Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Twain and pool

Mark Twain and pool

There is a pretty common picture of Mr. Clemens standing at a pool table. Anyone know how good he was?

Re: Mark Twain and pool

his speed i do not know
    but here is a hint.

part of his requrements for hiring help (butler, valet) was they must be able to play pool
    so he must have been dedicated enough to aquire some measure of skill.

Hi Soygordo:
    There's a great Mark Twain site @ Ask Jeeves/Mark Twain/Quotations/B (billiards).
    Several photos and lots of other stuff. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    -- Ted in Phoenix

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soygordo:</font><hr> There is a pretty common picture of Mr. Clemens standing at a pool table. Anyone know how good he was? <hr /></blockquote>
    Somewhere, there's a story that goes along with that photo. Clemens didn't play pool, so the story goes, IIRC. He played billiards. So, when he first stepped up to a pool table, he was a little perplexed. The game was general pocket billiards. After easily breaking and running all 15 balls, he makes some quip about the ease of the pocketed version of the game.

That's what I recall, probably from a Byrne offering.

Fred
    <font color="blue">You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark1002000:</font><hr> There's a great Mark Twain site @ Ask Jeeves/Mark Twain/Quotations/B (billiards).
    Several photos and lots of other stuff. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    <hr /></blockquote>Hi landshark1002000,

Can you provide the URL for this? Sounds interesting, but I'm unable to find it... Found lots of other Mark Twain &amp; billiards stuff though.

There is a website for Mark Twain's house. I guess it a sort of Mark Twain museum these days. In anycase, there is a picture of Twain's billiard room and the table there most certainly has pockets. There seems to be little distinction between pool and billiards on most the Twain sites I have seen, but perhaps that picture might bring some light to whether Twain was a pool or billiards player. here is the site: Mark Twain House

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soygordo:</font><hr> There is a website for Mark Twain's house. I guess it a sort of Mark Twain museum these days. In anycase, there is a picture of Twain's billiard room and the table there most certainly has pockets. There seems to be little distinction between pool and billiards on most the Twain sites I have seen, but perhaps that picture might bring some light to whether Twain was a pool or billiards player. here is the site: Mark Twain House <hr /></blockquote>

I'll have to find it, but it might have been that he played a form of English Billiards (which has pockets). I also know that the table in his house isn't the original, and it itself has been restored. There's also mention that the table he did actually play on was a convertible, whatever that meant in those days.

The famous picture in question (or similar) definitely looks like a form of Billiards (note two white balls and a red, presumeably).

http://www.twainquotes.com/billiards3.jpg

Fred

P.S. I found the story:

http://www.boondocksnet.com/twaintex...mtauto20b.html

<font color="blue">You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.</font color>

Twain played both pocket and 3c, the table in his home is not the original one. he did used it to entertain and to "think" smack a few balls around while he came up with more brilliant stories and quotes [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

While attending a billiard tourney on the evening of April 24, 1906, Mr. Twain was called on to speak. He told this story:

THE game of billiards has destroyed my naturally sweet disposition. Once, when I was an underpaid reporter in Virginia City, whenever I wished to play billiards I went out to look for an easy mark. One day a stranger came to town and opened a billiard parlor. I looked him over casually. When he proposed a game, I answered, "All right."

"Just knock the balls around a little so that I can get your gait," he said; and when I had done so, he remarked: "I will be perfectly fair with you. I'll play you left-handed." I felt hurt, for he was cross-eyed, freckled, and had red hair, and I determined to teach him a lesson. He won first shot, ran out, took my half-dollar, and all I got was the opportunity to chalk my cue.

"If you can play like that with your left hand," I said, "I'd like to see you play with your right."

"I can't," he said. "I'm left-handed."

nAz 2012 GOP presidential candidate

Check out the spots on the felt.

A large portion of his biography is dedicated to pool. He talks about several stories about pool and gambling. I think he was a decent player. I found this somewhere on the internet but can't remember the exact site.