Thread: The Proposition Game

The Proposition Game

I never seen anyone post anything on it. Does anyone still play it?

For those of you are wondering what it is. It is a gambling game - also good way to practice some one pocket.

It works like this: a player is given 5 racks; the players calls one of the corner pockets where the rack is done. The player is given a break shot (should the player scratch on purpose or otherwise) he has bih in the kitchen. If he does not he plays cb where it is and attempts run as many balls as can into the pre chosen corner pocket. The balls are totaled after the 5 racks. If you are gambling a pre determined number is pick - you win the bet if you reach the number and loose if you do not. If you scratch a ball is taken off. If a ball falls in a different pocket it is spotted - saying you have not miss a ball for the pocket you are shooting for.

I Nick Varner playing at 35 for 5 racks - which boggle my mind. Because many years before people were going broke on 24 in SF - but keep in mind they were playing with "mud" balls and cb.

Howard

Re: The Proposition Game

Nobody could beat 35 I don't care who they are. A top player could reasonably shoot at 28.

I believe Allen Hopkins used to wager that he
    could within 10 tries he could run all 15 balls
    in one pocket. It is said he often did it in 5 tries!

Bob

I think what you are referring to must be a layout of somekind, where the balls are placed on the table and he takes 10 tries to run them into one pocket. You know, something like the layout where there is a ball on the spot and you line up the other fourteen balls with seven to the bottom rail and seven to the side rail forming an L shape with the fifteen balls. (see below) Although that one is about a one in four for a good player. To break a rack and take first shot to run the balls into one pocket, in my opinion is "Way" more then a one in ten, even for Hopkins.

START(
    %Ai7O8%Bi5D8%Co7O9%Dr9O7%Ei5C0%Fk5O8%Gi5J0%Hi6F6%I i6M5%Jm7O8
    %Ki6K6%Lv4O7%Mi7H3%Nt6O6%Oq5O8%Pu5T8%eB9a4
    )END

POPCORN,

NO, IT STARTS WITH 15 BALLS IN THE TRIANGLE ON THE SPOT AND
    THE BREAK IS FROM THE BEHIND THE HEAD STRING - PER USUAL.
    IT IS 5 RACKS AFTER THE BREAK - THE FREE SHOT - AND THEN THE
    BALLS ARE RUN UNTIL A MISS. THEN THE NEXT RACK UNTIL FIVE ARE COMPLETE.