Thread: easier to play on- 8' or 9'?

easier to play on- 8' or 9'?

This may be a dumb question, but I don't play on 9' tables. Specifically for 9 ball. Are 9 footers easier because there's more room to set up shots and the balls aren't bundled up so tightly, or are 8 footers because it's a shorter distance to the pockets?

Re: easier to play on- 8' or 9'?

Yes and Yes. If you like nice easy short shots and can work around the clutter than 8' is best. But if long shots don't bother you and clutter does than 9' is best. But around here I think the reason I like the 9' table better is because I find they are of better quality and I get truer rolls. (Is truer a word?) Jake
    Old Jake

Well I guess there is an opinion either way. 9 footers are more open but the shots are shorter on smaller tables. I play well on either. I grew up on 9 footers or larger but a smaller table might be to my advantage only because of eyesight. I don't find it difficult to manauver whitey on the small ones.
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

the difference in the simple terms is
    12 inches. the length of two hands together.

that is nothing in distance.

i feel personally the larger the table is better for me, this becomes a advantage in my eyes.

spacing and the openness is what i enjoy.
    large and tight is what its all about. make it tough and unforgiving.

9-balls with nothing touching could be out. very easily.
    one-pocket with all that space is just what the doctor ordered. many places to move.

I like both and play on both. I like 9 ball on the 9 footers better.. but I play 9 ball better on the 8 footers. The cloth on the 9 footers is 860 Simonis, it's fast and rolls better than the carpet on the 8 footers. But the 8 footers have bigger pockets.. much bigger pockets. 5 inch compared to 4 and smaller on the 9 footers.

I agree, and yes truer is a word.
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Rod, I've heard that many think that Mosconi's record high run was easier because it was done on an 8 foot table. I would imagine that there was probably no difference in cloth between the 8 and 9 foot tables back then either. Was that true?

Of course I guess it helped when he pushed a ball in with his hand as has been mentioned on this forum. I will permit myself one push in when I try to beat my high run.
    KenCT

I have an 8 in our lr. It is the biggest we could fit. I had not played on a 9 foot for over a month when I played league last night. i think if a person is used to an 8, a 9 can look very big. Some players who dont do as well on say the long shots on the 9 might have slight stroke problems. i like 9 better but then i love long shots and i like the fact that the balls are not as bunched up

blu
    "The pen is mightier than the sword."

Ken, I doubt there was any cloth difference but then I wasn't playing pool. Jeez, how old do you think I am? LOL As I remember cloth took a change in the early 60's when they added a little nylon with less nap. I've never heard he pushed a ball in and it's my opinion he wouldn't do such a thing. I'll never allow myself a mulligan, if I did then it wouldn't be my high run. I'd know it and I wouldn't want to live with it. Of course one could say that is my high run with one push, that is if one wants to.