Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell A Newbie Or Not, Ferrule Damage

Tell A Newbie Or Not, Ferrule Damage

I mentioned to an older gent the other day that his tip was getting near ready for replacing, his grandson bought him the cue for Christmas, and he was ALREADY shrouding the top of his ferrule with shroomed tip material. I assume he got a soft tip with this non expensive cue, and I also guess that he and his grandson shoot a lot, but neither seemed "in the general know" about tip replacement. I mentioned I did tips for $15 a pop and the younger man gazed at the tip on his cue, put a finger on the ferrule and asked, "Do you replace ALL of the tip?" He obviously figured the white part was replaceable as well. Regardless I dropped the subject, and then I bumped back into them this past Saturday but did not mention the tip again. Honestly speaking folks, this ferrule will begin to be destroyed very soon, you could hear it getting close. My decision was to leave well enough alone since they seemed put off a little, I guess maybe they felt I was "working them" for business. What would you do? I'm sure they will continue to be there most every Saturday...sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Re: Tell A Newbie Or Not, Ferrule Damage

It's hard to say what I would do without seeing how they reacted to the first comments. If they are receptive at all I would really try to give them a little information. Sometimes the things that keep people participating in new past times (golf - pool - etc.etc) is the willingness of people to help them understand the games and equipment and enjoy them more.
    If you think they feel you are just trying to "sell them" assure them you dont have to be the one to do it, you just dont want to see them mess up there new cues.

P.S. Are you the same Sid that used to play on Kali's Virtual Pool servers?

Bring Back Straight Pool!

Hi Sid,

Please don't let these newbies screw up their "non expensive" cues just because you don't want to feel "pushy" or whatever. Not every newbie has the benefit of the CCB like I do, and there's an awful lot of knowledge that most people just don't know. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Please help them learn what you know about the care and feeding of their new cues. They'll appreciate you for it.

Even if they think you're "working them" for the business, if they give in to you, they'll soon learn that you were, in fact, looking out for their best interests and you'll have customers for life (not that you're working them for the business or anything... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

formerly Bozeman, MT; now living in Battle Creek, MI

sid...I would give them another chance, and like Susan and Woody said...give them a little info, without feeling like they have to use you for a repair. Inform them of the difference between the tip and the ferrule...what each does, and how it works. Tell them that when the sidewall of the tip becomes thin like a dime (or is badly mushroomed, like you described), it is time to have the tip replaced. Failure to do this now, may result in splitting or shattering the shaft, necessitating spending a lot more than the cost of a tip. Explain that many people and places do this kind of simple repair, and suggest somewhere like Hawleys...then mention that the cost will likely be the same or more than if you do it for them; plus they have to take it in and go get it. You will be happy to take it from them and deliver it back to them at the poolhall! You certainly have my permission to print this out and give it to them...from me!

Scott Lee

Since he asked you a question, I would assume he was at least somewhat interested. I would have awnsered his questions about the tip and the ferrule. That's not being pushy, thats being helpful.

The purpose of a business is to provide something that people need or want. Sometimes you have to educate the customer or potential customer because they might not even realize something is wrong. They are not usually experts in the field that the business person is. Much business can be generated this way. Advising can be done in a friendly, matter of fact way that lets the potential customer decide if they want the product or service.

No need to be pushy, ...unless your selling used cars or vacuum cleaners I guess. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Lol. =Tom

You might have just given me a conversation opener Tom, and yet I now begin to wonder if the younger guy was authentic or sarcastic with his remark about the whole tip after hearing me state $15. I watched him play a little last Saturday and he wasn't bad, and even had a positional idea of where he wanted whitie at times. But I may take your advice and bring it up to the grandson, using the "whole tip" as a topic and go from there. The thing I don't want to do is create an unfriendly barrier by seeming to be pushy about it. I'll also suggest the in-house guy who does tips, but he's seldom there these days. Maybe that will help. Bottom line is I'd like to at least let the guy know what will result in his ferrule of his X-mas gift if much time is put on it like it is..sid~~~I do a better job though, even considered doing it complimentary, just because ;-)
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>

....even considered doing it complimentary, just because <hr /></blockquote>

That's what I was going to suggest. Give 'em a freebie. When he sees how nice the new tip looks he'll understand where you were coming from. Just don't put a hard tip on if he's used to a softie.

When I have that situation, I gently suggest that the present ferrule can be saved if the tip is replaced very soon (NOW), but waiting will cost $XX additional to replace the ferrule.

Troy

Not really talking about your case, but some people just don't realize. A guy I play on a team with (He is a good player) bought a Meucci a couple years ago. After a few months the sidewall of his tip was down to maybe 1/16" max.

This guy uses a lot of draw and every time you could hear that "tink". It just made me cringe. After about 2 or 3 months I finally convinced him to get it replaced. Afterwards he couldn't believe how much better it played. Some people just have to be convinced.

If I am familiar enough with the player (friend or aquaintence) I will offer my observation about the need to replace a tip. If I do not know the player and they ask, I will offer my opinion. Otherwise,, to each their own.

From years ago;
    I know a guy that cuts his LePro in half before using it. He claims that the closer to the ferrule the harder it is, and he likes his tips hard. He also said that he discovered this about 10 years ago. I tend to argee with his ovservations. When I played with a LePro, it did seem to change from medium to hard with it got closer to the ferrule.