Thread: The three cushion blues

The three cushion blues

I went out of town the other day visit my father. While I was there I found a pool hall that happened have a three cushion table. I am a small town kid, and this is the first chance I had gotten to play three cushion. I played against one of the employees of the hall, as I didn't the rules just the principles(and still don't know all the rules.) In anycase, it was the most pathetic showing I ever displayed on felt.
    It was like going to China, and thinking since I can hear and
    speak I should be able to understand Chinese. The balls seemed to be alot heavier, is this true? Or am I just imagining things?

Just out of curiousity, are there any sort of products that
    can convert a pocket billiards table into a three cushion table? Also, I am so ignorant in regards to three cushion, who is the no. 1 in the world in three cushion? Has there been many pro's that has crossed over successfully from three cushion to pool, like Allison or Karen did from snooker?

Re: The three cushion blues

Good for you trying the most interesting of the cue games. I have played billiards only once in the last several years - I only recently found a poolhall 2 hours away with a 4.5X9 billiard table. Before I moved to where I live now (and stopped playing pool and billiards entirely), I tried to learn a bit about billiards and lived in a city with some good equipment and players. I hope you had fun even though you struggled. I don't play any of the games very well, but find billiards more fun when incompetent. Running 4 or 5 will fill you with joy. The best players can do amazing things on the new fast equipment. Check out the billiards sections in Byrne's books and Accu-Stats for materials on billiards. I have not ordered 3-C videos yet from Accu-Stats, but I will soon. Also look on the net for the Carom Cafe in NY. They have some great graphics showing shots or runs of the best players.
    The balls are bigger and heavier. You didn't imagine things. The proper cues shorter, lighter, and much stiffer. (better enough IMO that I may very well have a pool cue made with an extra shaft for billiards by a guy who specializes in carom cues.)
    I would not convert a pocket table myself. The best billiards tables need to be 10' and have heated slates. I'd settle for an old Brunswick, sure, but the right table is nice. I also found that the 9' table played a little funny. And that is to a hacker who has not played in years. Some shots played short and you couldn't seem to stretch the angle. They make 8' billiards tables that are usually used for the 4-ball Korean version of the game. I have heard all the kisses will be different and there will be more of them on the 8' table. I recently moved to a house that would accomodate an 8' table. I like billiards better but only consisered a pool table. Pool is more popular and until I have a house that will accomodate the full size billiards table, I will play pool and hope to get to play billiards once in a while.
    You must get a copy of McGoorty by Byrne. This is an entertaining book and will give you an idea of the history of the game up to the time of Ceulemans, who is probably the best player in history and still plays today. You will be surprised to learn that billiards was once very popular. You will also read about some of the players who could play both pool and billiards. Good luck, billiards is a wonderful game.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soygordo:</font><hr> The balls seemed to be alot heavier, is this true? <hr /></blockquote>Pocket Billiard Balls: Weight: 5 1/2 to 6 oz. / Diameter: 2 1/4"
    Carom Balls: Weight: 7 to 7 1/2 oz. / Diameter: 2 27/64", 2 3/8", 2 7/16"

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soygordo:</font><hr> Just out of curiousity, are there any sort of products that
    can convert a pocket billiards table into a three cushion table? <hr /></blockquote>no

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soygordo:</font><hr> Also, I am so ignorant in regards to three cushion, who is the no. 1 in the world in three cushion? <hr /></blockquote>Torbjorn Blomdahl of Sweden.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soygordo:</font><hr> Has there been many pro's that has crossed over successfully from three cushion to pool, like Allison or Karen did from snooker? <hr /></blockquote>no

I don't know about crossing over, but I played 9-ball with Torbjorn Blomdahl. He plays just under the top pros (pool) playing today and could easily play them if he choose. I asked him if we should quit, seeing he had to play a billiard match soon. He said it was no problem and went over and beat S. Lee. Just a few minutes later. I would say he is the most talented person with a cue in the world. I think he would be a champion in any game he chose to play. Just my opinion.

Just a short note on a couple of pool players who crossed over to 3 cushion on occasion. The two that I can think of immediately were Willie Mosconi and Efren Reyes. I'm sure there were other who did but these are the 2 that come to mind.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Just a short note on a couple of pool players who crossed over to 3 cushion on occasion. The two that I can think of immediately were Willie Mosconi and Efren Reyes. I'm sure there were other who did but these are the 2 that come to mind. <hr /></blockquote>

Some more crossovers:

Alfredo D'Oro.
    Harold Worst.

There are others. I am forgetting another I should know.

Remember though, Hoppe didn't want to "crossover" from balkline and play 3-cushion! He waited until 3 cushion totally took over.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I don't know about crossing over, but I played 9-ball with Torbjorn Blomdahl. He plays just under the top pros (pool) playing today and could easily play them if he choose. I asked him if we should quit, seeing he had to play a billiard match soon. He said it was no problem and went over and beat S. Lee. Just a few minutes later. I would say he is the most talented person with a cue in the world. I think he would be a champion in any game he chose to play. Just my opinion.
    <hr /></blockquote>

Dude the mans got game!
    theres a match of him playing uh [censored] forgot his name anyway you can Dload it for free @ http://www.caromtv.com/webcam.html and also some unbelievable trick shots by Semih Sayginer

nAz 2012 GOP presidential candidate

Let me add:

I have also played 9-ball with S.Lee. It is hard to believe how bad he plays. His game is almost that of a beginner, yet he is one of the greatest billiard players ever. I just found it interesting.

Harold Worst was the best cross over ever. He was Worlds Champion at Three Cushion then switched to pool. Howard was one of the best money players ever for his own money. I don't remember anyone beating him at nineball when he was playing. He died at age 37 if my memory serves me.

I was to play Weenie Beanie in Hudson NY, before we were to play he had to call Grand Rapids Mich and check on a nineball player and a pro-golfer that were there trying to trap Harold in Golf. I was near Beanie when he made the call and it went like this, he beat you playing nineball well how bout so and so did he play him Golf. Your kidding he beat the Pro playing Golf how much did that cost me. ####

I haven't seen any devices for converting a pool table into a billiard table for about 30 years but they used to exist. The were just inserts that did a passable job of blocking the pockets and permitting the balls to bounce out. Not exactly precise but made for an easy conversion and a fairly playable option. Clearly rail height will be a problem with the larger balls. These things could be made without too much effort but would remain a compromise between playability and convenience.

There were many tables manufactured with exchangeable rails to convert from one game to the other. There are plenty of these tables still around. Brunswick offerred these in many of their early table models.

I recently made an offer of $2400 on a 9 foot version that was in relatively pristene condition having been in one family for around 70 years and possibly recovered only once. I also have my eye on a 10 foot convertible that I might make an offer on.
    KenCT