Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas in Puerto Rico,it ain't over yet! - Long

Christmas in Puerto Rico,it ain't over yet! - Long

This information was taken from a PR website and I thought it would give some of our fellow citizens in the US some insight on how we Puerto Ricans (we are US citizens) celebrate the Holidays.

Enjoy the reading and make any questions you may deem necessary:

[b]
    Christmas in Puerto Rico is like no other...The period is quite long as it extends from early December to mid-January. The air is filled with typical songs such as the Aguinaldos ..People visit friends and family in the asaltos in which they go from house to house singing and partying. Typical instruments such as the guiro, the cuatro and the guitar are used to make lovely music.The hosts lavish their visitors with food and drinks and later join the group as they move to another house..Usually the asaltos or trullas start late at night and may go on till daybreak.... Originally these were not advised so people would not know they would be getting an asalto or trulla in any particular night; now often the asaltos might be fully planned.

Puerto Ricans usually put up a nice Christmas Tree with all the trimmings--a custom obtained from American influence. As in most things, Puerto Ricans have adapted American customs while keeping their own in typical celebrations.

In the early mornings (5-6 a.m.) many go daily to Church the nine days prior to Christmas for the Aguinaldo Masses in which religious and typical Christmas music is sung as a backdrop to the Mass.

Puerto Rican typical food is served through the festivities and specially for the Christmas Eve celebration. Dinner, which includes a rice dish such as Rice with Pigeon Peas(Gandules), Pasteles, prepared with a dough of grated green bananas and plantains stuffed with meat, and the roast pork typically prepared "a la varita"( pig roasted over a charcoal pit). A drink of "Coquito"-- a kind of strong egg-nog which includes rum and coconut milk will top it off !! For dessert, nothing more delicious than tembleque, a nice coconut-based custard...

The family usually gets together for Dinner on Christmas Eve and continue festivities with some good music and partying. Then at Midnight many will go to Church for the Midnight Mass (Misa del Gallo).Presents are interchanged on Christmas morning when children look anxiously under the Christmas tree for presents brought by Santa..(Puerto Rican children are quite lucky as they will get presents in Christmas and also later in Three King's day). Christmas Day is a time to spend among the family and repeat some of the eating and partying..

But Christmas is not over yet in Puerto Rico !!!

Parties and the Christmas spirit continue until the New Year..New Year's Eve !!! Another reason to celebrate and enjoy more food and music while all say good-bye to the Old and salute the New Year..

Think it's all over? Not quite yet in Puerto Rico...While in the States the Holidays will be over by now, the fun still continues in Boriken!!! For the next 5 days Puerto Ricans and children in particular prepare for another festivity of Puerto Rican culture...The Three Kings' Day on the 6th of January...the Feast of the Epiphany, celebrating the visit to the Christ Lord by the Magi bringing presents from the Far East..The kids will cut some grass and place it in a small box and put it under the Christmas Tree waiting for the Kings to bring them presents --the Camels will need a lot of grass to feed after their long trip from the Orient..

Think it's over? Not quite yet...Many refuse to concede it is all over and continue to celebrate through las octavitas or eight more days of party and fun....

OK....not over yet...!!! For many go on to the final stretch..las octavonas.. You guessed it !!! eight more days of final fun...

And then....Puerto Ricans rest for a few days and begin planning for next Christmas...

The link is http://www.prboriken.com/christ.htm

Harold Acosta
    Billiards, a passionate sport for the mind and soul.!

Re: Christmas in Puerto Rico,it ain't over yet! -

That's how we do it too! (Dominicans) I'll be giving gifts out on January 6th as well!
    I Shoot Like A Girl.
    Damn Good.
    Ah f*&%it!

Re: Christmas in Puerto Rico,it ain't over yet! - Long

Harold, I'm not sure I could survive Christmas in Puerto Rico. But it would be one heck of a way to go. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just a little bit south and east of Hamiltucky a little bit west of the Atlantic Ocean

Re: Christmas in Puerto Rico,it ain't over yet! -

Katy just got back from the Dominican Republic yesterday. She brought me coffee and rum. Hey, tax free and cheap baby............I love it.

Kato~~~viva la Dominicana............or something.
    Signature deleted by***********Kato

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Harold, I'm not sure I could survive Christmas in Puerto Rico. But it would be one heck of a way to go. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Rich, you aint heard nothing yet. Basically our celebrations begin on Thanksgiving Day. After we have stuffed ourselves with food, it is time to begin putting up the Christmas Tree. This itself is another party. From that day on it's party-time almost every weekend. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Therefore, Christmas in Puerto Rico starts on November twenty-something, and ends about January twenty-something, almost 60 days of festivities! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].....and by the way pool and dominoes are our favorite passtime during the period!

But I can assure you, you will survive! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey, maybe a "Survivor Series" can be held here to see who can hold the most liquor and food in 60 days! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>

Harold Acosta
    Billiards, a passionate sport for the mind and soul.!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> But I can assure you, you will survive! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey, maybe a "Survivor Series" can be held here to see who can hold the most liquor and food in 60 days! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>
    Harold, that is the "Survivor" series I will join. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> But I can assure you, you will survive! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<hr /></blockquote>
    Harold, that is the "Survivor" series I will join. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

<hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

Just a little bit south and east of Hamiltucky a little bit west of the Atlantic Ocean

Rich, what are you doing, bulking up your stats? If I had your number I'd call you and ask for Carol.

Kato
    Signature deleted by***********Kato