Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different Twist- How Do Players in Your Area Play?

Different Twist- How Do Players in Your Area Play?

I read the previous threads on "who plays well," etc... So instead of naming names, how about comparing levels of play? For example, in the NYC metro area,in 9 ball, it goes like this:

D/D+ player-will make a ball on the break 1 in 4 racks, will run 1-3 balls, plays poor safes that are easily hit, may get out from the 7 once in 3 times.

C/C+ player-will make a ball on the break 1 in 3 racks, will run 3-5 balls then play safe which will have mixed results(some good,some so-so), may run 1 rack in a race to 7, gets out from the 7 consistantly.

B/B+ player-makes 1-3 balls on the break every other rack, will run 1-3 racks in a race to 7, plays decent safes most of the time, will miss once every other rack, gets out of most racks that do not have problems/clusters.

A/A+ players- Makes 1-3 balls on the break every other rack, plays good safes, will string 1-3 racks in a race to 7, plays good safes 3 outta 4 times, rarely miss a "makeable shot", will run an open table 3outta 4 times.

Open to World Class- Even though this covers alot of area, I'll spare your bleeding eyes of the various subtleties.

Will string 2-5 racks in a race to 7, plays tight safes 9 outta 10 times, gets out with BIH 9 out 10 times, breaks in 1-3 balls every rack/other rack, rarely misses, inning usually ends on a win or a good safe where if you don't kick well and leave him open, he will get out, can get out from anywhere, your safes are not necessarily safe, may kick and safe you back 1 outta 2 kicks.

Any thoughts?

Eric >Wealth of Useless Knowledge

Re: Different Twist- How Do Players in Your Area Play?

Hey Eric,
    This is tri-state,correct? What are your thoughts on spotting someone a ball(like the 7)-I do not like that-I'd rather give them games on the wire!And I absolutely do not understand that APA format-someone said all beginners start at 3"s, so if I were to join an APA league,I am a 3? What is a 3?-does someone have to vouge for you in APA? I know they do in NY!
    Carol~misses Eric!

Hi Carol,
    In APA, 9-ball, most women start at "Skill Level" 3. Men start at SL-4. In 9-ball the skill level ratings go from 1 through 9. The starting levels are just a rule of thumb for the average person joining the league and it is assumed that they will either go up or down in their rating shortly after they start. If you are a known player, they could start you at a higher level.
    The really strange thing about the APA format, for 9-ball, is that it is played on a point system. You could make every 9-ball and lose the match. For pocketing balls 1 through 8, you get one point each. the 9 is worth 2 points.
    Since APA is a handicapped league, if you are a higher level than your opponent, you have to make more balls, not win more games.
    It takes a while to get used to it, but it is not bad. It really gives a break to the none players joining APA. It also makes the better players play up to their potential, if they want to win. If a low level plays a high level, the handicap works out, in a way, that the low level player only has to average a couple balls per rack to win.

Hey Rich,
    Ahhhhhhh, I remember watching a game,I think its 10-ball where like the 3,5,10? ball were like the money balls or something so you could equate this to points-I think I would have to watch how this is played to get a better understanding , but your explanation was quite clear-thanks!
    Love to you know who!
    Carol

You ask about players in our area. I think A to A+ are the most standard. They compete at a wed night tournament here and some of them are tournament pros or equivalent but gamble.

On the APA side of things, imo, it fluctuates from ph to pool hall. The fours who play at our ph in apa may be better or worse than apa 4's at another ph. The way the handicapping works, based on win % and innings, the ph with the weak 4's never have to compete against the good fours from the other ph and get to stay 4's or become weak 5's, until the finale when teams are competing to get into the bigger tournaments. That is why when I referred to a 'good two' and people laughed,some places have them, even though that wasnt the intent of the system. ww and i have both seen some who could run 3 balls 50% of the time, play to leave the other bad. These have the concept of safe even if the skills for it are not that strong; and pocket long shots. Especially with women, it seems, they get held back. There are women threes who can run 4-5 balls, including long ones and play a little shape. Safety seems to be something not too many 2-3 do well. Imo, most of the good 2 women i have seen should be 3s and most of the good 3 women i have seen should be 4s while the men advance.

If my captain wanted to keep me a sl2 forever, all he would have to do is always play me against good 4s-6s, thus keeping my winning percentage down and the innings would be high because I am decent at safety. This is what I do not like about APA.

So, i will get off my soapbox just in apa, sl doesnt always mean that much about the player, imo.

blu

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> If my captain wanted to keep me a sl2 forever, all he would have to do is always play me against good 4s-6s, thus keeping my winning percentage down and the innings would be high because I am decent at safety. This is what I do not like about APA. <hr /></blockquote>
    It seems the biggest problem you are having with the APA is the captain of your team. If he is constantly playing you in matches that you have no chance to win, he is not being fair to you. It is good for the soul to win once in a while.
    The system only works as good as the people in it. Maybe it is time for you to switch teams.

You can count the number of players in this town that can make a ball on one hand! Ok, ok, maybe two hands, but you definitely don't need to use your toes! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hiya Carol,

I agree that spotting games on the wire is better than spotting as far as the strength of the spot. With games on the wire, the better player can keep the same advantage per game, rather than give someone a short rack/more out opportunities.

As far as APA, the starting ratings are "subjective", meaning that depending on the league operator, they may have a standard "new player" level of, for example, 3 for women. Then your scores(win/loss, innings per game, etc) affect your handicap as you play more matches. The handicap determines how many games your are spotting/getting i.e. She races to 3, you need 5 games to win.

Eric &gt;seen Carol play, knows she's better than a 3

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr>If my captain wanted to keep me a sl2 forever, all he would have to do is always play me against good 4s-6s, thus keeping my winning percentage down. This is what I do not like about APA.<hr /></blockquote>Not true. Someone with the skill of an SL 3 playing as an SL 2 will win a lot of matches against SL 4-6s. Someone with the skill of an SL4 playing as an SL 2 will wipe SL 4-6s out and have them screaming to the rafters to the LO to get that SL2 ranking changed.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>Not true. Someone with the skill of an SL 3 playing as an SL 2 will win a lot of matches against SL 4-6s. Someone with the skill of an SL4 playing as an SL 2 will wipe SL 4-6s out and have them screaming to the rafters to the LO to get that SL2 ranking changed. <hr /></blockquote>

hmmm. Not sure about this. Since I am in the doghouse anyway, perhaps I will go meditate on this. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

bw
    "The pen is mightier than the sword."