Thread: playable cue, what does that mean?

playable cue, what does that mean?

Do all custom cue makers make playable cues? Good pool players mention that a particular cue maker "makes a playable cue" does that mean other cue makers don't? I'm trying to make an intelligent choice purchasing my second cue. Does anyone have an opinion about a custom cue maker that makes a good no frills playable cue up to $700. Thanks

Boca Raton <God's Waiting Room>, Floriduh

Re: playable cue, what does that mean?

I have an opinion...and I'll share it with ya. Pete Ohman in Melbourne, Fl. makes a dynamite cue for the dollar. I have helped several CCB'ers score a OMEN cue. His website is; www.omencues.com Tell him Vooddoo sent ya...
    "Doesnt mean that much to me to mean that much to you"...Neil Young

Re: playable cue, what does that mean?

I think "playable" is a matter of preference, when speaking of a particular maker's cue.

Since this will be your second cue, you probably know what specifications you want for your cue (weight, tip size, taper, etc.), but have you addressed the type of 'hit' you prefer?

Hit stiffness is a rough measurement based upon feel/feedback. The range is usually described from "light" to simply "stiff", and is open to personal interpretation. The hit feel can be affected by factors such as the tip type/hardness, ferrule material, joint type, and possibly even the shaft taper.

If you know what kind of a hit you prefer, then you can shop around to cuemakers, and discuss what you want. I would imagine that all but the most prestigious cue makers could make a "no-frills" cue for the price range you mentioned ($700). Add any decoration, and you can get above $1K pretty quickly.

If a maker has a website, I'm sure that you can contact them by email readily.

Rememeber, though, there's no substitute for getting your hands on a 'live' example, and making a few hits with it. If you're dealing with a non-common cue, then you will still have the benefit of comparison. That is, you can ask your cue maker if his cue hits "more like a &lt;Brand-name&gt;", or otherwise.

Good luck.

=========================
    You are what you do when it counts.--The Masao
    heater<span style="color: red">451</span>