Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Varying The Amount Of Draw On The Cueball

Varying The Amount Of Draw On The Cueball

Getting the right amount of draw consistantly requires a considerable amount of skill.

To vary how far you draw the cueball, do you:

1. Mainly aim the cuetip as low as possible and vary the stroke speed? or

2. Mainly vary how far below center you hit with the cue tip?

3. Adjust both for every draw shot?

4. Say a short prayer before each draw shot?

5. Other?

Re: Varying The Amount Of Draw On The Cueball

Number 1. I only vary position vertically for stuns and stops...sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Tom,
    My aim is near as low as possible and vary stroke speed. There obviously is not one way though because at times I have to vary the amount of english. Speed of stroke is always a factor. Prayers, well I've used a few of them at some point. Now I have to rely on ability. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Usually #1 and very often for #4. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

#1, and I think everybody's relied on #4 a few times for those tough draw shots.

Hi Tom,

Very interesting post. There's only two spots of know of on the cb. I would have to say the amount of follow-through and the speed variance that matters mostly but there's also the angle in which you hit these spots too.

Say for instance the power draw vs. getting from one end of the table to the other. How fast the ball travels while in reverse, to get position or breaking up clusters. The amount of time the cb takes for the draw to take coensides(sp) with the speed IMHO. Experimenting with drawing the ball is a good thing. Especially, for the beginners (under your speed of course), they can draw out of trouble. When their, position play isn't that strong. Also, IMHO. lol Like I don't get into a Pickle once in awhile. hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~watch me draw out of this trouble this Monday. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The general advice often given to most novice players is to aim as low as possible and to vary the stroke speed to change the amount of draw.

The same advice is also given with regards to follow.

But I feel that a more advanced technique is to try and keep a near constant stroke speed, and vary the precise placement of the tip on the ball. This way, a very accurate stroke speed zone (it's not a single exact speed, but a narrow range) can be finely honed. Every player will find a range of stroke speeds that produces the most consistent and accurate results.

Snooker players use the "stun-run through" shot (a follow shot that is not struck very far above center, but with good speed) to produce accurate cue ball control when using follow. They stay within a consistent and accurate range of stroke speeds, to both enhance the accuracy of the pot itself (the cueball and object ball doesn't roll-off as much) and of the stroke delivery.

The same can be done using draw.

However, it does take some practice and time to learn.

The problem (I didn't want to say "drawback" Lol!) with hitting the cue ball as low as possible and varying the stroke speed is that it can be very speed sensitive. A small increase in speed can produce a relatively large increase in draw distance.

Conversley, a small increase in tip height will likely produce a less sensitive change in draw distance.

That said, I tend to do both depending on the circumstance.

Tony
    -how's that for straddling the fence?.....

Hi Chris,
    Interesting reply. Yes the amount of time it takes for low english to take or follow for that matter determines if you can pull off any given shot. Making the shot is important but if the c/b reacts too soon you can be in trouble such as too straight of an angle comming back. Or vise versa if it reacts to slow the angle can be changed creating a wider angle than wanted. Of course knowing when and how and why the c/b reacts as it does is a great advantage in position play not to mention getting yourself out of trouble. LOl Since I found trouble so many times playing, I think I've figured most of the ways out! LOL

There are so many combinations of speed, follow thru and cue angle in the perfect sense, that it takes to have the c/b react exactly as you planned.

I think players would do themselves a great service by using a constant angle (whatever they choose) and vary the above factors to see the difference reaction. Changing to a different angle produces similar results even though the cue ball comes back at a wider or narrow angle depending on the original angle of the shot. Hope this makes sense to everyone, I can explain more if needed. Anyway there is a lot more to it than just saying I hit max low or top and vary speed of stroke. The best answer to Toms question probably is #3 using the variables of english, speed of stroke, follow through and cue angle. LOL Ok I'm hungry now and a little shakey. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] CC, may I suggest you use a nice smooth level stroke, med slow speed, with a full follow through on Monday? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Of course I hope the Doc does the same! I'm sure he will. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rod
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

One other thing that has to be factored in is what type of cloth your shooting on(860, 760, barroom cloth). Also weather that cloth is new or well worn.

You just can't use one generic stroke for all conditions. The same stroke that brings you back 18" on one table, might scratch you on another.

Personally, I always try to hit the same area on the cue ball(about a tip up from bottom). Then I adjust the force of the stoke based on conditions and position needed.

if forced to use a number it's probably be 3. texture everything.

seems like recently, in a fit of self-improvment, i've been trying to look at the c.b. last on some practice shots just to make sure i'm hitting it where i think i am. more often than not, what's happening is that i'm hitting it right where i thought i was aiming but getting more than i expected. i'm getting that i don't really know where i should touch the c.b. till i've established the cue speed (real, not planned) at the end of the final stroke.then i'll texture the tip placement. having shot now over 40 years, i think i've developed an understanding of the relationship between speed and spin and am working on refining my blending of those 2 variables all the way around the c.b.

sure, i can do the drills of just changing speed or spin but that's not the way i shoot. the shot really tells you what it wants.

dan