Thread: Need info on how to create billiard logos

Need info on how to create billiard logos

Anyone out there knows of software or anything on how to create billiard logos?

I'm in the middle of creating an Billiard Association and would need this type of software.

Could anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks for any information.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
    Harold Acosta - Past President PR Billiard Federation
    Billiards, a passionate sport for the mind and soul.!

Re: Need info on how to create billiard logos

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Anyone out there knows of software or anything on how to create billiard logos?

I'm in the middle of creating an Billiard Association and would need this type of software.

Could anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks for any information.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
    <hr /></blockquote>

Harold, here is a post from me to Heater asking similar. I have used word since and it works pretty good. Paint is ok too but takes a lot of practice. Any program takes some experimenting. Even some links included for your reading.

Quote: Rod:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    . . .But what program do you use to create them? The one most interesting is CC on the key tag or the guy with a patch. How did you do those. Don't get into detail just curious.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used Adobe Illustrator to create the original logos, then exported bitmaps (.BMP), and took them through Photoshop, to resize and compress them. The Chris keychain was done in Photoshop (see the end of the next section, below).

I have two photo programs, Microsoft Picture it and MGI photo suite and I can put a picture in a picture. Maybe I need to experiment a bit more, but I doubt it will do what you have done.

I'm very familiar with either of these, but they sound to be more oriented towards basic photograph editing (crop, resize, some colorizing, etc.). The tools included in this type of package would be what you would use to create web photo albums and such.

Adobe Photoshop ($500-600) ( www.adobe.com ) is a fuller-featured photo/graphic manipulation application--the stripped down version is Photoshop Elements ($99). You may be able to find older copies of "Photo Deluxe", which is like Elements, but the GUI is closer to P-shop. Many scanners and digital cameras came with it bundled in the package. See the website for trial downloads.

Ulead Photo Impact ($69-99) ( http://www.ulead.com/pi/runme.htm ), is another option, as well as Jasc PaintShop Pro ( http://www.jasc.com/products/psp/ )--both also have free trial versions.

I think Macromedia Fireworks ( http://www.macromedia.com/software/fireworks/ ) is more slanted towards web-only, but GIFs and JPGs are pretty much the same, with whatever you export them. They have a trial as well.

All of these allow you to work in layers, and with selection tools ("Marquee") so that you can composite pieces however you wish (CC + keychain, for example). A selection can also be feathered, so that you can vignette the edge of an asset/photo and blend it into something else--that is, soften the edges together. If you'd like to learn more about graphics, check out WebMonkey's Photoshop Crash Course ( http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...tutorial1.html ) and nose around www.lynda.com

I want the latest Adobe but I can't find anyone to buy it for me. Whats wrong with this world? People should give a lot more to us in need! LOL Oh I have MS Publisher also.

If you can afford it, Photoshop is the way to go. The 'latest' version (7) isn't going to matter that much to you. If you can swing a deal, Photoshop 6 or 5.5 will work just fine for you.

As a goof, I decided to recreate one of the logos in Microsoft Word (yes, I said "Word")! I took all of about 7 minutes, and decided not to try and figure out how to mask off the yellow, 9-ball bar. . . .

Oh, and lest I forget. . .Pizza Bob did his logo designs with Microsoft Paint, which can be loaded from a Windows disk. He's good with it. . . .

====================

"You are what you do when it counts" -The Masao

heater451

<span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Re: Need info on how to create billiard logos

Rod, thanks for the links, I will be trying them.

I have MGI Photo Suite, Microsoft Publisher, Microsoft Picture It,Microsoft Photo Editor, MS Word, MS Works but I haven't found anything to create new logos without using existing graphics. I would just like to create something new or original since I will also be putting up a website.

I have a huge selection of billiard fotos, gif and jpeg but I have found nothing that would satisfy my needs.

Anyway, thanks a million for your response!

Harold Acosta - Past President PR Billiard Federation
    Billiards, a passionate sport for the mind and soul.!

Regarding Adobe products

Adobe also sells their products with an educational license, and the boxes are labeled with a red area (with white text, if I recall correctly) that says "Educational Version".

You can save a few C-notes by going this route, but the license agreement states that you shouldn't use them for commercial reasons. Since you probably won't be creating graphics for profit directly, you can probably feel okay about purchasing them. You may even be able to find an older version in a "bargain bin", in your local college bookstore. (In fact, I just saw a copy of Premiere 5.0--the Edu version, marked down from $335, to $85!)

Ebay is also a place to look, but you may be solicited to buy illegal copies of software, if you bid on a software package. And don't forget: Caveat emptor.

====================
    You are what you do when it counts.--The Masao
    heater<span style="color: red">451</span>