Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moconi vs Fats videos

Moconi vs Fats videos

Does anyone have any idea where i can get any of the tapes of the Mosconi vs Fats challenge match that was on abc,s wide world of sports back in 77,78 ?
    I have tried accu stats, no luck. the only other place that i heard of was that Bert Kinnister, and ive heard mixed reviews of his stuff.
    Actually i would like to get any tapes at all of Mosconi playing, the only one i have is the one of him playing Jimmy Caras in 91.
    Anyone with any input at all would be appreciated.

Re: Moconi vs Fats videos

Maybe if you try ABC, they might be able to supply you with the film or video for a very high price [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

nAz 2012 GOP presidential candidate

I have a tape of Mosconi and Caras playing back in the 40s. It is what was called a Pete Smith specialty that played in the theaters between shows. I also have a strange bio of Mosconi staring Mosconi playing himself that runs about 15 minutes from the 40s. I have a Johnston City tournament that played on ABC wide world of sports with Boston Shortly playing Lassiter one pocket. The tapes around but hard to find.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> Does anyone have any idea where i can get any of the tapes of the Mosconi vs Fats challenge match that was on abc,s wide world of sports back in 77,78 ?
    I have tried accu stats, no luck. the only other place that i heard of was that Bert Kinnister, and ive heard mixed reviews of his stuff.
    Actually i would like to get any tapes at all of Mosconi playing, the only one i have is the one of him playing Jimmy Caras in 91. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Hopster,

Check out Bert's stuff at
    http://www.bertkinister.com/classic_player_tapes.html

He's got several with Mosconi.

Willie Joplin (Billiards Digest contributer) and trick shot artist, has a tape that is full of Pool on TV from the 1950s thru the early 90s. In this tape there is a Fats vrs Mosconi 6 ball match.. where Mosconi walks off the set because he was tired of listening to Fats run his mouth.

Cotact Mr. Joplin for the tape. I got it from him at the US Open this year. You can reach him at POB 2215, Lynchburg, VA 24501

Hi Tom,
    If it wasn't for being on TV, Willie might have punched him. Personally I got real tired of Fats big mouth. All talk and couldn't play. He might have at one time but not then. It reminded me of the current WWF!
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Mosconi wasn't the perfect gentleman most current pool players think..

check out the stories about Willie Mosconi on this site. http://www.freepoollessons.com/index2.html

Tom,
    Yes I know, I not only played the man but saw a number of his matches and exibitions. He stopped play one time because of a baby crying. I understand that would be annoying. It was the way he did such that really maked him look like an a$$. Very self centered, either his way or the highway. Fats just had a big mouth and got boring to me.
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Spetty and Tom, thanks. I contacted Bert Kinnister today today and ordered 3 tapes as he has a special on them for $25 a piece. I will let you guys know how the tapes are after i view them.
    I am going to contact Willie joplin and see about the tape you told me about.
    As far as Willie not being the perfect gentleman, all i can say is that i think the man had such a burning desire to win that his emotions just got the better of him. After seeing him play the few times that i did, i feel that he was the greatest ever.

Hi Hopster,
    I totaly agree with you that his desire to win was so big that the emotions got the better of him.He learned to play that way because he suported his family by playing pool for money in his younger days.He is my idol and for me also he is the greatest that ever played the game.

Misel