Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: huge spot in 14.4

huge spot in 14.4

I have to give up a huge spot in my 14.4 league this week. 60+ balls in a race to 100. How do you alter your strategy when you have to give up so many balls, namely on break shots/safes. I struggled the last time that I had to spot so much.

Re: huge spot in 14.4

Fifteen numbered balls and three reds, maybe??????

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    TIP OF THE DAY: Remember, never chalk before a miscue

I assume you mean 14.1 straight pool.thats a pretty big spot!Your going to have to take no chances.Tighten up your safety game!I read a quote that Willie Mosconi made about Irving Crane years ago, because Irving never took a chancy shot in his life.( Willie said "he wouldn't take a shot and a chance if he was playing his mother).

Keep in mind, in any handicapped league, the purpose of the handicap is to give the lower player a chance to win and, also, to force the better player to play up to their potential. When you give up that kind of weight in a league, you are suppose to struggle. Just play your best and don't take any unnecessary chances, when breaking balls. I think the conservative approach may work the best in this situation.

For one thimg, It is supposed to be difficult, even to the point of you having play you very best to win. That is the point of the spot. I always find it funny that strong players often complain about having to give up a spot in handicapped tournament. They complain about it if it is even a close game and they had to play hard to win. They forget about the player that plays every week and has never won and will never win a tournament, and by the way, never complains, but plays for the love of the game. In answer to your question, you need to run balls combined with good safety play, but most important, run balls.

I would disagree a little about that. You need to run balls to overcome a big spot in straight pool. Don't assume the other player is not themselves going to be playing safe, they are not helpless. You need to play your game, not begin altering it. You can't play a tit-for-tat game, you will lose.

I wasn't complaining. I give up balls almost every week and wouldn't have joined the league if it wasn't handicapped.

Popcorn, I completely agree. The best way to overcome a big spot is to hit a weak opponent with big runs. They fall apart against such barrages.

The best way to make the game close is to start playing safe on every shot that is not 100%. Your opponent will get a ton of innings, will be in stroke, and will be playing with less fear. His thought process will be, "If I turn the table over it might cost me 20 balls, and then I'll have a chance in a safety battle." When it should be, "Jeez, if I miss, he's gonna start running balls." That's when the trembling starts.

You have to remember that your advantage, as the significantly better player, is your ability to run balls. Straight pool is not like baseball, where good pitching (defense) wins games. Big runs win straight pool matches.

Danny Barouty taught me this. He plays in a league at Corner Billiards (NYC) where he is routinely giving people games like 180-35. He's not going to win that game running 20s.

- Steve

While running balls in straight pool is a big advantage, also defending your opponent from doing the same is just as important. Being efficient in safety play does bring an advantage to players of the same caliber.

Hi Jack. I'm not denying the importance of solid defensive play... I'm saying that top players generally do not win games by playing 20-and-safe.

In practically every straight pool tape I have, and in games that I've witnessed, both players get chances at open tables. To a one, games where this did not happen were when one player simply ran out.

So if both players are getting about the same number of shooting innings, who is the winner? I say it is the guy running more balls, others may say it is the guy taking more care to leave nothing when he relinquishes the table.

Anyone else have opinions on this?

- Steve