Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Joe Bachelor"

"Joe Bachelor"

When I was just a kid I used to sneak up the steps to the old Palace Billiards in San Francisco. I say sneak because I couldn't been more than about 13 or 14 years old and I'm not sure if I would been allowed in there legally but nobody seemed to mind. Once in it was like being in a forbidden world to a suburban upper middle class kid from the penninsula.

I remember the was this bald headed guy who played wonderful straight pool in there whose name was Joe Bachelor. Later on in time Sax DalPorto told me that Joe had great patterns but would always fold when he played one of the top pros like Mosconi or Caras.

Anybody else remember this guy?

Re: "Joe Bachelor"

No, but I remember Sax DalPorto. I can't think of his wife's name, may have been Evelyn, but she was a good player. Sax did a nice exhibition. Is he or his wife still alive? That is why I like reading this board, you never know who is out there reading.

Popcorn
    Popcorn,
    Sax's wife was named Evelyn and unfortunately they are both playing pool in heaven at this moment. Sax was one of the best players here in the Bay Area during the sixties and seventies and is missed and remembered by many around here.
    Where did you happen to see him?

I believe I first met him at the US open in Chicago early 70s. I don't think he was playing, his wife may have been in the ladies division. I saw him do a few exhibitions at a department store. I don't think they even sold billiard equipment, but he drew quite a few people for the exhibition. Now that I think about, Babe Cranfield did a show there also as well as M. Fats. It was strange, they would set up a table in the store every so often and have pool exhibition. Maybe someone involved with the store liked pool.

Re: George Fels would know

IIRC George Fels (used to post here a lot) has written about this guy. Maybe he will see this thread.

Just for fun I did a google search this morning and sure enough it turned up this little blub.

New York Joe Bachelor spent the last part of his life in San Francisco conferring nightly with Bud Harris and Jimmy Lee. Before moving west he showed a shot involving three pairs of balls to Myron Zownir,who later expanded it to five pairs

I thought Joe was from NYC area I had heard that name. Myron Zownir was the first person I met in the pool world whose name was from outer space. Everyone would love to play someone named Myron Zownir[wrong].A very unique person if my memory serves me.####

L.S.
    I remember Sax. I can remember a bald head guy up at the Palace Billiards (when it was on North side of Market St.)
    I do believe he would have been there. All the action was at the 1028 club. Where the likes of Sleepy Bob, Slim Pickens, Trees, Boston Blackie, Ears, Rodiguez, Park Bowl Jr., Oakie Sam and countless other would square off.

I have always counted as a great priviledge in my life to know Sax DalPorto. I watch run 100 in out straight pool countless times. I also know that Sax kept many kids from trouble with his golden personality and his gift at the table. Including me.

Howard

Howard,
    Yes I was referring to Palace when it was on the north side of Market Street. I'm sure the bald headed guy you saw was Joe Bachelor up there.

A couple of questiones, was the 1028 club the same as the old Cochran's location if so I too as a kid saw some great playing up there. And also I do remember a player up there who they called "Blackie" I thought his full nickname was "Hayward Blackie". Could this have been the same "Boston Blackie" that you refer to?

Yes Sax was a fine man I met him through Dorothy Wise back in the sixties.

L.S.
    Cochran's was the official name. (By the way I did go in there one Friday night) and I saw a group piled up around the one billiard table the 1028 had. And a gentlemen with a shock of white hair was playing another gentlemen. They play very well indeed. I was told it was Welker Cochran or possibly his son - a long time ago and I do not have a firm memory of it.

Boston Blackie was old man in his eighties in the earlie Sixties. Sax told me he had never worked - the government did not know he existed - He did not have SS number/card.

I also saw Dorthy play at Sax's place in Burlingame with Evelyn.

Also just pop into my mind, a road man named Pots and Pans out of Florida drop in one evening looking for Sax. He left a couple of thousand light - and most of it went to Sax's customers because he was fading the whole room - per game, nine ball and jack up one pocket. Bye the bye the best player I saw coming out of the East bay was Tony Bowles.

Best regards,

Howard