Thread: I guess 3rd times the charm

I guess 3rd times the charm

After 2 tries of playing in the weekly 9 ball tournament.. I went 2 and out the first 2 times... I got the confidence I've been working on for the last 6 weeks on my new OMEN cue.

I took the winners bracket and ended up chopping with the one loss sides winner.. it was very late.. but I had this morning off.

I really like my new OMEN cue. Pete did a great job adapting my specs to the shafts.

My biggest problem was going from a 21 oz to a 19.75 and from a 13 mm tip to a 12 mm tip. The taper was shortened from a 15 inch pro to a personal 10 inch spec.

I can really tell the difference from the OMEN and the Joss I use to play with.. I can hit much closer to center and get the same effect on the cue ball. Aiming and accuracy suffered while I was making the adjustments. Now I feel I can shoot with confidence. I had 3 break and runs last nite.. as opposed to NONE in January.

Where from those flames no light, but rather darkness visible...

Re: I guess 3rd times the charm

Way to go, Tom. Man, that's quite a change in cue weight. Are you still using the kind of tip you used to use, or have you made a change there also?

D.M.

Good question,
    I am currently playing with a NON-Talisman Tip. I am going to put a Talisman Pro Hard tip on my 2nd shaft. I play with both.

I will be adjusting to the new tip this month. I am slowly getting back to my old form.. but its still a challenge.. and I do love challenges.

I can feel my stroke is more defined. More consistant now than with the Joss. I think its because I am so determined to make the shot, because I want this newly designed cue to work well.

I've had some really good comments on how well it feels when striking the cue ball. The players I have let shoot with it, all had good comments. Weight, hit and balance. They all commented about the feel of the hit. They said it hits very smoothe. No clunk, tick, thud or tink, just a fluid strike of the cue ball. I like this the most about the cue.

Hi Tom,

I think you must have been going through an adjustment period with your new cue. I had the same problem 20 months ago, when I bought my Jacoby. It was so different from the Meucci that I couldn't shoot well for at least a month. Finally I got back to where I was and continued improving.

I'll have my Erwin custom in a month or so, presumably I'll have to acclimate again but I'm ready for it.

SpiderMan
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

Congrats Tom! That is a good average, winning 1/3 of the tournaments. I'd take one of three any day. The weight was a big change but so was the taper. That would feel pretty strange to me. Just curious, if anything my tendacy using side english with a large shaft is hit them a little fat. Like wise a thin shaft I may hit them a little thin. Did you notice much of a difference there?

Rod
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Boca Raton <God's Waiting Room>, Floriduh

Atta Boy Tom, I knew your new wood would start to fit you by now...just remember you still gotta aim!!!

Voodoo~~~believer in OMEN[img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]cues and dont play with nothin' else
    "Doesnt mean that much to me to mean that much to you"...Neil Young

WTG Tom. Glad to hear you are adjusting well to the new cue. I do have to say it does hit really good when I tried it out in Louisville.
    Ralph S.
    I don't want to change the world-I don't want the world to change me~~Ralph S.

[ QUOTE ]
    Just curious, if anything my tendacy using side english with a large shaft is hit them a little fat. Like wise a thin shaft I may hit them a little thin. Did you notice much of a difference there?<hr /></blockquote>

Rod,
    Yes.. this was my biggest challenge. Adjusting for the deflection/squirt. This took my a long time. I am still practicing inside and outside english on my cut shots. Draw and Top are working well. Speed is probably the best part right now and I am gearing my game by playing shape by just using speed an rails.

I still have a ways to go to get back to my previous speed. Got another tournament today..

That is quite the change in weight and I can see why it took a while to adapt to the change, I just switched from a 17 oz POS to a 19 oz wizard graphite cue, I took about a month before I felt comfortable shooting with it, but when I did my confidence was higher than ever.