Thread: Intentional Hook(Yourself)

Intentional Hook(Yourself)

Have you ever rolled out behind a ball(s), setting up a jump shot you know that you can execute, maybe for the cheese combo or for a higher percentage safety shot after contact? It seems to me that when you get confident with jumping that there is an added dimension to the push shot, assuming your opponent isn't a jump artist himself. Is setting up for a jump after the roll-out something you think about on occasion???sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Re: Intentional Hook(Yourself)

It is common sometimes. If your playin stiff competition, it can see your own fate that way by leaving them a jump window as well. But I do think of it sometimes. I havent really taken lessons or read much on push shots, I usually just try to get the ball into a hard spot, that I think there is a way that I can get out. Such as maybe a kick shot at the OB, where the CB dies, and the OB ends up in a mess at the other end....

<--Now ya got me thinking about finding info regarding PUSH strategies...
    Working to get in stroke again!

Nope never. I can almost always execute the jump shot, but I am not accurate with it at all. I usually only pull the jump cue out when I cannot kick at a ball or the ob is sitting right in front of a pocket.

eg8r

Yep,

All the time. The rules are, never jump if you have the option to push out. You always push out to a bank or a jump. The option of pushing out is heavy in 9 ball. I like pushing out to a half table jump when playing a opponent that can jump good. I know I can nail it with my Air Time with the third section added. It's like stealing. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

You know my answer ... all the time, especially if I know the other guy isn't into jumping and doesn't have the equipment. And double-especially if he's one of those that say jump cues are for sissies.

SpiderMan
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

I've see Shawn Putnam do this lots of times. Recently in Cinn. I seen him jump with his high end playing cue, his jump-break cue and a bunji (sp?) jumper all in the same match (different type jumps). My friend looked over at me after about the fourth jump and said "this guy's out of control" [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Shayne

You would only do this if the ball is so makable that you can't take a chance of letting him see it. The chances are if you don't make it with the jump shot, you are going to sell out, but it may be all you can do. Either way, you are defiantly taking the worst of it no matter how good you jump.

You mean than you'd never see the opportunity even if the next OB you are hitting is "dead" on, say the nine, or maybe "dead" on anything with an wide open table afterwards? I've seen you jump, and your ability to make contact with the ball you are jumping for seems darn commendable to me, at least for these generalities,,,you sure "never" is the right word eg8r???sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Hi eg8r,

You need to practice them for like an hr. Your are will be sore for about two days but you won't miss a jump for like two weeks. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

Sid,
    I do it all the time. I jump pretty good but since I rarely practice jumps I may not be the most accurate. It does depend on the shot. It depends on who I'm playing but when I push in general I try to leave a kick I like. Some of these are very difficult to control. This especially true for someone at a lower rating or one that trys to jump everything. The jump becomes less of an option if it's risky to keep whitey on the table.
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>