Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving Weight.

Giving Weight.

Last night a guy I know wanted 2 games to 7 on 9' diamond. I kept fighting for only 1 game to 7. He wouldnt budge, so we didnt lock last night. I am not fond of giving balls, I would rather give games. Mental thing.

My question is: What kinda of order of weights is common? Has anyone ever posted a list from top to bottom of strongest amounts of weight through the least amount? I realize it would be opinionated with everyones comfort zones, but I am curious what the CCB'rs thoughts are on weight.
    Working to get in stroke again!

My personal ranking regarding weight

I personally think it is better to give balls than games, especially if you are the superior player and have a strong safe game, this allows you to control the game. The danger of giving a player 2 to 7 is if he wins the first game he is up 3-0 and a race to 7 may be tough to pull out. What I would consider the correct weight value going from the lowest weight to the highest:
    1. The breaks
    2. Last 2
    3. Call 8 spotted on break if it goes
    4. One game to 7
    5. Wild 8
    6. One game to 7
    7. Two games to 7
    8. Wild 7
    9. 8 and all breaks
    10. Wild 6
    11. Last 3
    12. Wild 5
    13. 3 games to 7
    Would not suggest giving anything more than this list, unless you play lightyears above your opponent.

Re: Giving Weight.

If you and your opponent can both run out, then giving up games is tougher than giving up balls because if your opponent gets to the ball you're spotting them, they're probably going to run out and win that game anyway (even without the spot).

Re: Giving Weight.-I do not and cannot

Howdy Folks,
    I do not give weight to my opponent.on the contrary I need weight.If Jimmy Mendosa gives me wild 5,last three and break I will fly to Phoenix and will play him for mega bucks,25,000$ ( woops! hope I will not be arrested for violation of Interstate commerce regulations).I think I have a chance to win because Jimmy stopped playing pool as he is more into Golf these days.LOL!Cheers
    Vagabond [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Hi i'll take 2 on the wire.Race to 5 for 50 a set..
    If like we can get SOME thing going.. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I lost my "hooker" Now looking for something new to play with.

It is common here in Puerto Rico to give 2 games in a race to 9, by A players to the B Players. Another common one is giving the 7 ball to B players, also races to 9. Usually the better player wins.

In practice sessions:

Races to 5 or 7, A&B players start even, the player that loses the race to 9 then gets the 8 ball in the next set. If the original losing player wins they go back to the 9 Ball, if he loses, he gets the 7 in the next set, and so on until the 6 ball is reached in which the session ends. This could end quickly or could be interesting to watch, depending on the players. At the end of the sessions, each player has an idea of what to expect from each other in future fun games or money matches. It also serves the purpose for remaining players/spectators to know how all the players fare against each other.
    [b]<font color="blue">Billiard is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>

Harold Acosta - Past President PR Billiard Federation
    Billiards, a passionate sport for the mind and soul.!

This wouldn't apply for most people, probably, but I saw something that surprised me the other day.

A guy I figured was stronger was getting the 8, I thought, and then I saw he was getting the 7 and the 8. I thought who is his opponent to be giving him all that weight, but then I noticed the stronger guy was playing lefthanded, although he was a rightie.

So there's many options for the creative matchup, including a player has to play one handed (can use the bridge), behind the back, etc. It boggles the mind.

There was once a great player whose name escapes me, whose 'handicap' was to shoot behind the back, jacked up, and shooting like that, he could do anything on the table. (Long time ago, back in Greenleaf's era).

Since I play quite a few money games, this subject comes up alot. Unless it is a very lopsided game, I never like to give the break up, expecially if playing bar table pool.
    I also would rather give a wild ball instead of games. If you give a wild ball, the other player still has to excecute shots to win the game. Also, most of the time against an "A" or "B" player, if he runs down to the seven or eight he is going to run out the rest of the way anyway. If you give games, there is zero chance of him messing those up.

Re: Giving Weight.-I do not and cannot

I might have to start playing pool again. I don't think my ego can take much more of the humiliation associated with my golf game! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I didn't even know pool was popular in Puerto Rico. Is there much action? Are there many good players?