Thread: Question for New Yorkers

Hybrid View

Question for New Yorkers

Does anyone remember a pool hall that used to be on queens blvd named J.C,s billiards academy ? It was originally in flushing on main street but moved.
    The owners name was Jimmy Cattrano and he was a hell of nice old guy and his son of the same name was a good guy also. The son was a good 3 cushion player.
    I was just curious if anyone knows what happened to the pool room, if they relocated, etc.
    I spent a lot of time there and they used to have an old 5x10 with tough pockets that i used to play on all the time and man im telling you, when you made a long shot on that table you felt like you really did something great.

Re: Question for New Yorkers

unfortunately jimmy passed away about a year ago he had a room in oakdale which is on long island about an hour from nyc the room was there for at least 10 years his son is now a police officer

I'm confused. I thought JC senior retired when he closed the room in Queens and his son, JC junior, opened the room in Oakdale. Who's the police officer? JC senior's son, or JC junior's son?

Fran

Thanks JYD. They were nice people and i was curious.
    When did the room in Queens close ? I been gone for about 16 years so i dont have a clue.

Wait... I think I made it too simple.

Wasn't there a JC I, known as "the Father" who opened the room in Queens, then there was his son, JC II, the 3-C player who took over the room from his dad and who retired after closing the room in Queens, and who recently passed away...then there was JC III who opened the room in Oakdale which, BTW didn't have one 3-C table which I found strange, considering his family's background.

JC II and JC III, both very nice people. I never knew "the father", and still don't know which one is the cop. JC IV? LOL

I went through this when I visited JC III at the room in Oakdale. He tried to explain to me who was who but I basically gave up at a certain point. Everyone in that family is named Jimmy Catrano.

Hope that helps,

Fran

Fran i knew the old man well. A nicer guy you would have to go a long way to meet. He used to get a kick that i always asked for the 5x10 table.

III is the cop. IV is the son of the cop. II opened the pool rooms

JC jr. son is a cop.

How do you know his son is a police officer?