Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Caras Passed Away Today

Jimmy Caras Passed Away Today

I just received news that Jimmy Caras, 5 time World 14.1 champion, passed away this morning in Jacksonville FL. He would have turned 94 on December 17th.

Jimmy's daughters are going have a service in Jacksonville, and after the Holidays they will have another service in the Northeast simce Jimmy still has some family up this way.

May he rest in peace.

And is probably going after Mosconi et al as I'm typing this.

Barbara~~~very, very sad... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Jimmy Caras Passed Away Today

I am very sad to read this. I knew Jimmy for many years although have not seen him in a long time. He was a very nice as was his wife. In the subculture of the pool world he was a true celebrity, yet always humble and approachable by anyone. It is a shame that many of today's fans never had the privilege of seeing him play.

Barbara,
    Thanks for the post, Im so sorry for Jimmys family.
    He was here once to see Bob play in Petes tournament, what a great man. I will pass this on to Pete. Im sure Bob is hurting now,i sent him an email from all of us here at the pool room.

mickey
    the houseman
    I usta be real good

I am saddened by the news.May his soul rest in peace.
    vagabond

Popcorn,

I met Jimmy through my Dad. When my Dad found out I was playing pool, he told me he knew Jimmy Caras and would I like to meet him? Yeah, right! So I show up at my Dad's house and guess who's with him??!!

Jimmy taught me how to draw the ball that night. (This was 1995) He also taught me a few shots, which I documented, along with a couple trick shots (from his book that I swiped from Dad's pool room a year earlier).

When it came time for us to all go home I asked Jimmy if he was available for lessons. He said yes and gave me his phone number and when I asked him what his price was, he quoted me $20!! Yeah, talk about humble. Here was a 5-time World Champion just helping out a fledgling pool player. I was wowed!!

So I went to Drexeline to meet up with him on the Saturdays that I could and learned more shots from him. He told me that he didn't think I practiced them because they were almost low percentage shots, but worthy of practice. Oh yes I did, Jimmy, and I still do! They may not come up all that often, but when they do, I know them!!

Barbara~~~Joe T's practice book has 3 variations on one of the shots Jimmy taught me... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mickey,

One time Mike Fusco (Rt 73/NJ - where Willie Mosconi hung out in his later years) had an exhibition with Bob Maidhof vs Jimmy Fusco. Jimmy Caras was there and I went there to see the action. It was a 14.1 match, race to 150. It was a couple months after we had first met at my Dad's, so I wanted to see him again and tell him about my progress. Boy did he remember all that we worked on!! Jimmy was about 85/86 yrs old at the time and what a steel trap for a mind he had! We talked about the differences between 14.1 and 9-ball and how he made money at 9-ball but the true game for talent was 14.1.

Anyway, Jimmy Fusco and Bob are having a marathon match. Jimmy Caras is noting that Bob is in 9-ball stroke and not 14.1 stroke. The match is in the low 30s for both and it's 45 minutes into the game. This is when Jimmy tells me, "If this was me and Mosconi, the match would've been over 20 minutes ago and we would've been outta here."

So Bob gets into his straight pool stroke and goes 70-something and out to win.

Jimmy had a steel trap for a mind. Could always remember the details and the names. God bless him.

Barbara

Vagabond,

It will.

Barbara

God, the biggest stakehorse in the world, needed a player to back so he brought Mr. Caras home.

God bless the gentleman and his legend. My prayers tonight will include his family and friends.

Regards,

Ken

[color:"red"]RackMup![/color]

formerly Bozeman, MT; now living in Battle Creek, MI

Barbara...A true champion, and a TRUE gentleman...something Mosconi was NOT! He will be sorely missed! Rest in peace, Jimmy!

Scott

Very sad day indeed.

My sympathy to Jimmy's family.

Regards,

C.C.~~another legend taken from us, is a very sad day for all.