Thread: Newbie needs advice on buying a used pool table

Newbie needs advice on buying a used pool table

Hi All,

Just signed up today. I'm looking to buy a used 4' x 8' pool table. I searched the archives but couldn't find any prior posts. I'm sure I didn't search correctly as this topic must have come up many times in the past.

Begging your patience, what should I look for? i.e. 0.75" slate minimum, etc. My budget is in the range of $1,200 to $1,500.

Thanks!
    Izzy.

Re: Newbie needs advice on buying a used pool table

You can get new tables now at that price range depending where you live.
    Make sure you get a 3 pc. 1 inch slate. The one piece slate will likely be less than 1 inch thick and is narrower where the rails are not bolted thru it.
    There are so many brands out there but if might be safer to go after big brands only like Olhausen or Brunswick. Brunswick is the biggest name of course.

Re: Newbie needs advice on buying a used pool table

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Izzy:</font><hr> Hi All,

Just signed up today. I'm looking to buy a used 4' x 8' pool table. I searched the archives but couldn't find any prior posts. I'm sure I didn't search correctly as this topic must have come up many times in the past.

Begging your patience, what should I look for? i.e. 0.75" slate minimum, etc. My budget is in the range of $1,200 to $1,500.

Thanks!
    Izzy.
    <hr /></blockquote>

i've given this advice before and i'm not sure it has helped anyone but....

find a pool table mechanic in your area. he is probably the guy that the pool room calls to do installs and fixes. there is a very good chance that he also sells used tables delivered and installed. every one i know does. you are a little low on the price scale and the danger there is that you'll spend it on a junk table that plays funny. try for an older "commercial grade" table. home tables do not age well but commercial grade ones do.

good luck

dan