Thread: Book Report: Hard Rain Falling

Book Report: Hard Rain Falling

I just finished reading "Hard Rain Falling" by Don Carpenter. I discovered it in a pool reference book, the author touted it as being better then "The Hustler". Written in 1964 it is out of print;but I was able to find a used copy for sale at Amazon. It is very different from the Hustler which I also read recently and liked very much; so I would not compare them but it is also quite good.
    It is about two wayward youths one a pool hustler the other a bitter orhan/runaway who meet up again years later in San Quentin, it is gritty and honest, not for the faint of heart(I was surpised it was written in 1964).
    It depicts the pool rooms as tough and seedy hangouts and is very descriptive of Billy's passion and need for the game, as well as the game itself. It's main focus is not pool but it creates it as an interesting supporting character. Worth the hunt...
    I am very curious as to whether anyone else has read it or heard of it?

Re: Book Report: Hard Rain Falling

I read it a couple years ago and was disappointed that it was not focused primarily on pool, but then I knew that going in and read it anyway. I enjoyed the book, it just wasn't what I wanted. I was looking for more McGoorty or Cornbread Red. Regards, Jim S.

Yes, Chick, I've written about Don Carpenter's work in my column, albeit several years ago. You'll also like his "One-Pocket and Other Stories", although it'll probably take a trip to your Public Library to find it. Mr. Carpenter is gone now; there were some whisperings about suicide. But I thought his writing about the game itself was damn near as good as Tevis'. GF

Thanks for the info about his other book, I knew he had to be a player by the way he wrote about the game. But what really gave it away was how he described Billy's dreams. Only a pool player has dreams like that. It is a very well written novel and I really hope people discover it.

Re: Book Report: Hard Rain Falling FYI

I found the link at Amazon, though I did not find the One Pocket adn Other Stories Mr Fels mentioned.
    http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/...934724-5439911