Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you explain this shot?

Can you explain this shot?

Just finished reading Willie Jopling's latest column in BD. He shows this shot, the 1 ball is dead on in pocket A, and mentions that Jersey Red was the first person he saw make this shot. How do you make the one ball without throwing it away from the pocket?

START(
    %Ag7O7%Bf7N8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%Ee4N5%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
    %KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PZ5L5%Qs3[2%Wr2Z1%Xh2P3
    )END

Paul Mon

Re: Can you explain this shot?

If its dead on..then no english should keep it on that line with a center ball hit. Just my thoughts..will set it up when i get home from work...
    Working to get in stroke again!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> If its dead on..then no english should keep it on that line with a center ball hit. Just my thoughts..will set it up when i get home from work... <hr /></blockquote>

The way the shot is set up only the 5 ball can be struck with the cue ball. This will throw the 1 ball to the left every time, IMO.

The only way I can think of is to hit the shot very hard. It keeps the ball from throwing.

I think this is similiar to the trick shot with both balls froze with one lined up at each corner. Even with the five ball there, I think it will be like the cue ball as long as no english is applied...But I will try it at home..just to see. I know the harder you hit it, the more probable it is to throw and miss.
    Working to get in stroke again!

When two balls are frozen, if you hit the first ball off center it will throw the object ball off line. The harder you hit it the less it will throw. The softer you hit it the more it will throw. This is common knowledge but you should work with it to understand it. It is an important concept in pool.

Hi Paul, I don't know if I had it setup exactly like you ( I had the one and two dead for the pocket with the five giving the two a half ball hit and all three balls frozen, I had the cueball on the center string at 1 1/2 diamonds ), I made it several times by aiming at the left edge of the five with one tip of right center english and a medium to soft medium stroke. Terry

Paul,
    Either it is hit at warp speed or wet the contact points between the 1 and 2.
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Hi Rod, after reading your reply I went back to the table to see if I could make the shot by hitting it hard. I was able to make the one by aiming at the right edge of the five with one tip of right center english and a hard stroke. Terry

Stun shot

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Just finished reading Willie Jopling's latest column in BD. He shows this shot, the 1 ball is dead on in pocket A, and mentions that Jersey Red was the first person he saw make this shot. How do you make the one ball without throwing it away from the pocket?

START(
    %Ag7O7%Bf7N8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%Ee4N5%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
    %KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PZ5L5%Qs3[2%Wr2Z1%Xh2P3
    )END

Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>

Hit it very firm, with a stun stroke, aiming directly into the 5, 2 ball line. I'm assuming all balls are frozen?

Eric