Thread: That Distinct Report From The Cue Upon...

That Distinct Report From The Cue Upon...

...your stroke when it is perfectly executed.

I've been hitting with various shafts this morning on the home table, one with a factory Lepro that is optimal in hardness(IMO.) Then there is the single layered WB that still sings when it hits it's target, sweetly sliding the OB down a long rail causing the CB to drift perfectly in line for the next shot. The final ingredient for me is the crisp sound of the tip coming off of the CB. I know for a fact that not all players like this, Spiderman for instance can install a new experimental tip and make every ball he shoots at, BUT if the tip "talks" too loud, he's bothered to the extent that it must be cut off and replaced. I'm not criticizing SM, others here have expressed a negative opinion in the past about the same thing. I for one, lose the total appreciation I get once that crisp sound is not heard, and if it were to be totally removed I'd enjoy pool much less. The thing it does today, coupled with the appealing nature it gives me, is that it tells me I am stroking exactly the way I should be for my optimal game. Can I get a renewed head count on those here who like or dislike a tip with a voice of it's own???sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Re: Cue stick onomatopoeia

My current LePro is giving me a "tink" on draw shots. I prefer a soft "thud". That's why I'm trying the Elk Master.

Speaking of singing:

(Old Todd Rundgren song)

From the album "Hermit of Mink Hollow"

Onomatopoeia every time I see ya
    My senses tell me hubba
    And I just can't disagree
    I get a feeling in my heart that I can't describe
    It's sort of lub, dub, lub, dub
    A sound in my head that I can't describe
    It's sort of zoom, zip, hiccup, drip
    Ding, dong, crunch, crack, bark, meow, whinnie, quack

Onomatopoeia in proximity ya
    Rearrange my brain in a strange cacophony
    I get a feeling somewhere that I can't describe
    It's sort of uh, uh, uh, uh
    A sound in my head that I can't describe
    It's sort of whack, whir, wheeze, whine
    Sputter, splat, squirt, scrape
    Clink, clank, clunk, clatter
    Crash, bang, beep, buzz
    Ring, rip, roar, retch
    Twang, toot, tinkle, thud
    Pop, plop, plunk, pow
    Snort, snuk, sniff, smack
    Screech, splash, squish, squeek
    Jingle, rattle, squeel, boing
    Honk, hoot, hack, belch

Re: That Distinct Report From The Cue Upon...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Can I get a renewed head count on those here who like or dislike a tip with a voice of it's own? <hr /></blockquote> no change from my previous answer-
    http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboa...p;Number=30590

I have a hercules hard tip on my viking cue, and I really like the sound it makes when it hits the cb. I can't really describe the sound, other that it is very clean and distinct. I recently got a Jacoby cue, which came with a lepro. Love the cue to death, but the lepro makes a very dull thud on the cue ball, as opposed to the hercules. The sound on the lepro is about to drive me crazy. The tip doesn't play as well as the hercules, and it makes such a wretched tone. Unfortunately, I am currently too poor to afford a decent tip. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I always had the talisman multilayered and even have a moori on one stick. But I must say, I like the sumo wb that blackheart put on the stick I got from him the best. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

not sure about the thud. i think i just like the action of it.

blu

This is a topic I am somewhat of a madman about.I believe the "singing" sound a cue makes is not only the tip, but reflects on every aspect of the building process of the cue.I've found if the joint is'nt sound,loose ferrule,loose buttcap/wieght bolt or tip this sound wont happen.I have also taken cues that don't make this sound worked on them and found that once these probs are repaired the sound is heard, and the hit is much better.I have heard this tone from house cues all the way up to the most expensive cues with all sorts of different tips and build characteristics with one thing in common, they all had a solid feel/hit.I drove Mike Sigel crazy at the expo in 2000 while buying one of his cues and trying every shaft/butt combination to find that sound. He realized what I was doing when I was listening to the hit and helped me out to find the right combo......Later....Gerry
    Play 14.1....enough said.

The LePro that happened to land on your shaft is merely an inconsistent one, at least to your hardness preference. I have a McDermott with three new shafts, all came with Lepro tips. Two of these play and sound off like a fine instrument, and the third is a grade softer in the tip(imo) and it doesn't dance like the others. If you like hard tips like I do, you should think about reviewing the recommendations in an earlier thread concerning selecting particular hardness levels from a box of LePros. They are good tips, just inconsistent. NOW if you want to cut to the chase, put a black water buffalo on. They are inexpensive and they do everything right, at least for me. I'd love to try the Sumo some day...sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

I think the lepro on the Jacoby is probably one of the better lepro tips I have had(played with lepro's on my old cue for about six months before switching to hercules.) It is by far the hardest lepro tip I have had. I just simply like the hercules tip better, in play and in sound. After playing for about six months, with the hercules I have had trouble adjusting back to a lepro. As I said, I think this one of the best lepro tips I have played with. However, that is not saying much if you generally dislike lepro tips. I would have to say I would fall in the "dislike" category concerning lepro tips.

When I get a little extra cash, I will buy another hercules tip. I would also like to try a talisman or a moori, and use the hercules as an insurance tip. I'll try the talisman/moori first and if I don't like it will switch back to the hercules. I think I have heard that hercules are manufactured by talisman, so there may not be that much difference in the end... I could be wrong on that tho(whether or not talisman produces hercules that it.)