from the temptation. If the hand is doing the same, withdraw the hand that is reaching for sin, and instead, raise it to the Heavens and ask God to guide you toward a path that is righteous.

Regards,

Ken

[color:"red"]RackMup![/color]