Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was YOUR biggest money game?

What was YOUR biggest money game?

Just curious what's the most money our local BBS posters have bet on one game or series of games?

Myself? A measly $10. I know... chump change.

Re: What was YOUR biggest money game?

When I was a 15 or so a guy wanted to back me against some drunks for 1000.00 a game. The drunks didn't go for it...

I don't gamble anymore really.

$1500 a rack 9 ball

Beats the heck out of playing sets if you are in it for the rush. It also helps to have a backer so you can afford to lose 5-10K before you get to the table [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jay M

Back in the early 80's when a friend from Nashville and I were on a road trip and in Oaklahoma City, we found a couple of guys that wanted to play for $1000.00 a rack 9-ball. Over a 3 day time span we managed to nip them for $37,000. From there drove to Houston, blew a radiator hose on our truck, bought a new Sedan Deville and spent the next 4 years cruising the country in style. Ah those were the days.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> $1500 a rack 9 ball<hr /></blockquote>It's kind of hard to beat that one Jay. Maybe you should have saved it until near the end. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] =Tom

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> $1500 a rack 9 ball <hr /></blockquote>
    That is certainly enough to keep your attention. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Since I returned to pool, about two years ago, I haven't been gambling. I find it takes a lot of the fun out of the game. So I have to go back to about 1970, when I was working in a pool room and gambling almost daily. It was a small town and not much in the way of high stakes, just friendly games. The most I ever played for was $100 per rack 9-ball. In that time and place, it was serious money.
    If adjusted for inflation, it may be serious money now too. I don't know.

I was in my local pool room about 7 years ago, an older player was putting on an exibetion show for the room. After the show he spotted a local on pocket player 10 - 6 for 100 a game. They played for a few hours and broke even. The older player quit saying the bet was too small. When he said that a old time player named Sonny (he is listed in The Lions and The Lambs as a lion) got up walked to the table and put $20,000+ down he said is that enough? The player looked shocked. Sony reached in his pocket pulled out another roll of cash and said " If you play two sets we'll play 5 ahead for $40,000" The player declined and left. Even though the game didn't happen that was the most cash I have ever seen put on the table. I learned something from this NEVER try to high roll an old time pool player. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Carlton31698:</font><hr> I learned something from this NEVER try to high roll an old time pool player. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

I also learned something, rob pool pool players if they're carrying 40 grand! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Though it wasn't my own $$, $2000 races to 9, 9-ball, giving the 7-out and breaks.