Thread: Book Review: "I CAME TO WIN" by THE MONK

Book Review: "I CAME TO WIN" by THE MONK

Well.. I have mixed feelings about this book.

It seems to me that the monk is very worried about his image as a writer on the subject of billiards, as he has never won a world championship. It comes through in his writing, and this book almost made me feel BAD for playing pool, and even worse if I gamble.. although he says that gambling is a good way to improve, if you gamble with a friend.

I did get alot of good things out of the book, alot of stuff I was already figuring out though intense practice sessions at my living room table, but nonetheless, some of the things validated what I already was thinking. There is a good section on becoming a "monk" that is worth reading I suppose.

My overall opinion of this book is not real good. For one, I don't come to a tournament "just to win" but to play a good game, be courteous.. (or try to) and generally have fun. He says in his book that you should not be concerned with results, and that to do so will bring your game down, yet the title of his book is "I came to win" which would assume that he's concerned very much with results. Results, to me, happen when you put in your best effort, not when you come to a tournament expecting something.

Anyhow, read this book, however I would advise taking what you think you enjoy out of the book, and leave the rest. I think there are alot of opinions in the book that need not be there, since they have no place in the mind of those like me, who just enjoy the game.

Re: Book Review: "I CAME TO WIN" by THE MONK

Ge thanks I was going 2 get that book .O will back [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] the tapes and the table.............
    I lost my "hooker" Now looking for something new to play with.

Thanks for the well thought out review SK. It is a lot more helpful than a one-line commnet such as "I though the book was good (bad)(fair). Perhaps any others that would like to review the book could put it in this thread. It would be nice to have all the reviews of a particular book or tape in one place.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Thanks for the well thought out review SK. It is a lot more helpful than a one-line commnet such as "I though the book was good (bad)(fair). Perhaps any others that would like to review the book could put it in this thread. It would be nice to have all the reviews of a particular book or tape in one place. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree, Tom.

That would be very good, because this is only MY OPINION of the book, I would like to hear some other opinions of the book.

Thanks SK. I have read the positive attitude stuff an am looking for books that will help me on my techniques, strategy,good drills and especially the middle, game of pool, which is a weakness. I know what to do in the beginning and the end (whether I am successful or not) but it is the middle of the game that I am weak on.

I was looking at the monk stuff on accustats site and wondering about those but not sure if they offered good technique or were more 'zennish' (like zen).

thanks again. glad i did not buy this book. not sure of the other monk book 'point the way'

bw
    "The pen is mightier than the sword."