Thread: "League Life" Installment III

"League Life" Installment III

Okay, so the Thanksgiving holiday has passed, you are sufficiently burned out on ham and turkey leftovers and the cranberry sauce has hardened to the consistency of a phenolic tip.

Tonight is the first night back to league competition for a lot of us. Did you play and/or practice over the long weekend?

Better yet, did you spend the holiday at a friend's or relative's home who just happened to have a pool table? And, if 'yes', did you take the 'Family Pool Shark' to task? What was the bet...the drumsticks? A pumpkin pie?

Back to league: Are you ready for this evening or do you feel a little apprehensive because you focused more on hitting your gullet with that last piece of pecan pie rather than hitting that backwards cut shot you seem to struggle with?

Me? I'm ready. With any luck at all, I will have dropped from a '6' to a '4' in only two weeks. Yes, my focus has been on that pecan pie.

Regards,

Ken

[color:"red"]RackMup![/color]

Re: "League Life" Installment III

Did I play or practice over the weekend? Yep! I went to my Brother & Sister-in-laws lake home for Thanksgiving. Before and after the dinner, I played on their table. Friday night I went to a poolhall about a 45 min. drive from here. I got in a 9ball ring game and played til close. I came home with more money than I left with. Sat. I went back to the same poolhall and played in a 9ball tournament there. I didn't do real well, but had a good time all the same.

I can't wait to go to 9ball league tonight! It's in the same poolhall mentioned above. I'd play every day if I could.

I'm ready!
    I think sometimes I play so much pool that breaks like this are very welcome.
    Although I did try to practice this weekend at a small PH in a pretty small town (with great tables). When I got there it was packed! They gear more towards the younger crowd so I was not interested in playing anybody.

Also I heard of 3 local tournaments on Thanksgiving Day.
    Is this common? I've been playing for 11 years and I don't remember many tournaments on Thanksgiving.
    Chris

Good afternoon:

My long weekend, other then a brief visit to my parent's house for dinner on the 28th, was devoted to moving into my new apartment. Between packing, moving, and now unpacking it will be a total of Three (3) weeks since I have picked up a cue

[img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Dr. D.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>
    Better yet, did you spend the holiday at a friend's or relative's home who just happened to have a pool table? And, if 'yes', did you take the 'Family Pool Shark' to task? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. I wasn't going to show off but after about an hour of hearing one of the party guests (a 50 year old biker) dispensing such gems as <font color="blue"> "All the good players play with graphite cues. Don't get a wood shaft, it'll warp" </font color> and <font color="blue"> You should have banked that instead of cutting it, it's a higher percentage shot" </font color> I couldn't take it anymore [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. I whupped him twice and everybody else and retired undefeated at 8-0

Fortunately later on "Little Al" showed up. Little Al is a 6'-5" 240 lb. APA 5. He and I always have good battles. This time I got him by a game or two.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>
    Back to league: Are you ready for this evening or do you feel a little apprehensive because you focused more on hitting your gullet with that last piece of pecan pie rather than hitting that backwards cut shot you seem to struggle with?
    <hr /></blockquote>

I'm practicing after work. I should be ready.

Re: "League Life" ..The importance of showing up

We were in 2nd place going into last night's match. This was the final week of the session.

The team we played had five 3's and two 4's. We knew they would play 4,4,3,3,3.

With our handicaps we should have played 5,5,5,4,4

One of our 4's didn't show. We had to play 5,5,5,5,3

Our 3 lost. One of our 5's lost to a 3.

This demonstrates the importance of showing up.