Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Mo'ing The School On The CCB, Selling Aint It?

Pro Mo'ing The School On The CCB, Selling Aint It?

Ya know I've seen authors run off for promoting their books, and cue sellers done the same ASAP, AND with a vengance no less...why is it that this Predator School salesman hasn't caught heat here for hawking this bunch???sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Re: Pro Mo'ing The School On The CCB, Selling Aint It?

yeah, i ve noticed that there is a newbies board, maybe there could be a board for merchants and sellers, then we would not have to bother with it on the information board here. I can't imagine this group has not come up with this idea before, I m sorry to say old things, but it is practical.

by the way anyone interested in buy a rusted yugo car on blocks, great sound system, contact me.

honky

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>I've seen authors run off for promoting their books, and cue sellers done the same ASAP, AND with a vengeance ...why is it that this Predator School salesman hasn't caught heat here for hawking this bunch???<hr /></blockquote>Professionals Selling On Internet Forums
    Charlie Williams posted one announcement per each session of his pool school.

Gerald Huber, the author I'm sure your referring to, whose advertising heyday was slightly before my time on CCB, from what I heard made numerous references to his book, and it was tolerated for quite a while until the quantity of his plugs became ridiculous. I would hardly consider Charlie's single commercial announcement comparable.

Aside from that, he has already received considerable criticism for his post in the thread that he made it. That wasn't enough?

Expand The Sport Or Condemn It?
    Much has and occasionally continues to be made about how professional pool is not popular enough with the public and very few professionals can make a decent living at it. There is no question in my mind that one of the biggest reasons for this is the lack of awareness of events on every level: local, regional, and national. This is largely because the main places to find the people to inform are in competition, not cooperation with each other. Amongst them there is suspicion, infighting, hegemony, and uncooperation. This applies to pool halls, major venues, players and promoters.

Do CCB'ers Help Or Hurt?
    Even many members of the CCB are quite willing to quickly jump on any bandwagon that is trashing some participant of the sport that is unpopular that day. That is in between the times they are paying lip service to wanting the sport to expand and lamenting the lack of money available to the pros and others.

I'd encourage anyone of Charlie's stature to post more often, not less on CCB, although not with just commercials of course. Would you really rather read my posts more than his?

I'd prefer to wish Charlie's venture success. If I wanted to go to his school I would, and if I thought it was too expensive for me I wouldn't; but I wouldn't condemn him because I am unwilling or unable to meet his price. I would admire the commitment of those who do attend his school and who support him and the pool industry in general.
    =TB

I believe you might have missed one of the biggest threads on the board lately. Go back and read his threads. While some are not picking one side or the other about Charlie's character they have almost all agreed that his spamming is getting old.

eg8r

Re: Sid_Vicious

I believe I just saw your post on selling a Stealth Jump Cue. Same exact thing, although I don't see anything wrong with either one. I had a couple of shafts listed months ago and everybody jumped on my case. Not trying to start trouble about your post but it always looks different from our own viewpoint.

Well said, Tom. In general, when others are paying to advertise on this site, I think it unfair to allow some to market via the CCB without paying. However, I would be inclined to let periodic posts such as Charlie's slide.

Tom, this is a website owned by a magazine that sells ads. Why should they allow free advertising here by hit and run spammers? Does it make sense for them to compete against themselves?

Fran

Hi Fran:
    I don't think that any forum wants commercial interests to use the forum as a free advertising medium willy-nilly. On the other hand, the readers of any forum are generally interested in anything to do with the topic of the forum. So I would say that one post about any pool related event would generally be welcomed as informative, albeit also commercial. If it is a really big event or one that people would be expected to travel a long way for and require long advance planning, I'd consider a couple of posts spread out over a month or two as desireable information also.

Of course, if that one post comes from someone who started a player union and boycotted the biggest 9-Ball event of the year; he may get some flack no matter what he posted due to residual resentment some people harbor from that situation.

I also think it would be appropriate for someone who gets a benefit from the forum to contribute something back.

Charlie, how about occasionally chiming in on some of the 'How-To' or 'Best-Way' threads that are always popping up on the forum? Throw us a bone now and then. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

=Tom

Who announced Brady's 9ballfantasy tournament in Va. Beach?
    Who announced VF?

Surely someone benefitts in some way for the distribution of that information.I personally like hearing about events. I think that Charlie's pool school seems to be different because CW is advertising his own product.

Where do we draw the line?
    When I first got on here, I was thinking about selling my 8ft table. WW told me to be careful what I said because advertising wasnt allowed.

Yet I see folks selling their individual stuff or at least announcing that they have it.

It looks like there are some grey areas. I think that if Charlie isn't allowed to advertise here, then everyone should follow the rules. Telling the board that I have a stealth, joss or whatever I want to get rid of is still advertising imo.

blu

Re: Sid_Vicious

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe I just saw your post on selling a Stealth Jump Cue. Same exact thing, although I don't see anything wrong with either one. I had a couple of shafts listed months ago and everybody jumped on my case. Not trying to start trouble about your post but it always looks different from our own viewpoint. <hr /></blockquote> I think you might be mistaken. The board tends to overlook the advertising as long as you are posting here regularly and not trying to sell everything you have. I do not remember your post, but since you only have 22 posts and most of those probably came from your ad that is where the problem lies. I am guessing here, but I would venture to believe one of your first 10 or so posts was an ad to sell your shafts. It is easier to get away with it, if you have been posting regularly on the board.

In contrast to Sid, CW has ONLY posted ads, and that is the real issue.

eg8r